Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
mods for longer rides? (Read 50 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: mods for longer rides?
Reply #30 - 11/04/06 at 13:48:42

The aux tank will have its own shutoff and the main tank will still use the petc0ck.  The aux tank shutoff normal position will have to be closed...

Good point Reelthing Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #31 - 11/06/06 at 06:33:17

I have the 4 1/2 gallon aux tank on my Savage and you most definately want an inline cut off so that you have either one or the other in use. When I forget and have them both "open" after a fill-up, I get gas coming out and onto my right thigh as they try to equalize between themselves. I put a 1/4" "Y" after the pet-thingie and the on/off valve for the aux tank under the left side at the back of my seat. I'm still trying to find an either/or 1/4" valve so I only have one thing to remember to switch.

By the way, if you're thinking of adding one of those aux tanks behind your sissy bar, seriously consider adding an extra tailight/brakelight on the tank. The stock tailight is almost invisible until you're quite a ways back from the bike with the tank in place. I got one of those LCD oval lights like they use on the big rig trailers and mounted it in the mounting brackets for the tank. I just routered out a bigger oval than the light itself in wood, sprayed it with black bed liner and screwed a thin, flat metal plate on the back to slide under the tank straps before tightening.

Gotta go fix my oil leak again.

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 11/06/06 at 09:45:22

Thanx for the pretty pic Azjay.  Yep, guess that would get in the way of the pillion pad.  The harley seat I'm looking at is the single seat version.  Anyone else tried that?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #33 - 11/07/06 at 08:55:11

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I've got an idea...

I don't see any reason why you couldn't hook up an auxillary fuel tank with 1/4" line up to the vacuum port on the petc0ck if you've done the manual petc0ck conversion.  Thoughts?

Yup.  Just do a search on TourTank and also visit TourTank.com.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 11/28/06 at 13:03:14

I'm thinking of adding a backrest.  Does anyone have any experience as to a backrest restricting movement perhaps interfering with the safe operation of the bike?

WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #35 - 11/29/06 at 05:29:59

You're gonna want a tank that will let you go 200 miles between fillups unless you want to spend a lot of time in gas stations. 4 stops on a standard tank one way will probably add 2 hours to your trip. However, with that said, 400 miles isn't a real long ride (easily done in a day with a return the next if you so desire) or round trip in a day if you're a glutton or just want to ride.

If you don't have it, rain gear. Make sure all your other gear is comfortable. You are going to want bags if you don't have them yet. Cell phone, maps (MC's have a tendancy to wander onto roads as yet unexplored by you so be prepared).

Take something that will go under your side stand to keep the stand from sinking into soft stuff. I keep mine on a leash so I don't forget it.

Flashlight and minimal tool kit.

Make sure your MC is in good repair. I've so far been able to plan my trips so that no maintenance requiring a garage or special tools has been needed on the road. Gas it up, check the air, make sure nothing has fallen off and ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 03:33:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › mods for longer rides?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.