Send Topic Print
Aligning dumped Savage (Read 4 times)
methom
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Maine
Aligning dumped Savage
10/24/06 at 14:36:40

Well, so much for my abilities as a motorcycle instructor.  I was teaching my 16-year old how to ride a bike and he was doing well.  Easing on the clutch and just going 5 feet or so.  Anyway, when we went for a 30-foot glide on the driveway he spaced out (his term) and revved it in first and dumped the bike on the lawn.  Luckily he was not hurt (other than major ego bruises).  Anyway, the front end is slightly out of alignment (i.e., the tire points south while the handle bars point north).  It isn't bad...maybe 2"-3" out of alignment.  Can any of you folks point me toward prior posts regarding how to re-align the front end or do you have recommendations?  Do I just loosen everything up, realign it, and then re-tighten it?  By the way, he is enrolled in a professional riding course now.  Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Aligning dumped Savage
Reply #1 - 10/24/06 at 14:50:00

methom wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Can any of you folks point me toward prior posts regarding how to re-align the front end or do you have recommendations?  Do I just loosen everything up, realign it, and then re-tighten it?

If nothing is bent, yes loosen everything up, twist and retighten. You can twist the bars where they mount to the triple trees after loosening the bolts at the bottom of the risers. You can also twist the forks in the triple trees by loosening up the clamping bolts. Most likely, it's your bars that are tweaked. I'd start there.

IP Logged
methom
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Maine
Reply #2 - 10/24/06 at 14:58:32

I believe that you're right that it is just the bars.  I'll give it a go and let you know.  BTW, it is a 2000 Savage...thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 10/25/06 at 06:35:24

Check the bolts that hold the risers on, they tend to get bent with a low speed dump. At least they did when I went over Undecided

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #4 - 10/25/06 at 15:07:10

Often when you loosen things up and give the tire a kick in the right direction, the whole thing goes "Sprong" and pops back into position.  Has worked for me many times when I managed to throw my dirt bike into the weeds. (Case of enthusiasm overtaking skill).

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:37:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aligning dumped Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.