Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: mods for longer rides?
Reply #15 - 10/30/06 at 06:12:52

Quote:

To prevent sliding forward I've done the simple seat mod with a slight variation - springs at the front, spacers at the back.

I like that idea, do you havve pic's of this yet?

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #16 - 10/30/06 at 07:00:37

I picked my V-Star seat up out of a used bike/salvage yard here in MN. $150 like new. The mounting was easy and straight forward. Since I didn't want to give up the back seat, I took off the V-Star mounting tang on the back of the seat. I made a shallow square cornered bracket that fit between the seat mounting flanges on the frame, after I bent them into a verticle angle to the ground. I drilled a hole on each short leg of the bracket to bolt through for the frame flanges. Then I pop-riveted that to the seat pan with a liberal amount of an industrial adhesive. It took me three tries to get the correct size bracket. I had already raised the front of the stock seat about an inch after reading about it here so over all the seat's a bit higher than stock. I'm six feet tall and have about decided to give up the back seat so's I can move the front seat back a bit for the extra leg room. Hope this helps. I'm about to start working on the Harley tank soon so I can get pix if needed. Or I could do a quick drawing.

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/30/06 at 07:52:18

Lancer - yep I got pictures.  What I don't have is success in uploading them so others can see it too.  Did try once. Failed. Gave up.  Sad old case aren't I.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 10/30/06 at 09:00:00

Salad_Shaker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Lancer - yep I got pictures.  What I don't have is success in uploading them so others can see it too.  Did try once. Failed. Gave up.  Sad old case aren't I.

I understand completely, it took my a bunch of tries before I figured out what I was doing wrong... not doing right.

You have to take your pictures from the camera to your computer, then upload them to a photo website (I use Snapfish, most others use a bike website somehwere), then at that point each picture has a URL I think, then you right click on the pic, go to properties, highlight the ENTIRE LONG address, right click that and hit the "copy" choice, then go to the Savage site & click on the picture box (4th from left on the 2nd row above the smiley faces), left click between the   2 [img] boxes, then right click in the same place and hit "paste"

I think that is what I do to get a pic on here.

Are we having fun yet?   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 10/30/06 at 11:48:08

In my opinion, the best mod for long range comfort has been upgraded shocks.  My bike already had a windshield on it when I bought it and I would highly recommend one.  I have an S40 pillow-top gel seat and it's a definite improvement over the stock seat but the shocks are a better upgrade if you have to choose between the two.  I'm seeing a lot of folks very pleased with an HD Sportster seat conversion, which should probably be cheaper than a new S40 gel seat.  As suggested above, an alternative set of forward pegs are not a bad idea either as you'll appreciate changing your leg position every now and then.  For general handling and stability, I am very fond of my fork brace, though I wouldn't classify it as a comfort upgrade.  So far as cruise controls go, I've never installed a real one on any bike I've owned.  Devices like the throttle-rocker or throttle boss have been adequate for me.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #20 - 10/30/06 at 14:29:26

Salad_Shaker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  I've been putting up with leaking oil for nearly two years 'cause I can't figure how to get to the silly plug.  If you can e-mail the pix to me I'll put them up.

WWW   IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/31/06 at 08:16:57

Paladin: Some pics winging their way through the ether even as I type.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #22 - 10/31/06 at 08:56:32

WWW   IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/31/06 at 09:11:54

Many thanks Paladin for helping out this techno-klutz.

So there you have it - my stock-o-springer seat mod.  Adds lift and comfort.  All for the princely sum of 1.50$ for the springs off ebay.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/31/06 at 11:23:00

I think the biggest comfort mod I did was forward controls.  If you access to a welder and a grinder you can do it.  Even tho they are VERY expensive (if you buy them  highway hawk I think) you will wonder how you ever rode ur bike without them.  I cant emphasize how good they feel.

I would also take Savage Rob's suggestion and look into a pillowtop gel seat.  Or make a gel insert from Lancers gel he sells.  The stock seat is TERRIBLE and literally a pain in the arse.

Oh and I almost forgot.  Try getting some new grips like kuryakyn grips.  They are awesome and take 99% of the vibration away.  They also sell kewl accesories like throttle boss (kinda like cruise control but u use the flat on your hand, eg the side, to rest your grip) and a helmet lock.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 10/31/06 at 11:27:44

Jim_R wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Oh and I almost forgot.  Try getting some new grips like kuryakyn grips.  They are awesome and take 99% of the vibration away.  They also sell kewl accesories like throttle boss (kinda like cruise control but u use the flat on your hand, eg the side, to rest your grip) and a helmet lock.  

Yup, I totally forgot because I take 'em for granted.  They do make a big difference.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 11/03/06 at 11:22:15

azjay: does the Spostster rider's seat fit with the Savage stock pillion pad in place?  Got my eye on an HD seat but am wondering about fixings and mountings.  Can you give us a steer on this?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #27 - 11/04/06 at 06:51:38

no, look here

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #28 - 11/04/06 at 08:25:15

I've got an idea...

I don't see any reason why you couldn't hook up an auxillary fuel tank with 1/4" line up to the vacuum port on the petc0ck if you've done the manual petc0ck conversion.  Thoughts?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #29 - 11/04/06 at 08:44:23

as long as you use a fuel cut off on at least the lowest tank - or you'll get a bit of a mess going

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 03:22:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › mods for longer rides?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.