Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
So long to my Savage- wishing her many happy miles (Read 8 times)
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
So long to my Savage- wishing her many happy miles
10/28/06 at 11:31:47

First, this is NOT a for-sale post. Just so we have that out of the way.

It is my duty to inform you all that I have traded off my beloved Zook on a new machine.

The local Suzuki dealer had a 1987 (10 years older than Zook) BMW K75 that really caught my eye. He offered me a good deal, so I traded. What I got was a Beemer with only 14,000 miles on the clock for a little north of $1,500 after sales taxes. Take the deal for what you will.

The LS650 was a great first bike, and I couldn't have asked more of it. Commuted on that machine everyday I could manage it, and even on several days I probably shouldn't have. Laid it down once, even. New tank, new paintjob, and several custom accessories later, and she was better than ever. The K&N and re-jet made a huge difference, and the old ragged Honda CB500T exhaust muffler really sounded good.

The bottom line was that the Zook was a little too, well, little for me. I have always liked motorcycles that make you sit up straight. The ergonomics are just plain better for long rides when you don't have all your weight squishing down on your tailbone. The K75 is a pretty tall bike, by comparison, and has more of a sport-touring seating position.

The Beemer is noted as being characterless, yet sound as a stone. They called the K-series "The Flying Brick" both because the cylinder head resembles the shape of a brick and because the engines are known to last well into the hundreds of thousands of miles without major work. The 3-cylinder 750cc is an inline structure, with the cylinders laying on their side. The drivetrain is much like that of a rear-wheel drive car turned 90-degrees counterclockwise, with a direct link to the transmission, which links directly to a driveshaft which powers the rear wheel. Power output is said to be around 70 horses, but it's not intimidating unless you really wrench the throttle.

I never thought I'd like a multi-cylinder bike beyond a twin, but the triple has really impressed me. It sounds and feels like a skymobile from the old cartoon The Jetsons. Vibrationless and effortless. After eyeballing the BMW F650 "Funduro," I think it'd suffice to say that I'm geniuinely impressed by this 20 year-old steed.

In all, I'm sure the Savage nobly prepared me for handling such a machine. I will be taking my time, after weather gets back to a more ride-friendly state, in getting used to the K, but I have not felt out-of-control or scared in the least during today's riding.

Thanks to all of you here who helped me along my way with the Zook and all the customization. This site has been a bevy of helpful tips and tricks that I wouldn't have found elsewhere. I'll probabaly keep lurking about now and then, as I have been in my few spare moments at university. Hopefully you lot won't disown me for going to a multi and not holding out longer for the 650 single in the form of the Funduro!  Cheesy

And if you're in the Upper Cumberland region of Tennessee anytime soon, I know a dealer who will probably cut you a deal on a customized 1997 Savage...

Regards,
Banger
========

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: So long to my Savage- wishing her many happy m
Reply #1 - 10/28/06 at 11:38:38

Banger, congrats those 750s are pretty fine rides, always, always use the center stand, never, never the side stand, should go a lot of miles.

by the way is it the sport or the C version?

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #2 - 10/28/06 at 12:13:10

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Banger, congrats those 750s are pretty fine rides, always, always use the center stand, never, never the side stand, should go a lot of miles.

by the way is it the sport or the C version?

I'm not sure of the version. I need to punch up the VIN number somewhere and make sure of that.

And I've always heard that about the stands. It'll take some learning and some getting used to with the center stand, but I've always thought centerstands were best anyway. On top of it all, they make working on your machine much easier.

It's smoking a little bluish smoke right now. I have it on the word of the previous owner that he didn't get to ride but a couple good trips a year (apparently so, given 14,000 miles on a 20 year-old bike) and the smoke is probably the result of poor gas and slightly dirty injectors. He says it normally clears up if you run the bike regularly for a day or so. Regardless, I'm getting myself a tank full of 93 and some fuel injector cleaning additive on the way home.

Regards,
Banger
========

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 10/28/06 at 13:38:01

if it's been on the side stand that is why it is smoking - the C handle bars are wider and pull back some where as the S models are bit narrow and make the k75s a little less comfortable but dang quick to change direction!

