Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust ... Just Weld It ? (Read 1 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Exhaust ... Just Weld It ?
11/14/06 at 00:13:23

Just looking for opinions here. I started with the stock can that most everyone agrees is a huge waste of weight and the sound has no character at all; especially considering our Savages are "Thumpers."

Tried a Dyna muff with an approx. 4" adapter, and it sounded too tame. Tried a big turnout with a long neck and very little baffle, and it was just too loud, and I didn't want to choke it with a baffle in the small diameter neck...

So now I'm back to the Dyna. This time without the 4" adapter. It sounds much better, and only a little decel backfire. Kind of surprising how much difference removing that 4" of pipe made. The bracket lines up good and solid, and there is enough length and angle that I'm not concerned about rear brake heat.

I have the #55 and #155 jets to do the carb as soon as my socket (allen) head capscrew set arrives. But I suspect that most of the backfire I'm getting now is due to a bit of leakage at the off angle header pipe/muffler connection. Since I think I'm pretty happy with the sound now, I'm considering just welding the joint and be done with it for good. Looks like my heat shield will hide the ugly part pretty well. Any warnings or reasons not to proceed with welding?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Exhaust ... Just Weld It ?
Reply #1 - 11/14/06 at 06:28:37

I love to weld.  Go for it.  If you decide you do not like it you can always cut it off.  Only takes a minute.

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #2 - 11/14/06 at 15:44:01

Its a weld or a clamp. i used a clamp but i suppose if I had a welder I would have used it. Good luck with the rejet. I have basically the same set up as you and its working wonderfully.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 11/14/06 at 16:53:38

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I love to weld.  Go for it.  If you decide you do not like it you can always cut it off.  Only takes a minute.

Excellent point. The tendency is to think of welding as permanant. But my die grinder with a cut-off wheel and sander say it ain't so!  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:28:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust ... Just Weld It ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.