S40 Seat Bolts (Read 59 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: S40 Seat Bolts
Reply #15 - 10/28/06 at 08:15:06

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
It might be a good solution, particularly  if the threads are stripped. It looks like the pin would have to be a close fit, though, unless the ball protruds

Yup, the ball on either side is held out a bit by a spring in the middle. If fitted into a fairly tight hole, they won't pop out without a good yank on the ring.

The other kind, with the push-button, slides out easy when you push the button, releasing the spring tension on the balls.

Gotta be easier than fighting those bolts back in.

I may attempt to use them as part of my Sportster seat conversion. The seat is here, now all I need is to get work space cleared in the garage, and find the time...

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #16 - 10/28/06 at 10:11:13

Rockin_John, Thanks for the idea with the quick release pins.  I have a boat dealership just down the street, I think I will make a visit within the next few days.  I would think one that is 1/2 long would fit, but not more than 3/4 long.  Sound about right to you?   One of my bolts snapped, so first I will have to see if a have a screw extractor that will fit to get the darn thing out.
ride safe.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #17 - 10/28/06 at 16:52:25

IIRC, the tab on the seat is not threaded.  So if you unbolt the other side of the seat, you might be able to move it over far enough to get the tab over the broken bolt. Then you could just use vice grips to turn the bolt out from the back side.  

Otherwise, that's going to be hard.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 10/28/06 at 18:49:13

The quicklock pins is what I'd like.  Very secure, although you may need to add a second tab per side.  They like to have support on either side of the engaging tab since they can't be tightened up.  Maybe one long one would do.  WWW.Mcmaster.com has several kinds if you can't find them locally.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #19 - 10/28/06 at 19:21:50

Yea lateral movement might be a problem with the pins. The front seat mount does not prevent the seat from moving from side to side. The bolts prevent the lateral movement.

Looks like these speed pins are designed to hold forces perpidicular to the long axis of the pin. In other words, without any force applied that would make them slide.  

I don't know how much lateral force would be generated when you're riding.  Maybe it's not anything to worry about. But the pins would have to be just the right length to keep the seat from moving around without a load.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #20 - 10/28/06 at 23:14:23

Good point about the lateral movement.  Didn't think of that.  I think I will stick to the bolts and think of something to make them easier to get to.  The idea you had may work, plus it would be a lot cheaper.
Undecided

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #21 - 10/29/06 at 08:30:53

Someone makes extended, toolless seat bolts for the Triumph Bonnevilles.  One end is threaded for about an inch, then about 3 inches of shaped rod, then the other end is knurled.  The threaded end is also cut down to serve as a pilot for getting the bolt started.

Unfortunately, they appear to be much smaller diameter that out bolts, m6x20.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 10/29/06 at 09:52:12

OK, here's another idea out of the pages of mcmaster-carr... Thumb screws and coupling or extension nut.
The thumb screw can be frow the simple flat up to the machine knob type.  The nut will be what ever long to get the knob to a point where you can grab it.  Or use Steel tubing cut to the right length.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #23 - 10/29/06 at 15:51:40

Well, I removed a seat bolt from my Savage, it it does seem to be a m6 bolt. Can someone else confirm that they are indeed m6 bolts?

So I suppose the Triumph bolts will work.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #24 - 10/31/06 at 12:58:55

Steve530, it is a M6 bolt.  I bought a package of M6x16 and M6x20, and the M6x16 looked to be maybe a tad short, so I tried the M6x20 and they seemed to fit a little better.  The M6x20 may be a little longer than factory, although it don't look as if they will interfere with any slight seat travel that occurs with my 205 pounds.
I still wish I could find an easier way to get thye bolts in though.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #25 - 10/31/06 at 18:30:10

Thanks for the confirmation.

I guess if you have $25+S&H for a set of bolts, you might want to go for a set of  Bonnie seat bolts.  

I think that I might try a m6x50 allen head bolt with a nut set at the depth of the stock bolt head and a second  nut jammed against it.  

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #26 - 10/31/06 at 18:55:42

That may work.  I got my bolts at Lowes for some place around a dollar for four of them.  I plan on keeping the spares in a tool bag on the bike.  I found using a Universal adapter with a 10MM socket, on the end of a 2 inch extension and a rachet, worked pretty good on getting the bolts in.  It is still a pain in the #$% because I have bags and you have to use one hand to slightly move them to get to the bolt location.  Almost takes three hands.
Glad the info was handy.
Grin 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 10/31/06 at 20:13:32

I'm very thankful for zip off yokes on my bags!  Makes getting to those seat bolts a piece of cake!  8)

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #28 - 11/01/06 at 05:21:37

If I replace my bags, they will be replaced with with the zipper on and off type.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 11/01/06 at 08:16:09

I bought a 1/4" drive speed handle years ago that I use when ever space permits, which is most of the time.  It's like the old time hand powered drills.  Once you get the hang of it, you can spin it single handed.  And when you can use it 2 handed, it much faster than a rachet.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 20:14:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 Seat Bolts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.