Send Topic Print
Harley tank adaption (Read 19 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Harley tank adaption
11/12/06 at 20:43:35

Took the tank off the bike today and messed around a bit with a five gallon Harley tank off of a softail. I'm pretty sure I can make it work, but it will involve some surgery that will pretty much assure that the old tank won't go back on as I will have to remove the two welded on rods with the rubber wheels that hold the stock tank in place. There's also some electrical stuff that'll need to be moved as well, such as the solenoid, but I would think that's no biggie.

Getting a bit nervous about "what if it don't work" and it's so close but no cigar time. The gap in the tank looks wide enough to slide down over the frame, but it's not a sure thing until those to posts get cut off. The tank's a couple inches longer than stock, but I was thinking of moving the seat back a bit anyway for more leg room. Anyone done this "surgery" before or have any ideas about getting things back to being able to re-do the stock tank if need be? It sounds like some of you guys have done quite a bit of cut-and-paste on your bikes from what I've been reading in here.

Thanx in advance.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Harley tank adaption
Reply #1 - 11/13/06 at 05:23:29

I think you are heading into unexplored territory, but if you document what works (and what doesn't work real well), a lot of people on this forum will be in your debt. Don't forget to come back and let people know how the ride is when you get that 250 mile plus range.

Kevin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 11/13/06 at 05:38:31

Take a little time to measure ACCURATELY the tunnel on the HD tank and compare to the frame backbone with and without the stock tank mounts.  You will be able to assure yourself that it will fit or not after the mounts are removed, before you actually remove them.  
It is not difficult, just takes a little time.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 11/13/06 at 05:39:48

measure three times, cut once! the beautiful thing about steel, is that you can always weld it a little longer or put it back together Wink try that with wood  Grin savage bobber dave recently joined this board, and has put a sportster tank on his bike. it is the 1st harley tank job i remember seeing here, i'm considering a harley tank job too, but i cant get the bike away from debby long enough to take it apart, again Roll Eyes good luck, take lots of pics

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 11/13/06 at 05:52:39

azDebraD hide the poor savage looks like somebody is giving it the eye and thinking of more torture!

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 11/13/06 at 06:27:56

Thanx for the come backs. Everything I read is common sense reassurance. I'll be taking baby steps with tape measure in one hand and camera in the other.

I wanna do this Harley tank thing since it's already sitting here. Got it at a scratch and dent sale at the local "Hawg" store. Same place I got a pair of Sportster muffs for $20 total, still in the box. Nice bunch of guys in there. Soon I'll be finding out how nice the Midas guys are about the muffler adapter with a bend.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 11/13/06 at 07:16:30

The couple i've tried to fit keep running into problems where the frame widens at the end of the square back bone tubing.  The HD tanks that I've had my hands on are not wide enough to fit over the spread  there...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 11/13/06 at 11:31:48

Mine is an old HD-spec race tank. Hacked off the stock Savage front frame mounts and didn't look back. For me, the rear mount is the issue, as the front I just drilled the frame and through bolted.

Tank as salvaged from the scrap tank pile at work...

Primed and front bolted on...

Painted and installed, still needs to be topcoated, the flat black looks cheap...bike is still devolving...

If you've already paid for the bike, make it yours. I've been cutting up perfectly good bikes in order to make them mine since 1987. Holler if you need help.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
azDebraD
YaBB Newbies

I love the desert.
Year round riding is
great.

arizona
Reply #8 - 11/13/06 at 18:45:10

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
azDebraD hide the poor savage looks like somebody is giving it the eye and thinking of more torture!

i don't think that is a problem because i hide it under my butt all the time.  Kiss  he might get to have it after i am either on my H D or next summer when it is to hot to ride for me. Grin

lady rider and loving it
sv2hugger   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 11/13/06 at 21:44:23

On the Harley tank thing, I'm not so worried about the back mount. I'm pretty sure the worst that can happen is I make a flat plate, bolt it to the existing two threaded holes and drill a hole for the back mounting tab on the Big "H". It only has one hole so something needs to be done there anyway.

Seems I read here somewhere that you can get longer speedometer cables somewhere. I either have to go stock up on the handle bars (not keen on having it off to the side) or use the wireless unit I have for my mountain bike that does a bunch of stuff. I would kinda like to stick to the original speedo and lights around it. I know how much off it is by now.

A side issue. Has anyone ever considered heat fins on the bottom of the motor housing? It seems to do wonders for computer chips.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #10 - 11/14/06 at 04:01:19

Jack_650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Seems I read here somewhere that you can get longer speedometer cables somewhere. I either have to go stock up on the handle bars (not keen on having it off to the side) or use the wireless unit I have for my mountain bike that does a bunch of stuff. I would kinda like to stick to the original speedo and lights around it. I know how much off it is by now.

The wireless bicycle comp will NOT work due to interference with the ignition.
Fit one with a wire and put the indicator lights on/in the upper triple tree.
Remove the speedocable alltogether and plug the connection on the block.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

LED indicator lights

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #11 - 11/20/06 at 22:35:23

So, the next day it's warm enough here in MN I plan to roll the bike out and cut off the stock tank front mounting pegs from the frame. The Harley tank has about a 4" wide tunnel down the middle so it doesn't appear to be any problems there. Move the solenoid and rearrange the horn a bit to let it drop down close to the frame should do it. My question now that I've seen what's going to happen is: I'm going to need some extra length in most of the wiring that goes under the tank. Is the wiring on this bike affected by splicing in a couple inches of wire here and there? Are there going to be resistance or capacity issues? I intend to solder all connections.

JC

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #12 - 11/21/06 at 04:56:42

if your connections are good, the wire doesn't care how long it is, in this short application. go for it

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #13 - 11/26/06 at 14:56:42

So far, the stock tank front posts have been cut off, the solenoid is hanging down, the horn is hanging down and the Harley five gallon tank looks like it almost belongs on this bike. Moving the horn is going to be easy enough but I'm a little learly of that solenoid. Is there a longer cable available for it? As in getting something of the shelf that's longer from an auto parts store. I think I read in this forum somewhere about guys taking it off and doing something with it in a manual mode. What do it do exactly anyway? Pretty sure it has something to do with starting the little pig iron beauty. Then pretty much the only problem will be getting rid of those pesky decals that Harley insists on plastering on everything before I paint or powdercoat.

I've tried to get a picture to go into this posting like some of you do, but the directions didn't seem to work on a Mac like they do for you Window folks.

JC

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 11/26/06 at 18:30:33

Jack_650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
....I've tried to get a picture to go into this posting like some of you do, but the directions didn't seem to work on a Mac like they do for you Window folks.
The picture first has to be placed in Internet addressable space -- bikepics.com, your own website, or your share of savageriders.com ($10/2 years, includes e-mail.)  Can you FTP your pictures onto a site?  (Do MACs have an FTP client that makes copying files between you and FTP sites easy? -- they gotta have!)  We need pictures!

Once the pictures are Internet accessable pasting them into a message is simply (square brackets instead of curly):  {img}http://address.of.picture/picture.jpg{/img}

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 04:10:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley tank adaption

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.