Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Clicking/sticking transmission, 1st gear (Read 16 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Clicking/sticking transmission, 1st gear
Reply #15 - 10/24/06 at 14:29:10

To piggyback here, how many folks do you know have been rear-ended at a stop-light or stop sign?  I have never personally had that happen, but I know a lot of people who have.  Remember...in a car you need to get a new bumper and see a chiropractor a couple of times to work out the kinks.  If it happens to you ONCE on a M/C...game over!  I'm a big fan of the "escape strategy" myself.  Don't trust other drivers!

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #16 - 10/24/06 at 14:38:39

i saw a nasty one in l.a.  i was riding west on the 10 freeway about robinson or so,  i glanced over to the other side of freeway just in time to see a m/c stopped in traffic on an off ramp, it was slammed into by a cage.  threw the passenger over top onto the trunk of the car ahead. it was ugly, and i only got a short look.  

on another occasion i was by lax stopped. it was late virtually no traffic when i saw the headlites coming up quickly, saw he wasnt going to stop and was able to make a quick right on imperial ave. it was close. had to change my shorts after that one. had i not been paying attention, i wouldn't be here today.  

stop lights are not the place to relax.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Clicking/sticking transmission, 1st gear
Reply #17 - 10/24/06 at 14:43:23

darn - feel like both moderators are playing tag wrestling with me! Grin

seriously, on both occasions I have been rear-ended on a bike (yes, on both sides of the Atlantic!) it happened so quick.

one car came round a curve fast into me & bunch of cars @ the light. damaged bike - but his insurance more than covered it. no damage to me & (scared friend on back s@%tless).

other time driver went "brake, gas, oh s@%t, brake again" as he realized he jumped the gun @ the light ("my foor just slipped off the gas" - don't think so as he punted a 630lb bike & me into the car waiting in front.) lucky not hurt but one of us left in "bracelets" & it wasn't me or the cop!

both times I was in line in 2 traffic lanes so even if in gear could not have got out of way - also even if @ front of line would not fancy risking pulling into traffic going across my path.

moreover, cost of springs might not be great but don't want drag (clutch drag? - no pun intended!) of having to change them.

so far in almost 40 year not broken a bone on a bike despite 10,000 miles a year in London traffic for 20 of them so happy with how I drive.

Like I said - each to their own, though. know as well the MSF teachers here  don't preach what they teach so have doubts about some parts of that way of doing things.

my last word on subject - partly included because the second guy's excuse was so funny I almost laughed if I had not been pissed about the damage to my B & I wanted to share it, partly because as I said felt like I was being gang attacked (kidding!)  Smiley Grin

As far as  changing into first while on the (slow) move - don't really have problems - been trying it more since this link started & seems to go smoothly enough (runnning standard Valvoline 10-40).

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/24/06 at 15:20:58

I stay in gear as well when stopped.  One of the first things taught in an MSF class as well.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #19 - 10/24/06 at 15:35:40

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I wanted to share it, partly because as I said felt like I was being gang attacked (kidding!)  Smiley Grin

WARNING  EXPLICIT CONTENT FOLLOWS, NOT FOR THE SENSETIVE OF MIND.

I guess that's better than getting gang banged.   Shocked Shocked Shocked

sorry folks just had to say it.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/24/06 at 16:21:39

darn - I said last entry was my last but sluggo - your words were the exact ones I wanted to use, but didn't in case PC people read this site!!  Shocked

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #21 - 10/24/06 at 16:46:36

i've been called alot of things over the years, but sluggo and politically correct have yet to be used in the same sentance.

not only do i call a spade a spade, i call it a F'N shovel.  8)

IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/24/06 at 19:35:21

LOL you guys are great. Thanks for alll the advice. Yesterday on the road, I suddenly found myself without the ability to shift. I checked the gear shift rod and I saw that....

it was being held together by duct tape.

I only bought it a week or two ago.

I did some Macguvering with what I could find... electrical tape, a plastic marker housing, and some picture hanging wire, so it's running again. It's a $6 part you can install with pliers! Why would someone not replace it? Hopefully I'll get the rod next week, and maybe I won't have that shifting problem anymore.

Since the discussion's shifted to motorcycle safety, would you all agree that in slippery conditions it's best to brake first with the rear brake and avoid squeezing the front brake too hard?  I only ask because the day BEFORE yesterday, it was raining, I was stopped at an intersection, light turned green, accelerated, SUV decides to rush a left turn in front of me, I squeezed the front brake, and even though I thought my wheel was straight on, the front wheel slipped to the left and I had my first spill. After that, I was VERY careful with slowing down and made sure to use my rear brake every time.

IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/24/06 at 19:37:43

Hell, while I'm at it, I'll ask, is the little plug that comes out of the left hand grip an accessory plug of sorts? Can you plug a cigarette lighter into it?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #24 - 10/25/06 at 02:32:33

phasender:  You should get into the habit of ALWAYS using the front and rear brake together.  The front brake will handle 70-90% of the stopping duties, but the rear break at the same time will help straighten out the bike and minimize front-end dive.  It takes practice/experience to know just how hard you can apply the brakes in different scenarios w/o locking up.

Do you ride left of center in the lane you choose?  The reason I ask is there is usually oil in the center and in the summer time a/c units on cars usually drain into the right side of the lane.  Riding left of center in the cage tire path will help maximize tire traction.  I'd recommend getting into a MSF course if you haven't already.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #25 - 10/25/06 at 02:52:46

Posted by: phasender      Posted on: 24. Oct 2006 at 22:37
Hell, while I'm at it, I'll ask, is the little plug that comes out of the left hand grip an accessory plug of sorts? Can you plug a cigarette lighter into it?

What plug?? Was the road damp? And if so was you in the center of the lane? If I'm in slick situations, wet, snow or gravel I usally apply more of a bake brake then front. Sometime in certain situations I will not use front brake.

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/25/06 at 08:00:05

Thanks Barry. I always try to stay off the dark line in the center of the lane, but usually I pick the left side or right side based on how much I trust the cars in the other lanes, and where the blindspots are (I ride around the city during rush hour a lot).

I actually learned how to ride last year through a state MSF course, but since I didn't know how to ride at the time, I don't remember all the rules, e.g. I forgot about the MSF rule of not shifting into neutral at a light.

The state course was free, but it was too boring and basic for me to go through again. Do you think the MSF advanced rider course is worthwhile?

IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 10/25/06 at 08:56:38

Yeah, the road was quite slick, and I was probably close to the center of the road, in the intersection. Big mistake, right?

Coming out of the switch box on the left grip is a 1-2" piece of wire with a little electrical plug at the end. I thought I could plug my hand warmers into it, but it doesn't fit. Too small. I ended up wiring the warmers directly to the battery, which is great, as long as you remember to turn the warmers off, which I didn't the other day. I'm hoping that if I wire them into the plug, that they'll automatically turn off when I remove the ignition.

IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #28 - 10/26/06 at 02:53:18

If the road was real slick and you were in towards center chances are a tad to much front brake (OUCH  Shocked! that'll leeave a mark).
Now you got me courious. I have never noticed a wire at the hand grip anywhere. It's a 06. Have to take a good look.

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #29 - 10/26/06 at 04:52:43

I took the Advanced MSF course recently (required by my employer) and even after riding for 20+ years I learned a few things, met some great people, and brushed up my skills on my new-to-me Savage.  If it's free, I'd say it's worthwhile especially since most insurance companies will give you a break if you've taken it.  It only lasted about 4-5 hours and was almost all riding. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:35:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clicking/sticking transmission, 1st gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.