Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Oil cooler install update (Read 82 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Oil cooler install update
11/04/06 at 06:12:02

Ok, it's cold out so this isn't a high interest item, however.  JIC-6 or AN-6 doesn't fit well in the M14x1.25 thread in the oil inject plug. really hard to stop leaks.  I went to the dealership and bought a bolt with the exact thread for $3, then I drilled and tapped 1/8" pipe thread into it and was able to use a 50 cent pipe thread to hose barb adapter.  I think this is THE BEST solution from a cost/reliability/time stand point.  I've tabled the rest of this mod until the weather warms up, but my plan is to put a valve in-line so I can cut the oil cooler off in colder weather.
Hope this helps anyone planning to do this mod over the winter, and I'll include pictures of my limited progress soon...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Oil cooler install update
Reply #1 - 11/04/06 at 06:14:49

thanks for the update, i now have two coolers to install before next summer, debby's HD didn't come with one either  Undecided. alot of folks keep the coolers circulating, but put covers over them in the winter, the extra oil isn't a bad thing.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 11/04/06 at 06:59:08

I completely agree!  And even in cold whether, an air cooled engine can still have "hot spots" in the engine.  If I can't find a reasonably priced valve ($2-3), then mine will circulate year-round as well.  I'm also not going to block the original oil passage because I do think it will increase oil flow to the cylinder head which is the main place "hot spots" will occur.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 11/04/06 at 08:55:54

where are you planning to put the return line from the cooler??classiccruser.com has high way hawk oil temp gauges and sender units(sender is 14/1.25 i think)..
H.D. riders have complete oil cooler kits available to them that are model specific..we are forced to "engineer" most mods, ls 650 is great for tinkering...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 11/04/06 at 13:44:50

I'll post pics if I can get my wife out there to take pics with digital camera, but...

The return will go to a 1/8 NPT threaded in top of oil filter housing.  (Just like Ed_L's setup.)

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 03/14/07 at 15:18:25

OK, warm weather is here, and I'm getting ready to dive into the finish of the oil cooler install.  My wife's broken camera is due to arrive next week so look for pictures...I plan to start next weekend.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 03/14/07 at 15:29:19

Glad that you brought this one back...

The valve that you install will be a 3 way valve to bypass the oil in cold weather?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 03/14/07 at 17:49:24

No, I won't block the primary oil passage.  The oil cooler will provide an alternate path with a valve in-line.  I think because of the larger diameter tube for the oil flow, the cooler should get close to 50% of the flow.  This should increase oil flow in hot weather and provide cool oil to the top of the cylinder.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 03/14/07 at 17:51:11

If I find, in fact, the cooler is not getting sufficient oil flow, I'll be forced to block the primary passage and use a 3-way valve setup.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 03/14/07 at 18:12:56

got a hwy hawk oil temp guage for xmas had to pay a local machine shop $75 to fab an adaptor at the front plug location...couple of 70 + days here and havent got above 50c(90F) yet .. summer and up to 100f days are on the way will see if a cooler is just a frill.. thinkin so..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 03/14/07 at 20:43:58

So all the oil isn't being routed through the filter then?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #11 - 03/15/07 at 03:35:35

All the oil will go thru the oil filter, some of it will go thru the oil cooler first.  If you refer back to the oil passage picture in the tech section, you'll notice the front oil plug is an oil pressure source.  If you tap into that port, and dump it back into the top of the filter housing, you have an alternate oil path.

You could block the passage inside the oil filter housing and get all the flow thru the oil cooler.  The only concern I have is the oil returning to the top of the housing.  Flow may be directed straight into the oil filter element.  I need to machine the return to direct flow away from the element.

Does that clarify what I'm doing?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 03/15/07 at 05:10:29

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
All the oil will go thru the oil filter, some of it will go thru the oil cooler first.  If you refer back to the oil passage picture in the tech section, you'll notice the front oil plug is an oil pressure source.  If you tap into that port, and dump it back into the top of the filter housing, you have an alternate oil path.

You could block the passage inside the oil filter housing and get all the flow thru the oil cooler.  The only concern I have is the oil returning to the top of the housing.  Flow may be directed straight into the oil filter element.  I need to machine the return to direct flow away from the element.

Does that clarify what I'm doing?

Well...photo time again.  I posted these somewhere ??? I forget why.  Think I was chatting with Kropatchek Tongue

So you are taking the oil from the pump at the chrome plug on the right side of this photo (to go to the cooler)?  (the plug isn't marked)

And you are returning the oil to the filter at the plug in the bottom left of this photo? (the plug isn't marked)

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 03/15/07 at 07:15:33

I've been running an oil cooler for about six months, so far no problems. The supply line comes out of the bottom front plug, the M14x1.25 thread, to the cooler which came out of an GX'er and returns to a hole which I drilled and tapped in the side cover above the oil filter. As best as I can tell about 1/3 of the oil flow goes thru the filter while the rest follows the stock passage ways. It would be easy enough to plug one internal passage and have the total flow go thru the cooler but so far I don't see the need for it. The cooler starts to warm up after 10 miles, hot at the inlet and warm at the outlet and gets hot after 20 miles so there must be a good flow thru it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 03/15/07 at 08:31:52

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I've been running an oil cooler for about six months, so far no problems. The supply line comes out of the bottom front plug, the M14x1.25 thread, to the cooler which came out of an GX'er and returns to a hole which I drilled and tapped in the side cover above the oil filter. As best as I can tell about 1/3 of the oil flow goes thru the filter while the rest follows the stock passage ways. It would be easy enough to plug one internal passage and have the total flow go thru the cooler but so far I don't see the need for it. The cooler starts to warm up after 10 miles, hot at the inlet and warm at the outlet and gets hot after 20 miles so there must be a good flow thru it.

Got a picture?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:20:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil cooler install update

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.