Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Clicking/sticking transmission, 1st gear (Read 16 times)
phasender
Ex Member

Clicking/sticking transmission, 1st gear
10/22/06 at 18:42:15

So about a third of the time that I shift down to first, instead of shifting smoothly down, the gear shift seems to hit something, I feel something clicking on it repeatedly, and when I release, it's still in neutral. The same thing happens sometimes shifting up or down into second.

My old bike, honda cm400t, used to do the same thing, but it happened very rarely.

Any thoughts on why it might be doing it, or how to fix it?
Am I destroying the transmission everytime it does that? Or is this just a normal thing?

It's a '97 Savage with 2600 miles on it.

Thanks everybody!

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Clicking/sticking transmission, 1st gear
Reply #1 - 10/22/06 at 19:28:49

How fast are you going on the down shift?  The owners manual says not to shift into first until you stop, I've been shifting into first just before I stop otherwise I have to play the clutch a little to get it to drop into gear.  It sounds to me when I've shifted into first too soon like part of the transmission where the gears are spins at whatever speed the rear tire is going regardless of clutch engagement, and shifting into first with the clutch in at 35 or 40 MPH (done it once) produced a whiring sound (I think that's a word) from the gears at the rear of the case.

Also, I'd be curious to know what type and weight oil you are using.

I also had two different Honda motorcycles that would do the same thing along with the famous--I mean infamous Honda miss-shift from 1st to 2nd...That was a function of transmission design vs. anything "wrong" mechanically (other than design Wink)

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #2 - 10/22/06 at 22:32:06

I don't go down into first unless I'm going extreamly slow like just about stopped or just before turning into my dirt lane. I have 2700mi on and I don't seem to have that trouble. It may just be that you are dropping it into first to soon.

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 10/23/06 at 09:57:42

It sounds like to me, that you are releasing the clutch a little too soon during your downshift from 2nd to 1st, and the noise is the gear not quite meshing. I know that a shift from 1st to 2nd or vice versa, requires a little more positive reenforcement as you are also slipping past neutral, compared to other gears. I know if I dump my clutch too soon, or I don't really emphasize that shift, I'll sometimes miss it. Just a thought.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 10/23/06 at 10:53:55

Also, check to be sure the linkage rod isn't bent.  This can happen from stomping on it to downshift.  I know because I bent mine.  It's about maybe five inches long I think, low on the left side.  If you start at the shifter and follow the linkage, you'll see it.  I also find it better to downshift while still moving.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #5 - 10/23/06 at 11:29:06

personally i hardley ever down shift to first.  If im comming to a stop i slow down by combination of front and rear brake and downshifting.  By the time i get to second gear, im coasting to a stop anyways and tap it to neutral.  Personal opinion:  First gear is for going forward not stopping.  Just my two cents

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 10/23/06 at 14:36:14

Hashbrown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
personally i hardley ever down shift to first.  If im comming to a stop i slow down by combination of front and rear brake and downshifting.  By the time i get to second gear, im coasting to a stop anyways and tap it to neutral.  Personal opinion:  First gear is for going forward not stopping.  Just my two cents

Me, I always downshift through all the gears, using front and rear brakes and engine braking, being careful not to downshift too soon. When I'm down into first, I try to keep moving if traffic will allow and see how slow I can go without dabbing my feet. I always want to be in the correct gear for the speed I'm going. I only pop it into neutral when I'm stopped at a long light and need to adjust my goggles or something.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/23/06 at 15:05:00

I come up to an almost stop in 2nd (hey, with a low revving bike like the Savage it does not stutter). Put it in neutral @ almost stop & leave it there (was told by Dad as a youth leaving bike in gear @ lights can prematurely wear out clutch or @ least springs (?). then snick it into gear when light changes. If tought to get in first I just roll bike a little as I gently push down on lever, usually avoiding any of that nasty grating sound.

IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/23/06 at 16:41:07

It actually happens a lot when I'm stopped at a light and shift down from neutral, so I don't think it has anything to do with the speed. It also happens sometimes when I'm shifting to/from second.
I thought that it might be because I wasn't hitting the gear shift hard enough. Hitting it hard helps, but it still happens a lot.

Would a different weight of oil help? I think I used 10w40 last time.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 10/23/06 at 18:10:02

check to insure linkage is not bent or loose...i changed to a syn oil(amsoil)on my 05 after 2500 miles and has improved shifting..1st is still sometimes a bit of a do from neutral .. i just got the feel for engagmaent by feathering the clutch while pushing down(DONT STOMP!!)on shift lever.. rockin the bike front to back sometimes..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 10/23/06 at 19:10:42

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
IPut it in neutral @ almost stop & leave it there (was told by Dad as a youth leaving bike in gear @ lights can prematurely wear out clutch or @ least springs (?).

big no no in my 30 plus riding experience. you are extremely at risk while stoped.  ie  rear ender, car taking corner wide, ect.  you must be able to quickly accelerate to avoid collisions.  stop lights are not the place to relax. most of the collisions i've seen have been stopped bikes getting hit.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/23/06 at 21:58:40

I beg to differ in my 39 years of riding, sluggo, but that's what makes the world go round - differences of opinions, even allowing for years of experience on both our parts. Grin

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 10/23/06 at 22:28:16

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I beg to differ in my 39 years of riding, sluggo, but that's what makes the world go round - differences of opinions, even allowing for years of experience on both our parts. Grin

ditto:

i just prefer safety over parts.  Roll Eyes

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 10/23/06 at 22:35:12

I've had the same experience as barry68v10.
And my motivation to get into first is it will stick in 2nd requiring a little clutch action to get it all the way into 2nd so I can shift into 1st.
And Sluggo that's exactly the way the MSF courses are taught.  Be alert, be ready.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 10/24/06 at 06:02:35

I almost always stay in gear at stops - as well as a path out of my "parked" position.  If I need to replace a $12 set of clutch springs a bit more often, I'll take that as the cost of reserving an escape.  It's definitely a personal choice but staying in 1st gear at stops is what the Motorcycle Safety Foundation teaches and I happen to agree with it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:29:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clicking/sticking transmission, 1st gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.