Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Oil cooler install update (Read 82 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Oil cooler install update
Reply #45 - 03/17/07 at 17:07:23

I've been trying to figure out how to check the flow thru my set up. It would be real nice to have some type of an idea as to how much oil gets diverted thru the cooler. Yeah guys you've got me thinking, lookout. The plan is to set up a air tight 16 oz soda bottle with a to and from line downstream from the cooler and time how long it takes to fill when the engine is running. Still trying to figure out how to get a airtight seal on the tubing going into the top of the soda bottle, maybe a BIG blob of silicon would work. The plan would be to warm the engine up, install the bottle, clamp off the line to the cooler, start the engine and then unclamp the line and measure how fast the bottle fills. Even with smaller tubing the volumn would be the mimimum flow thru the cooler. Something to work on, I'll let everybody know if it works. I don't mind a little heat or head either Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 03/17/07 at 17:46:59

Understand I am interested in doing this. Also, I am not up on oil passages, how much oil goes where & how it all works, so my question is not an attempt to discredit anything.

Does the cooler drain while it's parked? If so, does any part of the engine starve for oil while it's refilling?

I would like to have an oil cooler on the bike.Having the additional oilis good & even if it was just a tank instead of tubing & cooling fins, would help some.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #47 - 03/18/07 at 05:47:21

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Now, if that improves overall cooling by 10%, I'll consider that significant.  But, more importantly, I think it may improve head cooling by 50% or more, since the head isn't really air cooled very well anyway.

Why don't you think the head is getting cooled very well.  It is hard to see when installed but the top of the head is almost open to air all over the top.  There is only one place, near the right rear where the head is not open to air.  When the bike is moving, so is air, I do believe.

Check it with a flash light, you'll see the passages.

BTW - I have an old floor fan, that I often set behind the front tire when letting the bike idle for long periods.  Works good.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #48 - 03/18/07 at 06:10:20

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Having the additional oilis good & even if it was just a tank instead of tubing & cooling fins, would help some.

I was sitting here thinking about Harley oil tanks, and then I remembered this post.  Harley is a dry sump, so we could probably take some notes from that setup.

Does all the oil normally drain out of the filter compartment when the engine is off?  I don't think so...not too much anyway...seems to leak pretty good when you pull the filter cover.  Would the oil cooler drain back too?  Not so sure either...oil would have to be displaced with air to do that.  I think that it might take a long time anyway.

Might hot have to worry about the head being too dry at startup because of the little oil reservoir under the cam shaft, too.  See sigline.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #49 - 03/18/07 at 07:14:52

had a cooler on thumper clone when had modified engine insattel(horz honda style thumper)..
oil would drain back after shut down had insalled a head breather with filter at the intake rocker arm access cap..(i think)the ls 605 has head breather tubes which over flow(if any) into the air box..oil will settle back into the lowest point.after shut down which will show an over full condition at the site glass..
this is a low pressure oil system  7.1 - 10.7 psi sm shows taking reading at the front plug...part # 09915-74510 gauge, 09915-72410 gauge attachment..would think one could use the latter as a way to feed the cooler..tho i may stick out a bit too far...id still like a 12 mm banjo for the return into the bottom plug...i found and purchased the banjo bolt but the threads are wrong..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
New Idea
Reply #50 - 03/22/07 at 02:53:55

The oil coolers are too complicated.

Just attach a cupholder to the side of your tank/fork and put a squirt bottle in it.  In stop/go traffic just give a couple squirts.  It is not like you'll be too busy riding going nowhere.... Wink

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: New Idea
Reply #51 - 03/22/07 at 03:33:45

grim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
The oil coolers are too complicated.

Just attach a cupholder to the side of your tank/fork and put a squirt bottle in it.  In stop/go traffic just give a couple squirts.  It is not like you'll be too busy riding going nowhere.... Wink

Your logic is inescapable.   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #52 - 03/22/07 at 08:53:15

Creative thinking has been unleashed Tongue

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #53 - 03/22/07 at 16:31:01

Greg- is it hard to bungee the floor fan to the pilllion rider's back rest?? Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 03/22/07 at 16:48:49

Naw, it's easy.  It's the cord I have trouble with.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #55 - 03/23/07 at 06:31:50

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Greg- is it hard to bungee the floor fan to the pilllion rider's back rest?? Grin

Really hard on mine without a backrest Tongue

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #56 - 03/23/07 at 15:13:26

Good discussion fellas!  I'm back from my week-long work-trip, so I plan to finish this project soon and let you all know how I fare.
I plan to install an inline ball-valve to shut off the cooler in cold weather and ensure oil stays in the cooler upon shut-down.

For the flow test:  I think idling the engine with a fan running thru the cooler and measuring incoming and outgoing air will give a good indication of flow...we'll see... Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #57 - 03/23/07 at 19:20:04

I'm still working on a way to measure the flow thru my cooler. The soda bottle in line with the cooler was a bit too half as$ed so I'm working on a piece of 2" pvc tubing that's capped on each end and has hose barbs set up for an in and out. I'll use a piece of clear tubing on the out line so I can tell when it is full of oil. The plan is to let the cooler fill, clamp the "to" line, shut the engine off and then hook up the chamber. Once that is done I'll start the engine and let the oil pressure stablize then unclamp the line to the measuring chamber and time how long it takes till I see oil coming thru the clear tubing that's on the "out" line on the measuring chamber. I still need to finish the PVC chamber and measure it's volumn but I'm hoping to keep it around .5 liters so I won't oil starve the engine. I also found that my multimeter has a thermometer probe good to 300 degrees so I'll be checking temperatures as I go along.The parameters I'll be testing will be flow at cold startup during idle and at different rpm's while cold. I'll also check hot oil flows at the same rpm's as the cold flow data points. I need to see if it is possible to attach the temp probe to the back of the cooler and take some readings while riding, maybe a little duct tape and ty wraps will do the trick. I'm interested to see how much if any of a temperature drop occurs between the inlet and outlet while riding. It is going to take a bit of work but should be worth it.  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #58 - 03/23/07 at 20:05:59

You engineers need to patent this stuff and sell it.  $$$ 8)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 03/25/07 at 09:17:36

I think a simple trick is all you need.

You'll need a thermometor on the engine or even the cooler.  Then cover the cooler with a cardboard box or tinfoil or whatever.  Ride your favorite route until hot.  Keep a record of temps, oil & air.  Remove the cover and repeat.  After all, temp drop is what you really want to know.

Any thing you do to measure the oil flow will affect the actual flow mainly cause you're dependant upon a very small volume of oil.  Filling a T'd off cylinder is your best idea and may work.  I'd add an equal sized cylinder in the T section full of oil.  So, as the hot oil comes in, the new oil goes out preventing stavation and throwing off your measurement.

I got some temperature strips that can be applied anywhere you want to read temperature.  Haven't put them on yet.  Will post later how they work.

http://www.framebreakerracing.com/New_Framebreaker/Mototemp_Strips.html

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:11:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil cooler install update

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.