Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How Much Oil (Read 1 times)
georgekathe
Ex Member

How Much Oil
10/23/06 at 17:47:32

Just curious - Clymers says oil & filter change takes 2.0 liters or 2.1 US quarts.

I have annotated with nfo I got from somewhere it takes 2.1 liters or 2.2 US quarts (no idea where I got that from).

how much do each of you use?

second - again curious - how often do you change oil/filter?

thanks  Grin

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: How Much Oil
Reply #1 - 10/23/06 at 18:00:08

twice a year, delco 400   10/40

2.1 quart  or middle of sight glass.  which ever comes first.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 10/23/06 at 18:02:06

apx.2.5 qt w/ filter change (2400ml)..2005 owners manual..same specs. as  in service manual...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #3 - 10/24/06 at 17:54:22

I change oil at 1500mi  about 3 months
oil and filter at 3000mi  (I put on about 6000 a year)

takes a bit more than 2qt, I check sight glass.
10/40 SF/SG/SJ Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil (PepBoys)

by then its coffee colored and not shifting gears as smoothly

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #4 - 10/25/06 at 03:53:34

Smokey, you say you change the oil twice to the filters one change ??? Everyone has there own way or reason of doing things but oil does not wear out. Many test have been done and the result were that as long as the oil filter was change regularly that the engine was in as gooda condition as the one that oil and filter were changed. Me if I change one I change both out of habit.
Speaking of oil has anyone had better results with running synthtic oil. I hear that it improves the shifting? With less engine friction is it performing better?

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/25/06 at 05:21:10

As for me I only use "Castrol"motor cycle oil, same in my car,(not M/C oil) odd realy but I change the oil in my car every 2000
and I always change the filter as well,on the Savage I change every 500 miles and the filter every other time,just a personal thing I guess,no particular reason.
However I do have a reason for using only "Castrol" on my trips to the Isle of man,my Dad was hired by Castrol to show a short movie promoting the product,he showed it 3 or four times a day in the cocoa tent,it's where I learned my first long word "Viscosity" all through  the movie (15 mins) the guy must say "High viscosity index" 25 times ,and I guess it stuck,at that time most riders used it along with "Avon tires", Dunlop was the biggie for tires until a rider got killed after the tread came off his front tire,then every one switched to Avon,  A big blow to Dunlop at that time.
Interesting that all riders at that time used "Castrol R"
the R for racing,it was a vegatable oil,it had a very high viscosity,the only problem with it was that you had to completly strip down the engine after each race otherwise it would turn to gum,I don't think they use it anymore,used to smell great out the exaust.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 10/25/06 at 06:45:51

spike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Speaking of oil has anyone had better results with running synthtic oil. I hear that it improves the shifting? With less engine friction is it performing better?

The "preferred oil" and synth vs dinojuice are topics that seem to be rediscussed every month or two and sometimes even more often.  Occasionally some new information comes to light but not often.  Try a couple of searches.  I know there have been several in the past few months.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/25/06 at 08:51:30

For those of you operating in metric countries and didn't get a manual when you acquired your steed its 1.8litres to fill on a change when you don't change the filter.  Suzuki recommend a filter change every other oil change.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #8 - 10/26/06 at 00:29:14

Spike, I'm not really worried that the oils gonna wear out.
More concerned that it gets dirty and contaminated.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #9 - 10/26/06 at 02:34:56

Posted by: smokey02      Posted on: Today at 03:29

Spike, I'm not really worried that the oils gonna wear out.  
More concerned that it gets dirty and contaminated.

Thats why they say to change the filter regularly. The darkness of the oil just shows it's working plus when oil is heated it will turn dark.
Never tried Castrol, might have to give it a whirl.  Will have to try my hand at the search and see if I get the right key words.Thx

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 10/26/06 at 05:08:26

Quote:
used to smell great out the exaust.

I love the smell of castol in the cool of the moring    Grin

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #11 - 10/26/06 at 08:10:37

Yes used to run R30 in my 350 LC and put a little in the tank of KLX.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/26/06 at 12:50:31

I love its (Castrol) smell, too, Lancer - all our bikes (mine, Dad's, Brother's & Sister's Lambretta scooter) ran on it/smelled of it in the old days.

haven't had Savage long miles wise - been using other bike more for longer distances but do & intend to do change of oil & filter every 1,000 - both are relatively cheap to me - filter especially bought in quantity off internet).

like I said - was curious how often others do it, more curious about whay there is difference of levels depending where I read & wonderewd if there was a consensus.

thanks as always for input, guys & gals!

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #13 - 10/26/06 at 15:28:21

Oil, in fact, does "wear out".  Some of the signs of "worn out oil" are sludge formation, foaming (not perceptible to the rider), allowance of rust inside the engine, decreased viscosity, oil lose due to burning/evaporation, and diminished ability to hold dirt particles away from wear surfaces.

Synthetic oil can usually help some of these "signs" but a high quality detergent package is necessary (which most manufacturers don't include.)

Synthetic oil itself will not break down like dyno-juice, but ALL detergent packages break down over time/use.  Its not a matter if "IF", just "WHEN".

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:34:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How Much Oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.