Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
MPH (Read 7 times)
mickthelimey
Ex Member

MPH
10/22/06 at 16:01:06

When I first got my Savage,I should say a week or two after I got it,I took it for a speed test and got 80 mph.
I put on a harley muffler,still 80 mph, I put in a 150 main jet in the carb,still 80 mph,an iridium plug,still 80,a K& N air filter,guess what ? you guessed it 80 mph,I'm beginning to think you guys who are getting close to 100mph are snowing me, I do get faster exceleration,and the backfiring has almost gone,but that's it ! any more bright ideas beside getting a better bike?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: MPH
Reply #1 - 10/22/06 at 16:24:51

94 mph indicated with new tire 140/90 , bone stock except supper trap 4 disk.  it took over a mile to get it up to speed. no wind.  

unlike my vw  which got 0 to 60 in ten.  thats right ten minutes that is.   Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 10/22/06 at 17:42:28

Don't think there is any snow job going on, only saw 85mph today with WOT on a long flat road tucked over the tank. Took off the windshield and lost almost 10mph on the top speed, was able to see 95mph with the windshield on and laid flat. A lot is aerodynamics and wind resistance. Still looking for the ton with my '02, seems not many Savages have been there. Heard somewhere that if you run the carb a bit rich on the top it will give a little more top end end but it screws up the rest of the power curve. Try removing the air box door for a speed run, I drilled holes in mine, beer, a drill and a bike leads to some strange mods Grin.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 10/22/06 at 17:58:49

Mick,

Most configs of this engine (lancer's setup doesn't really count here) have a HP peak at 5400 RPMs (based on cam profile, compression ratio, stroke length and stroke/rod ratio, and spark curve profile.)  At 80 MPH you're really close to the peak, and if you go faster, the HP actually drops off as torque plummets to the 6500 RPM redline.  With a stock HP around 30, roughly 85 MPH is where the amount of drag on a stock bike with a typical rider is bleeding about 30 HP.  Wind resistance increases EXPONENTIALLY as speed increases.  For example, your motorcycle (and your car for that matter) requires TWICE as much HP to travel 65 MPH as it needs to maintain 55 MPH.  The only 2 ways known to man to increase top-speed are:

#1 - reduce drag
#2 - increase HP

And #1 is more important than #2 for the above reasons.

(Gearing changes are really #2 when you think about it, your just changing the speed where you hit peak HP.)

You are increasing your HP with the mods, but not likely much above 5000 RPMs.  Remember, with a 3.7 inch stroke, piston speed on an LS650 is greater than some 600 cc 4-bangers at 12000+ RPMs.

A shorter stroke would give more RPM range to play with but would decrease torque.  Another consideration is the cam duration and lift, which is setup for 5500 RPMs and below.  A more radical cam, increased compression ratio, and altered spark advance would help RPMs as long as the rest of the components can withstand the punishment, but your idle and low-end would REALLY suffer.

Bottom line: can a Savage hit 100 MPH, sure...but not in anything resembling a stock configuration.  If speed is your goal, you need more cylinders or lots of mods and taller gearing IMHO.  If you want to hit the 100 MPH mark, go buy a bone-stock Kawasaki EX-500 and you're there, and probably for less $ than it would take for the Savage.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
riptide_fl
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/22/06 at 19:30:55

The best I can do on my 2006 S40 is about 85.. The way it vibrates I woldnt want to do more than that !! lol..

I also have a bone stock Ninja 250 that I ride most of the time that will easily do 100 with no vibration !!

IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #5 - 10/22/06 at 21:54:22

The book says not to exceed 100. I don't think they ever rode one to see that it dosen't do that. I too have seen 85 and that is totaly stock 06, no windshield and not laid over the tank. Don't see it real often but I have seen it. Thought it might only be me not seeing the good #'s but I guess not.:'(

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
ChopDog
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/22/06 at 22:18:57

OK MY TURN.  SO TO ANSWER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION, YES YOU COULD DO MORE TO INCREASE "SPEED".  WITH ALL OF THE MODDING YOU'VE DONE YOU SEEM TO HAVE LEFT OUT TWO.  YES, ONLY TWO BUT PROBABLY THE TWO MOST IMPORTANT (OTHER THAN THE CARB.)

1. GO WITH AN OVERSIZE PISTON.  I THINK THIS IS COMMON SENSE.  BASICALLY YOUR MAKING A BIGGER MOTOR.  OBVIOUSLY WHAT COMES WITH THIS IS TO BORE THE CYLINDER. (AND YOU MIGHT AS WELL CARBIDE TREAT IT AFTER IT'S BORED)

2.  PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT.  RE-MACHINE YOUR CAM FOR PERFORMANCE.  

TYPE THESE INTO YOUR SEARCH FIELD AND I'M POSITIVE YOU'LL FIND SOMEONE ON HERE THAT'S DYING TO TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT IN A PREVIOUS THREAD.

