Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front Tire Size or Brand Matching (Read 22 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Front Tire Size or Brand Matching
11/09/06 at 00:02:19

Hey folks, Using the forum's search feature there is a wealth of information on what size of REAR tires per brand might fit on the Savage, but little about changing the FRONT tire!

So here's the deal... I bought my old 1987 with around 6.5k miles on it, and the original IRC 140/80-15 and 100/90-19 are still on it. They still looked good as far as tread depth (two previous owners were old men, and probably rode the bike pretty easy).

However, under recent close inspection I noticed very small weather cracking on the tires near the rims. This set me out on a budget tire search, as I've already been spending far more on this old bike than I will ever hope to recoup.

So I found a SUPER deal on a brand new      CHENG SHIN HI-MAX 140/90-15. I gave .99 cents for this brand new tire on eBay. You heard that right, a brand new rear tire for .99 pennies! Well... plus $20 shipping, but that's still a he!!a deal. To top that: The tire is coming from the shop of Michael Andretti! Yikes! OK, so much for the bragging and name dropping... on to my real question:

I don't mind the tread pattern on this rear tire, but the not-so-well matching mate-front tire is really really fugly. Also, Since I'm increasing the diameter of the rear tire, I think it would be a good idea to do likewise on the front to keep the geometry of the tire sizes similar to stock size ratio. So I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to what to do.

Anyone tried to fit a bigger tire under the front fender? Perhaps going up to a 110/90-19 might fit. Or I might be able to slot the front fender mounting holes a little to give a bit more room… And what about trying to match up other aspects like complimentary contact patch and traction at any given speed and lean angle? I’ve kind of liked the way the bike has handled with the stock tires since I put the wide bars on, and would prefer to not mess that up if possible.

Once again, any helpful suggestions or opinions much appreciated!

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Front Tire Size or Brand Matching
Reply #1 - 11/09/06 at 05:01:18

I asked my dealer to put a 110/90-19 on front & he refused. I asked why & he said the rim was too narrow. I don't know if he was right or not so I just went with the 100. But, for what it's worth, he also said my 140/90-15 wouldn't corner as well as the 140/80 & he was wrong there. He rides a GXR.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 11/09/06 at 05:47:40

here was the chart from awhile back  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

it listed these 19" tires - the stock rim is a 19x2.15 the 110/90 me880 on the '95 certainly fills the rim and the fender - it is list as the minimum size for a 110mm (2.15/2.50/2.75) looks to me the rim is just too narrow to go any bigger without rolling the tire up

19" Tyres  Permitted rim  

275*19    1.40/1.60/1.85  
70/90*19  

300*19     1.60/1.85/2.15  
360*19  

325*19     1.85/2.15/2.50  
350*19  
410*19  
90/90*19  
90/100*19  
100/90*19  

110/90*19     2.15/2.50/2.75  
120/90*19  

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 11/09/06 at 06:55:06

A pal of mine has a 90/90 tire on the front of his Savage ... the lower profile sidewall as compared to the stock 100/90 looks really nice ... he says it handles "crisper" too ... can't comment, 'cause I haven't ridden it (yet) ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 11/09/06 at 09:35:51

FWIW. On one of these Savage forums a rider who went up had problems with tire growth at speed and the tire rubbing on the inner fender support. W/O a belt like a radial the tire grows like a dragster tire as the speed increases. Brand might make a difference. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 11/09/06 at 10:50:43

Lots of good food for thought in the replies so far folks... thanks. Though some have raised even more questions in my mind about the tire swelling and causing problems; or having a SMALLER front tire. Which besides the mentioned lower profile,  might equalize the front:rear size ratio a bit and actually handle a bit better. Hmm...

Of course, I could always just get the IRC 100/90-19 "Wild Flare" because the flames are pretty  Wink

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #6 - 11/09/06 at 18:25:09

I wouldn't run a cheap NOS (new old stock) tire on a two wheeler for safety reasons. You can find some pretty decent inexpensive tires such as Kenda or IRC. Chen Shin is the bottom of the barrel and I would avoid them if there's an alternative. Your life is worth a $25 or $30 tire.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 11/09/06 at 19:07:15

I ran a Kenda on my Magna and was very happy with it, liked it better than the stock Dunlop.  Rubber was very soft and grippy, so I don't think it will last as long as a Dunlop tho...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 11/09/06 at 20:54:12

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I wouldn't run a cheap NOS (new old stock) tire on a two wheeler for safety reasons. You can find some pretty decent inexpensive tires such as Kenda or IRC. Chen Shin is the bottom of the barrel and I would avoid them if there's an alternative. Your life is worth a $25 or $30 tire.

