Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Owner Questions (Read 7 times)
Gulfstream

Johnny Come Lately

Pooler, Georgia
New Owner Questions
11/12/06 at 09:54:41

Just bought a 96 for the wife to learn on, it has been neglected in the past so we're in the process of doing a restoration of sorts. The engine/tranny covers have a lot of corrosion, what is the best way to clean then up? I am thinking of bead blasting them, has anyone tried this? Would it require a clear coat afterwards? Also, lots of the other metals like the handlebar switch housings, fork lower sliders, etc are also corroded (typical white bumpy corrosion) any preferred (easy) removal methods or products? Any insight or hints from those who have been down this road would be appreciated!

96-Harley Dyna Muffler, Spacer Mod, 155 Main Jet, New Mopar Yellow Paint.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: New Owner Questions
Reply #1 - 11/12/06 at 10:06:43

If it hasn't been cared for the fuel system is probably in bad shape.  Drain all the gas out of the tank and inspect for rust, etc.  You can fill the tank with marbles and shake them around then shop vac/rinse all the debris out if you see rust/crud in there.  That would be my first step, might consider doing the petc0ck conversion described in here as well.  11-year old vacuum diaphram may not be trustworthy...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 11/12/06 at 10:53:48

Personally I see no reason to ruin a perfectly good Rat.  However, IF I were to be wanting to clean/polish/restore anything automotive (or motorcycle) the first place I would check would be <u>Eastwood</u>.

WWW   IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #3 - 11/15/06 at 05:32:54

You will have to experiment. neverdul works sometimes,ooooo steel wool gently! or nolox ( in a green bottle) and lots of sore fingers,LOL.covers should clean up pretty well. good luck and happy rubbin!

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #4 - 11/15/06 at 05:35:02

oops , almost forgot 2000 sand paper. on the forks go with the grain, not up and down!

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #5 - 11/15/06 at 08:46:28

I replaced my 02 bent forks with some scratched and
corroded ones from an 86 ( e-bay ). I used wet and dry
sandpaper, 400 to 1500, then went with rubbing compound and finished with polishing compound. They
came out almost like new. try the compound first and see how it goes.  These bike are a lot of fun to fiddle
around with. Get a Clymers manual, the best thing I did.

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/15/06 at 16:35:15

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 20:27:10 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Gulfstream

Johnny Come Lately

Pooler, Georgia
Reply #7 - 11/18/06 at 20:47:58

Thanks for the info! I'm going to try bead blasting the engine covers next week...I'll post up some pics of the before and after. I disassembled the carb, did the spacer mod and cleaned it...running a LOT better. Found a pretty big oil leak where the previous owner had the rocker cover off...he didn't have the bolt grommets in the right places. I'm going to also install one of my take-off mufflers from my Dyna Superglide...hopefully it will sound better than the stock can...it's wimpy! I also bought a Sportster seat and Dyna handlebar off of eBay, so I have my work cut out for me! Anyway, again thanks...lots of good info here!

96-Harley Dyna Muffler, Spacer Mod, 155 Main Jet, New Mopar Yellow Paint.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #8 - 11/19/06 at 05:06:03

it sounds to me, like your right on track! Cheesy

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:21:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Owner Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.