-AND THIS IS 2 CENTS YOU CAN TAKE TO THE BANK-

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #7 - 10/22/06 at 22:40:09

ChopDog wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

1. GO WITH AN OVERSIZE PISTON.  I THINK THIS IS COMMON SENSE.  BASICALLY YOUR MAKING A BIGGER MOTOR.  OBVIOUSLY WHAT COMES WITH THIS IS TO BORE THE CYLINDER. (AND YOU MIGHT AS WELL CARBIDE TREAT IT AFTER IT'S BORED)

2.  PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT.  RE-MACHINE YOUR CAM FOR PERFORMANCE.  

TYPE THESE INTO YOUR SEARCH FIELD AND I'M POSITIVE YOU'LL FIND SOMEONE ON HERE THAT'S DYING TO TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT IN A PREVIOUS THREAD.

-AND THIS IS 2 CENTS YOU CAN TAKE TO THE BANK-

#1 should be.. strip off all excess weight.  ie signals, rear seat, original seat, replace with chopper seat, side rails, bob it. right hand mirror. chain guard, saddlebags. bar end caps, replace muffler with lighter one. pretty much what i've done with thumper. it now weights in at 290 lbs.

then if ya got the bucks and experience do the steps listed above.

make the speed run on reserve. less fuel, less weight.    

really if you want to go that fast, get a different machine. like maybe an old kawi 750 tripple. that'll get ya over a hundred easy.  Grin

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 10/23/06 at 06:21:37

I don't think most of the people claiming 100 mph on a Savage are trying to snow anyone. (There may be an exception to my impression.) However I also don't think it is easy. I'm also pretty sure it is not for people who want to sit back with apehangers and their pegs down near the ground with a stock engine.

As several others have stated if a ton of speed is your only goal, get a MC that is made to run those speeds in stock configuration, and learn how to ride it. Today's sport tourers will do a ton all day long. A lot of sport bikes pass 100 on the way up like other MC's come off the starting line. A naked cruiser like the Savage is going to need some help.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #9 - 10/23/06 at 13:24:47

About lightening the load for better speed here is what I found:

- In my case it goes about 75mph WITH a passenger (130.lb She´s thin thank god Grin) and takes for ever to reach 80mph, if at all.

- And riding SOLO (I´m 140.lb) it goes about 85mph and takes for ever to reach 90mph, if at all.

It´s not math but hope this illustrates the idea that for about every 10 punds less, only ONE more mph can be achieved at top speed.

Therefore more HP are the better choice, not less weight.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 10/23/06 at 14:18:47

my point is this.  start with weight reduction. then hp.

ever see a race cars gear shift and other parts. they've got holes drilled in them  to reduce weight.

i've trimmed 60 lbs off thumper, so using your "fuzzy" math. i've gained  6 mph top speed.  thats the difference between 87 and 93, considerable i would say. and it cost absolutley nothing.

now i don't ride that speed regularly so  i'll take that gain long before i would tear into the engine.  

want a faster bike, buy a different bike.  i'm happy with thumper just the way it is.  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 10/23/06 at 16:51:35

I'll vouch for Barry's assertion that aerodynamics play a large part.  A properly installed windshield helps a lot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/23/06 at 19:36:01

I do have a windshield on,it came with the bike,I had never ridden with one before,it was considered a bit nansy pansy in my youth,             but now that I have one I wouldn't be without it,it allows me to ride way later into winter, I did manage to eke out 85 today,with a light wind at my back ,and no cops thank goodness.
             Don't get the wrong idea gents I was looking for a little more top speed because of all the blurbs I've read about 95s and one guy saying a 100,you know who you are. I'm quite happy with my steed,however I am saving for a little 250cc ninja ,just so that I have a bike to satisfy my need for the occasional blast from the past. thanks for all your input, Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 10/23/06 at 23:56:04

Whats the big deal about top speed? 85 isnt fast enough? Traveled 11 states and the top speed on any interstate was 75. Plenty fast enough for me.  My bike has seen many hours of 70 plus cruising, but Im no sure if ive ever gone over 80mph. Other than the fact that one might be curious as to whether it could actually  reach a 100 without exploding,  a 85 mph bike is plenty fast enough for any single rider. Its a cruiser , so just cruise.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #14 - 10/24/06 at 01:46:02

I don´t think any of us ride at "high" speeds ALL the time, it´s just fun to know it can be done.
If so, we would all be in the hayabusa forum and not here.

But there´s just something about that elusive 100mph mark.

Wow! 60lbs?!  How you did that?

What I meant earlier is that I thought removing things like mirrors and signals would not make any real difference (and also you kinda need things like signals and mirrors) but 60 pounds are A LOT of weight.

Very true as well is that one should avoid getting into the engine for no good reason; so the carb & exhaust seem to be a good place to start for more HPs.

aaanyway...

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:24:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › MPH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.