The auction states the tire is "new" and nowhere does it mention NOS. The picture looks like a new tire just as I've seen hanging at a dealer. Who knows how long ANY tire has been in the warehouse or dealer stock before selling. Even if a tire was 3-4 years old I'm not sure I would consider it NOS. Perhaps after 8-10 years, depending on storage conditions.

As for CHENG SHIN being "bottom of the barrel" That is a matter of opinion. I've used them on dirt bikes under extreme hard use without problems, and seen other riders shred more expensive tires on the same trails and conditions. Along the line of opinions about tire brands, I've read or heard bad things about just about all tire manufacturers at one time or another: All Avons are crap; Bridgestone are dangerous; etc... etc... Have to say though, that I've heard/read very few complaints about Metezler, and Dunlop seems to only have a few detractors.

The tire I have on the way will be inspected under magnification for any signs of deterioration (that is how I found the micro weather cracks on my old tires) and if the tire is rotting, it won't go on. Otherwise, I have no reason to believe it will be any problem.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 11/13/06 at 02:35:01

I had a chance this past Sat. to Ride my pals old '87 LS with the 90/90 Bridgestone on the front (he has Sportster bars on the stock bar clamps too BTW) ... and I can say, that besides actually looking better than the stock 100/90, the 90/90 gives the Savage a much livelier front end ... Bike turns in very quickly!
When time comes to replace my stock front rubber, I'll be seriously considering a 90/90 tire!

BTW I also had a chance to Ride his VS800 Intruder ... "wicked" is all I can say!  Shocked

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 11/13/06 at 12:38:57

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I had a chance this past Sat. to Ride my pals old '87 LS with the 90/90 Bridgestone on the front (he has Sportster bars on the stock bar clamps too BTW) ... and I can say, that besides actually looking better than the stock 100/90, the 90/90 gives the Savage a much livelier front end ... Bike turns in very quickly!
When time comes to replace my stock front rubber, I'll be seriously considering a 90/90 tire!

BTW I also had a chance to Ride his VS800 Intruder ... "wicked" is all I can say!  Shocked

Thanks for the feedback Perry. Don't know that I'll bother matching brands, especially since I'm not going with stock rear size anyway. I may try the front in a Dunlop or IRC... about anything of reasonalbe quality that comes by as a real bargain.

After looking at one of the bobber-chopper projects shown on the forum lately; which had the matching front to the Cheng Shin rear I have on the way, I've decided it's not really that un- attractive of a tire anyways.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 11/13/06 at 14:16:54

When mine is ready for new tires (meaning as soon as I get the thing back together), I'll be ordering Maxxis or Coker. Maxxis is Cheng Shin's higher end label. They sell a 19 inch wide whitewall that would look really good on my barhopper Savage.

For a cheap tire, Cheng Shin isn't bad. Around here you'll get 5-8K miles out of Kenda, Cheng Shin, Lien Shin and similar Taiwanese/Red Chinese tires. Dunlop (USA made) about 12K miles. Dunlop (Japanese made by Sumitomo) should go 15-20K miles. Avon? Don't bother, it is too wet here for 90% of Avon's production. Metzeler or Continental? They will dry rot before the tread wears out, but a bit slippery in the rain. Seems to hold for any weight/displacement where I live. Just get the highest sidewall rating you can (74H versus stock 60 something) and ride the thing.

Aesthetically pleasing front tires? If you find a decent tread pattern, in a whitewall, let me know. I don't like the modern tread designs, but don't trust the old straight rib style. I ride year round, including sub-freezing temperatures.

Off t get chainsaw fuel. Last night's wind storm ripped a couple trees out of the ground and shattered a couple others. Those were 60mph gusts, Wednesday should see 90mph gusts. Blew the solo seat right off my Savage.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #12 - 11/18/06 at 10:59:10

Just a follow-up on the 99˘ Cheng Shin Hi-Max 140/90-15 rear tire I got from the Michael Andretti shop. UPS man dropped it off the other day and inspection with a magnifying glass shows absolutely no sign of deterioration. Even after shipping charges the tire is a super value, even if it isn’t my first choice of brands.
(First choice for me would be Dunlop.)

Now if I can just remember where I left those big old tire irons. The last time I put a cycle tire on was over 10 years ago. It was a stiff sidewall knobby on the rear of a dirt bike, and I recall being sweat covered and cussing (more than normal) by the time it was done.

Anyone got any magic for making rear tires go on easy?

IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #13 - 11/18/06 at 11:23:24

I just put my rear on.  I went with the 140/90-15.  The thing was huge, it was hard to get the bike high enough to get it in there.  I didnt bother to put the belt guard back on. The clymer ha a nice step-by-step on how to do it.  I picked up some grease from checker for the axle and the different spacers.  The bike leans a bit forward now.  It would be really rough If I hadnt done the seat mod

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:29:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Tire Size or Brand Matching

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.