Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Resurrecting a Savage with Questions (Read 3 times)
callen1950
Ex Member

Resurrecting a Savage with Questions
11/07/06 at 12:02:52

Hi, everyone!

I am new to the Savage, but I rebuild hopless two-wheel cases all the time.

This Savage is a terrific bike.  It'll be my first thumper.

It was given to me by a friend of a past neighbor (I have yet to buy a bike... they all find me this way!)  Anyway, some PO tried to turn it into a drag bike.  He'd drilled out the fins, threw away half of the electrics, all of the exhaust, the front footpegs, airbox, battery box, front fork springs and all the covers, all the chrome.  He then rough fitted old 7/8 handlebars, chopped off every ounce of metal from the frame that he didn't need, etc., etc.  The final touch was to spray paint it puke green over the rust.  When he was done with it, he abandoned it in the mud, where it sat for a couple of years...  No joke, it smelled like it has rested in a pig wallow, and this might be true because the alloy wheels were completely corroded.  Never seen that, before!

I am the patron saint of lost motorcycle causes.  When I saw it, it broke my heart.  It had to live again.

After about 6 months of hunting, welding, stripping and restoring, it's coming back quite nicely, but there are a couple of things that I am not familiar with.  

After lots of hunting, I found a decompression solenoid.  I understand the principle, but I wonder if it is complete.  I have the V-shaped bracket and the cable, but I cannot figure out where it should mount.  There are no good photos in the Clymer book.  Also, when the V-shaped bracket is off, the piston just falls out.  Is this complete/correct, or am I missing a piece of the solenoid housing?

I also need some pieces, and if someone has spares or knows how to find these, I would greatly appreciate any help.  I need front fork springs, and the chrome cover for the tool kit that ataches to the battery box.  EBay has not been stepping up for these.

I can post pics of the work in progress, too. She's looking pretty cool.  Right now, she's sporting white primer coat.  I will wait 'till the spring to paint it Cobalt.

Thanks for listening!

Len

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Resurrecting a Savage with Questions
Reply #1 - 11/07/06 at 14:31:26

let's see... decomp mechanism...

left side of the bike, top front of the engine... there should be a hole going at a right angle to the long direction of the bike...  If the mechanism is still there, there will be a "bolt"  with a spring around it.  If the mechanism is not there, the decomp lever lives in this hole, and when the decomp solenoid pulls on the cable, the cable pulls on the lever, turn the "bolt" which opens the exhaust valve.  It's not really a bolt... no threads, but a little foot at the end to push on the exhaust rocker arm...

You can more or less see the mechanism in this pic:

See the spring w/ the large nut on the end... that's part of it... can't see the bracket too well, but you can see it a little better in this pic:

IP Logged
callen1950
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/07/06 at 15:39:00

Thanks very much for the info and pics.  It helps alot.  I can see the mechanism you are talking about.

I have another question, if you don't mind...  Every schematic that I have studied (to hunt down the info you just gave me,) seems to show a different configuration of cylinder head than I have.  The diagrams show what is basically a flat cylinder head with fins that finish about the same height on both sides.  The chrome covers mount the same on left and right.  Mine seems to be missing like half of the left cylinder head.  When the chrome cover goes on, there is about a 3 inch gap leaving the spark plug and the decompression mechanism exposed.  It's almost like I am missing a part of the fin area.  Is this something that is not stock, like a squish head, or something?

I have taken a pic of that side of the head, but have not figured out how to post pics on this site yet...

Thanks for your assist!

Len

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 11/07/06 at 16:34:04

I'm having a hard time envisioning what you are typing...

if you type:  [img*][\img*]

that will work to stick in a pic, BUT DON'T USE THE ASTERISKS!  I stuck them in there to make sure the code shows up...

okay, then UPLOAD the pic somewhere, for example, photobucket.com

now go to the pic.  right click.  select properties, at the bottom of the list.  copy and paste the "location" info between the [img*] business.

for example, the savage at the top of the screen gives:

http://suzukisavage.com/images/yabb_header.jpg

so, it should look like this, minus the asterisks...

[img*]http://suzukisavage.com/images/yabb_header.jpg[/img*]

so... we need pics!

In the pics I posted, you can see where the valve covers are supposed to be... do you have the part that the valve covers mount to, i.e. the cylinder head cover?

IP Logged
callen1950
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/07/06 at 17:07:56

Yep... it works.  Here's the cylinder head.  See how it seems to be cut away?

Here's the work in progress...  It's taken down as I am workin g on it.  Most everything is here now.

and here's the before picture.

Thanks for the help!  By the way, with your pics, I walked out and figured the decompression solenoid right out!  Thanks again.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 11/07/06 at 18:45:20

best thread of the year!!! 8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #6 - 11/07/06 at 19:14:24

Alloy wheels??   Havent seen Alloy wheels on a Savage ??  Yes it was a diamond in the rough

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 11/07/06 at 19:16:36

Dude, it looks like you still have some room for a few more bikes yet !!   Cheesy

By the way, someone did a fine job of cutting all of the left side head fins away.  It sure does make getting to the plug a lot easier.  The thought had crossed my mind  about a month ago.

IP Logged
callen1950
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/08/06 at 04:49:45

As for the alloy wheels, he took out half of the spokes, and plugged the rest with JB Weld.  The remaining spokes are practically rusted clear through...  The rear rim is completely eaten through  to the tire along the bead, but - get this - it holds air.  The front one is still complete, and has a new Dunlop.  Still has the mold wiskers on it.

He removed the fork springs and installed air adjustments.  

Whoever did this really seemed to have some craft (like the ground down cylinder head.)  But for me, I am restoring it for a street ride.  Since I didn't know the bike, it's been like a puzzle, figuring out what's missing, and where pieces go.  

Most of this restoration has been kinda costly.  At this point, I got the bike for free, and I've put in about $800.00.  I just need fork springs, and the tool kit cover for a complete bike.  If someone has spares, I'd appreciate your making an offer.

I need a pole barn.   Wink I own 6 bikes I've restored currently, and I've restored and sold about as many as I own.  Right now, the stable has;

'78 Honda CB750
'74 Suzuki GT550 (needs engine restore.  Was hot and perfect, until I blew the engine coming back from Deal's Gap last spring.)
'72 Honda CL450
'81 Kawasaki EN454
'78 Vespa Grande

I have a '68 Honda C100 Cub that is is progress.

I also have a Honda CB350, in rat shape, waiting for a restore.  I think I'll sell this one when its done.

It's my hobby, and my wife looks the other way.  I have been really lucky.  As the word gets around that I take old bikes, people have called and asked me to take them away, or they drop them off.  The only bike that I own that I bought was the Cub.  Since it was the first model I ever owned, I spent the money when I found a good one.

Sorry to ramble.  Thanks for the assist, everyone!

Len

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #9 - 11/08/06 at 20:10:38

I think it's great that you are fixing up old bikes, especially that savage!!!  I know bikes aren't people, but I like to think that bikes like to be ridden and used.

I know that when I bought my 2000 savage last fall, it only had 7400 kms. on it, between the four owners.
I've just about doubled that mileage, and I'm sure the bike is happy to be used, and well taken care off!   Grin

Long live the savage!!!!!

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
callen1950
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/09/06 at 14:46:55

A agree, Diane.  I think they like to be ridden.  Aftet 20-30 years, they each gain a distinct personality.  I have had chances to ride the same old model, even the same year, and they have their own sound, handling.  Some have been treated well and respond well, and others have been treated badly and have lost their spirit.

I think the Savage will be happy to be alive again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:26:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Resurrecting a Savage with Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.