Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dang!! Neutral Switch (Read 15 times)
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Dang!! Neutral Switch
10/29/06 at 10:22:34

Ok, I bought this bike from a guy and it has had problems after problems. First the backfiring problem, then missing side cover needed new brakes, new tires.... Now this nuetral switch wich cannot be obtained.  My bike will not stay running without this when parked. I have bypassed it using a toggle switch but c'mon it looks tacky and often confusing. Does any body know how to obtain one. Used or new. Bike bandit nor Ron Ayers seems to have it even listed. It has been cut or something outside the crankcase but as I wired it up it still doesn't work so I just want it replaced when I go into the crankcase for other work. Any ideas?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Dang!! Neutral Switch
Reply #1 - 10/29/06 at 13:35:55

Oh, are you talking about the switch at the base of the kickstand that senses whether the kickstand is up or down and kills the engine unless the bike is in neutral?
I've been thinking about bypassing that thing myself, I haven't gotten used to it and it's getting on my nerves.

Did you check to see if the dealership has one?  Anyway it would be very easy to disable it altogether as I've gotten by up til now without one.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/29/06 at 13:52:36

Nope wrong Neutral switch. That is a kickstand switch. The neutral switch is located inside the crankcase on the right side of the bike. It is a black wire coming out of the engine. The senses when the bike is in nuetral and disables the kickstand kill switch and turns on the nuetral light.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 10/29/06 at 15:38:25

What happens when you momentarily ground the wire to the case. Does the neutral light come on. If so attach it ground temporily and see if that fixes it. Usually Neutral switches are simple grounding circuits to turn on the light and if it is "OSHA approved", kill the engine if the kickstand switch is closed also. Let us know, also see if one of the folks parting out a bike can sell you the switch if you end up needing it, I believe it is a low failure rate item. max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 10/29/06 at 15:53:47

what year is your bike... the earliest ones had a sidestand indicator light that was replaced with the diode set up and de comp relay,etc...(appears suzuki modified the starting interlock circuirt many times) from the three wiring diagrams ive found the neutal switch closes to allow current to flow back to the frame(ground)..is the indicator bulb bruned out ??(pre 96 model) post 96 sidestand diode is suspect...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/29/06 at 17:33:36

ok I have a 97 Savage.  I have the Netral switch located inside the crankcase bypassed using a toggle switch grounded to the frame. It works but is unreliable and not very cosmetic. There is nothing wrong with my diode it is the switch. I know it. Hopefully anyone parting out a bike will sell me  REPLACEMENT. I am just concerned about it not being on the parts list on any microfiche. It's in the clymer manual and shop manual, but not up for sale. Just odd to me. I just want it to work right.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #6 - 10/29/06 at 17:58:56

I'm not sure if this is the correct part, but on the "Gear Shifting"  diagram, thereis a part labeled "BASE ASSY,NEUT"
part number 37720-24B30.  It costs $27.48 at Ron Ayers.

There's also a contact and a spring labeled "KS Pawl" and "KS Spring" that appear to be part of the assembly.

Hope this helps.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/29/06 at 18:34:15

You are totally awesome Rob. You have helped me out tremendously. I have looked for that part for months. I will surely be getting that part soon.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:14:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dang!! Neutral Switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.