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 10/28/06 at 17:04:11

Banger,

Best of luck with the new BMW.  Should be a great ride.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
HeresPaco
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/28/06 at 18:56:04

Hi Banger,

I just joined the forum tonight.
I've had dozens of motorcycles over the years.

I sold an '87 Savage eight years ago.  Four days ago I had it "given" back to me by that buyer as he was moving and also had not rode it in 6 years.  My wife has claimed it for her around town bike now.  It's in need of some major resurrection work as it sat in a damp pole barn for that 6 years.  

My point is that you never know when an old friend will unexpectedly pop back into your life!

That BMW is a gem to keep too, enjoy!

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #6 - 10/28/06 at 21:46:03

Enjoy friend. BTW, Can you resist the call of the thumper??

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Tim_C
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/28/06 at 21:53:33

Congrats on the new bike,Banger...have enjoyed your posts...come back and visit...you did clue the new owner to this site,didnt you?

IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #8 - 10/28/06 at 22:07:40

SAY IT AIN'T SO ??? You got rid of the savage Sad Oh well WE wish you luck anyhow with the Beemer :'( May you two have many happy miles together and plz keep this one on the rubber.
               RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 10/28/06 at 22:15:40

OK, so you got yourself a Beemer, we can overlook that if necessary.
My question is............... which cylinder are you going to remove, LEFT OR RIGHT,  in order to make it a THUMPER?

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #10 - 10/28/06 at 22:24:35

That beemer is a triple. So theoretically he could part it out and have a thumper and a twin. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/29/06 at 01:28:32

My next door neighbour has just sold his K100 - 13 years old and with just 13000km  (just over 8k miles)on the clock.  It was in as new condition, and with fixed hard luggage too.
I looked long and hard at buying it. He was asking for 3000€ which is not quite 4k$ but would've come down for a deal.  Two things held me back - I'm still on a 34bhp restricted licence until March 07 - a European standard thing for new riders first 2 years, and the small matter of raising the difference over what my Savage would be worth, currently about 2000€.  With some wistful looks as it went up the street to its new home I had to let it go.  Opportunities like that don't present themselves every day.  Sigh.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 10/29/06 at 05:02:02

Boy, I just totally missed it on that one! Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 10/29/06 at 11:54:53

Congrats on buying oneof the best kept secrets in motorcycling.  While everyone loved the old r series, the flying bricks are supperb bikes.  Olde tymers couldn't get with the tripple, neue rydrers wanted a four..the blue smoke specials are really very competent bikes..you done good.  One of my patients rode his down to Maryland one Saturday for a familycrabb dinerefest then back home (I live near boston, MA) He had no doubts about his ride, ever reliable.

IP Logged
Banger

Carpe Zookem

Tennessee, USA
Reply #14 - 10/30/06 at 09:19:12

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Congrats on buying oneof the best kept secrets in motorcycling.  While everyone loved the old r series, the flying bricks are supperb bikes.  Olde tymers couldn't get with the tripple, neue rydrers wanted a four..the blue smoke specials are really very competent bikes..you done good.  One of my patients rode his down to Maryland one Saturday for a familycrabb dinerefest then back home (I live near boston, MA) He had no doubts about his ride, ever reliable.

Thanks, Trippah. I had a feeling about the K75. I did a lot of reading about it before I made any decision, and that was the general sentiment I seemed to get. While the bike might lack the character of the old R-bikes or any number of more Americanized cruisers from a variety of manufacturers, the K seems to have a good reputation for reliability. And since I've always been a guy who puts function over form any day of the week, I was really drawn to the good deal.

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes. Interestingly enough, for those of you who might one day find yourself in a similar situation, when I put my insurance on the Beemer today, the premium only went up $6. I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least.

The blue smoke is reminiscent of the old '70s Japanese two-strokers. Both Suzuki and Kawasaki had a few triples in the line-up. The difference is, once the BMW is up to operating temperature, the smoke stops. Roll on the throttle on a GT750 Water Buffalo or the equivalent Kwak triple, and the blue smoke would kill every mosquito within 250 feet.  Grin

Regards,
Banger
========

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:26:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So long to my Savage- wishing her many happy miles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.