Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question about sealing the exhaust with Permatex (Read 15 times)
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Question about sealing the exhaust with Permat
Reply #15 - 11/13/06 at 21:47:49

I run Ultra Copper Permatex on all my cycle exhausts. You need to let it dry 24 hours before running the engine. I have never seen any of my numerous bikes smoke because of it. It is good stuff. I've had some on my Savage with a SuperTrapp for about a year and a half. If you run your bike before it dries, you'll blow it out of the connection too.

Make sure your parts are sqeaky clean. Use some solvent (lacquer thinner or mineral spirits) and some fine steel wool to get everything tidy before applying the stuff.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #16 - 11/17/06 at 16:38:32

Thanks, Dynobob.  

I use some sandpaper on the surfaces, but I did not use a solvent.

I've been out of town for a few days so I haven't had a chance to work with it lately.  I plan on working on it tomorrow.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #17 - 11/18/06 at 14:38:02

An update on my Permatex sealant issue.

I discovered the noxious oder I was smelling was probably the soap solution I was using for leak detection. I used a different soap today and I did not notice the odor. Turns out the Dawn dishwashing detergent I was using last week smells really bad when it gets hot.  

It looks like the adapter is leaking where it fits over the header pipe.  When I first installed the adapter, I used an automotive type "U" bolt and saddle clamp.  I snugged it up really tight and it deformed the pipe.  The section where the clamp was is smaller diameter than the rest of the adapter.  I think this may be a problem, so I'm going to try to expand the pipe and re-seal it.   I may have to cut that section out.

The exhaust flange bolts were loose again, too. Sad

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 11/18/06 at 15:46:19

There used to be a ultra red permatex that I've used on exhaust systems. Never had any problems with it and it worked better than the ultra black or copper. Getting it in the joints is the key to any sealer.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:30:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about sealing the exhaust with Permatex

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.