Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rear signal lights - as markers????? (Read 10 times)
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
rear signal lights - as markers?????
11/08/06 at 19:54:42

Hi!  I was riding in a lot of fog today, and I realized that other than my red taillight, the bike isn't lit up in the back.  I believe the newer S40s have the rear signal lights set up to be lit up all the the time, for safety.  Plus the S40, I think might have hasard lights too???

Anyway, has anyone changed their savage turn signal lights in the rear, to be on constantly, as marker lights, and then still function as turn signals as needed?  Or can this arrangement be done easily?  Or, does the S40 have lights with duel functions that could be installed on my 2000 savage?  (signals + marker lights)

The signal lights in the front of my bike seem to be on all the time - so they seem to be markers and turn signal lights already.

DianeS.

Just wondering if I can change my lighting system, or if it would be a major hassle.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: rear signal lights - as markers?????
Reply #1 - 11/08/06 at 21:23:02

I know Paladin and I have both installed this Turn Signal Conversion Kit for Stem Mounted Housing Style and I for one think it works very well.  Paladin tried it out and liked it and that was enough for me since was just shy of the cost if it wasn't bright enough.  I think it is.  One note of caution: I am pretty sure its sensing circuitry will only work with actual bulbs and not if you've installed LED clusters.  It uses LED clusters and so doesn't pose an undue additional strain on your electrical system.  You keep your amber lenses and the LEDs produce red light.  That way you can have red lighting for most purposes (running and brake lights) and amber turn signals.  I installed mine about a year after installing a brakelight modulator and the whole shebang works together well.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #2 - 11/08/06 at 23:40:51

I am contemplating a set of these for the ol thumper:

Quote:
All four lights in this set have two internal lamps. One is normal intensity for tail or marker lights, the other is a super bright stop / turn signal lights.

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 11/09/06 at 14:34:41

my s 40 just has regular turn signals in the back..i ve added 2 led license plate bolts tyed to the brake light,also 2 small led bullets mounted to the side of the license plate/tail light  bracket tyed to the running lights...have considered adding another set off red running lights, theres a bracket that mounts to the license plate bolts that you can mount wires through the stem style  lights...if you look at the project as an upgrade it wont be a hassle...unless you learn to tinker,then none of its a hassle just fun..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #4 - 11/09/06 at 14:49:11

If you want to change out the factory lights to do this then I can be of some help. I put the "mini-bullet" style lights on the back of "Thing" and wired them to be on as markers as well as turn indicators. You will need to get lights that have a dual element bulb though. The wiring is pretty easy. Just tie the existing turn signal wire into the high voltage side and then tie the low voltage side into the tail light wire (Not the brake light wire!!!). You can tell which wire is which by looking at the bulb as it lights up. One element will be brighter than the other. The existing ground wires in the harness for the factory lights will probably not be needed if the lights ground through the monting stem. Mine did. GL

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 11/09/06 at 14:58:14

The rear turn signals can be amber or red.
The rear running (tail) light must be red.
The brake lights must be red.

Many ways to do this.

You could add a pair of dual filament red lamps, or dual intensity red LEDs.  Simply tie into the existing brake/run leads going to the tail light.

You can get the above conversion that Savage_Rob and I did.  Involves snaking wires along the existing wires, adding the small solidstate adapters under the seat.

You can convert the existing turn signals from single filament to dual filament, switch to red lenses, and add a logic pack under the seat to convert from separate stop/turn leads to a single lead -- said converter is a stock item in trailer towing packages.  Red lenses, AFAIK, are not available -- just clear lenses which you could dye red.

I consider this a courtesy item, for those who do manage to see what they are looking at.  You still need to watch those approaching your rear and be prepared to dodge to the side if they are about to drive through you.

Hazzard lights are needed if broken down in a traffic lane.  The savage can easily be moved off to the side and thus has no need for hazzard lights.

WWW   IP Logged
Guido
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/09/06 at 16:34:25

The S40 is not set up from the factory like that.
It is as follows:

Red brake and running light on the fender.

Amber turn signals(only) on the sides.

I'd like to change mine as well or add more running lights. I have added two extra 4 light leds to the either side of the license plate that are wired to the brake light. Those, along with the Back Off flasher, work great!!

IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #7 - 11/09/06 at 17:25:37

I used that same turn signal conversion kit on my 05 S40 and I love it .I changed to clear lens, the only problem I had was that I had to notch out the inside of the lens to make the LED ring fit in.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #8 - 11/09/06 at 19:21:24

Thanks for all of your replies!  Looks like I can work out something to give me some marker lights, along with turn signals.  I'l have to check out the various ideas here, and see which one seems the best solution for my bike.  

Do most other motorcycles have better lights on them, or are they set up the same way in the rear - with the stop light/red marker , and turn signals???  Just curious.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/10/06 at 14:24:34

Hmm better check your state laws 1st.  Here in SC you cant have running lights on the back of your motorcycle because it looks like you always got your brake on and stuff.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 11/10/06 at 18:14:01

Strange law -- most large cruisers have multiple running lights in the rear.  I looked at the <u>Code</u> and could not find anything prohibiting extra running lights on a motorcycle.  Where did you get this information from?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear signal lights - as markers?????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.