Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Benefits of a fly screen? (Read 87 times)
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Benefits of a fly screen?
11/03/06 at 09:08:22

Do any Savage owners here have a fly screen on their bike?

If so, what are the benefits?

It seems to me that with the upright riding position of a Savage, a small fly screen would just deflect wind onto the chest.

So, fly screens are only for sport bikes, where riders crouch over the tank when riding.

Am I right, or am I missing something here?

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Benefits of a fly screen?
Reply #1 - 11/03/06 at 10:23:51

I have one I bought on eBay a while back but I almost never use it.  If you keep it closer to vertical it tends to reduce the amount of wind you get hit with.  Personally, I think it would only be useful in reducing some fatigue but still allowing a good amount of wind during hot summer months.  It's pretty useless for keeping road yuck off of you and won't help reduce wind chill very much in the winter.  I much prefer a full windshield for utility or none at all for best appearance.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 11/03/06 at 11:51:27

I have one on right now Cheesy I love it because it keeps the wind off my chest at high speed (70+ mph). The deflection hits at about the neck. Other than that it doesn't keep debries on the road from hitting you. Personally, I don't like full windscreen. It's overtaken the look of Savage's front end. But it's different strokes for different folks.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 11/03/06 at 12:38:00

I had a maybe 1' tall oen that helped me keep a loose grip at 70 mph.  Not there now...   Roll Eyes

OTOH, it reminds me that I miss my stock savage... again:  Roll Eyes  &  Tongue  gotta get that engine back in... must ride the savage

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/03/06 at 13:34:18

I tried a fly screen for while, but chose to stay with a full windshield on the small side.  I like the look of a fly screen, but from a functional viewpoint I found it to be useless.  I have found no downside to a small full windshield.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 11/03/06 at 13:50:29

As others have said, the flyscreen blocks some of the wind pressure at freeway speed.  Above freeway speed, or at freeway speed into a 20-30 mph headwind, the flyscreen is useless unless you crouch down behind it but the seat/bars are not set up for cafe racing style.

p.s.  it is also a handy helmet holder when parked, or when tooling in the moonlight at 30-35 mph.

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 11/03/06 at 14:50:33

I just recently put a windscreen on my bike which is only 14" high and 14" wide.  It's perfect!  It blocks the wind off my chest yet I can see over it.  It's skinny enough that at first when I installed it my wife didn't notice it.  When it's warm, it allows plenty of airflow.  I stay back from traffic (live in the DC metro area) so road grim hasn't been an issue so far.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #7 - 11/04/06 at 06:38:58

i'm guessing "fly screen" means a little windshield ??? i have a spitfire on my HD and on debby's savage. i like them alot! when set up right, you look across the top of them and they deflect almost all the bugs over your head(except the big juicy ones), and take the pressure off your chest at hiway speeds, without reacting to the wind too much, and affecting steering feel/control.
debby's HD has a full size windshield, it is nice to hide behind at 5:30am when it is cool out, BUT i do NOT like looking through it, i can feel it input into the steering, although not alot, i haven't ridden it in heavy wind yet, i'll let you know when i do. my neighbor has an HD with a full size windshield, and was up at laughlin a couple years ago in heavy wind, he said it wasn't much fun, kinda like holding a 700lb sheet of plywood Embarrassed

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/04/06 at 07:59:22

Hi Tammi,
I have a "National Cycle,Plexistare 2" on my savage ,I love it,helps with MPG as well.
Very important though is to keep it as clean as you can,there are commercial cleaners out there but I use a soft sponge and dish soap (warm water) and then believe it or not I use Meguiar's cleaner wax, you can hardly tell you have one on,except it's a heck of allot less tiring ,and draft free.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #9 - 11/06/06 at 06:37:00

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
i'm guessing "fly screen" means a little windshield ???

Very little.

Here's an example:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-fly-screen/

P.S. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
Bikemom28
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/06/06 at 07:01:47

I agree with you savage it does take away the look of the suzuki savage. It doesn't look like it would give any protection unless your really short sitting on the bike. Smiley

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #11 - 11/06/06 at 07:15:41

I have one on my Savage (Nat. Cycle brand) and like it a lot ... relieves wind pressure to the chest and slipstream tends to toss most bugs over my head! Plus because it is small, t does not take away from the overall look of the Bike!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
TVRacer
2005 No Login

Arnold, CA
Reply #12 - 11/06/06 at 07:35:55

I surely would like to see some pictures of your flyscreens Smiley

Tom

Tom Stephens
www.tvracer.com
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 11/06/06 at 12:28:26

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 11/06/06 at 13:04:30

Here's a pic from a couple of years ago. BTW I bought mine on e-bay after seeing pics of Paladins  Grin

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:33:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Benefits of a fly screen?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.