MPH (Read 7 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: MPH
Reply #15 - 10/24/06 at 03:29:16

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
.... But there´s just something about that elusive 100mph mark....

Aye... I think it was in '64, maybe '65.  We had a mid-size '63 Plymouth, 225" slant six, auto.  Went to visit my brother in Navy Boot in Chicago, on the freeway back to detroit.  Mum's asleep.  Sis is asleep.  Road is clean and clear and straight.  Depress the accellerator, picking up speed.  Got up to the magical 100 mph -- cruising along quite nicely.  Not bad for a six-cylinder econo-car.  Caddy passes me doing at least 120 mph.  Let the speed ease back to 75.

I have no clear highways around here.   But I think you have the right of it -- yeah, it's just a little cruiser, yeah it loves the back roads at 45 mph.  But what is it's top end; stock and with a little assist?  The stock gearing will do 100 if you can find the HP and cut the wind drag.  

I've gone and put a windshield in the wife's Amazon shopping cart.  Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #16 - 10/24/06 at 04:08:28

It's not so much running at a very high speed alot (maybe once and awhile...ok twice in awhile)  it's being able to roll down the road and know that there is something left in the throttle to goose it around that big truck (which I drive) and get on down the road before it lays a gator out in front of you. Or to get up through the suction/tubunlence more quickly. Grin

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 10/24/06 at 05:12:59

For me, it's mostly about the rolling acceleration ... especially in 2nd  & 3rd on the Savage because that is where most of it is ... I just like the feel of it.   100?  I am just curious to see what affect the latest change has done to the performance capability.
Besides, it is a noise making machine and when it is running really good I love the sound.

When in the Army flying helicopters in Vietnam (no speed limits, no rules, if you can make the machine do something then you just did it) I loved flying low and fast.  It was a necessity to avoid being shot down, but aside from that one little drawback, it was a blast to do.  The UH-1H Huey is essentially a pickup truck, and only good for about 120 knots (~140 mph), but when flying 3' off the ground and dodging bushes, water buffalo or little farmers in the rice field, or maybe turning up sideways to skinny in between 2 trees,  it was a bunch of fun.   You know how it seems you are going so fast on a go-cart because you are so close to the ground?  It's that kind of thing when you're just 3' up @ 140mph.
I had ONE incident while doing that, it was this skinny little sapling sticking up about 10' above everything else, except that it did not show itself until we topped this little rise and had all of .1 seconds before it SLAPPED the front of the fuslage ... broke out all of the windshield on my side ... @ 140 mph it gets pretty darn windy let me tell you...and I was the one flying!  I hollered for the other pilot to take the controls, the crew and passengers all thought I was cut to pieces at first but fortunately not.  We were still flyable but at a much slower speed as we made our way back to the base.

One of these days I should tell you all about the "falling off the top of the mountain" flying technique.

IP Logged
riptide_fl
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/24/06 at 05:45:59

Mick, If your thinking of a Ninja 250 ,here is a great website..The Ninja 250 rider's club...The FAQs on this site are excellant !!!

http://www.ninja250.info/index.htm

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #19 - 10/24/06 at 05:52:29

You know what I find funny about all this?

That for some reason a Savage is considered (in most reviews and by today´s standards) a "small" bike.

It´s a 650 FGS!  Brando´s bike in The Wild One was a Triumph Thunderbird 650, and that was the baddest, coolest, biggest bike around back then. Yeah, things have changed, but that´s the whole point: the Savage stayed true to it´s classic roots Grin

(...amazing stories Lancer Wink)

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 10/24/06 at 06:43:49

mick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
,however I am saving for a little 250cc ninja

Mick, if I remember correct and no offense and all but you might, just maybe, be past your more flexible years where folding yourself into the required pretzel position to ride a 250 ninja is a comfortable thing, at least for me it only takes about 15 minutes to want off

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/24/06 at 07:12:56

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Mick, if I remember correct and no offense and all but you might, just maybe, be past your more flexible years where folding yourself into the required pretzel position to ride a 250 ninja is a comfortable thing, at least for me it only takes about 15 minutes to want off
    Yes indeed I am getting close to the non flex years I will be 69 next month,however I have been on a diet of late and lost 25 lbs ,I exercise every morning,I'm almost down to my army wieght of 135 just 4 more pounds to go before I would fit in my old uniform,if I hadn't thrown it away in complete discust.
      I can touch my toes without bending my knees,the only difference now is that I creek a bit ,and let loose the occasional fart. and as I always say,"your a long time dead"
       One more thing ,my 70 year old brother in law drag races a chevy pick up at the strip that is very close to us,he is doing about 84mph in a quarter mile,I would very much like to beat his sorry a$$ Wink

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/24/06 at 08:27:54

The Lettuce is unmodified and hits 140kph/87mph if I really push for it.  But it don't like it much and neither do I.

I was up for doing the mods - Sportster exhaust, 152.5 jet etc but am now having second thoughts.

Kev and Mick, my mates who got me into bikes always maintained that the most dangerous part of any bike is the rider's right wrist.  How true.  I just got back from a hospital visit to the son of a couple in the church- I'm a pastor so its all part of the job.  I didn't go on the bike and David was in hospital for another op on his knee after coming off his Ducati Monster on a bend on what is our favourite road.  That he lived to tell the tale is pretty remarkable when you list his injuries: 14 breaks in his right femur (yes, 14!). Broken hip. Broken left shoulder. Both wrists. Both ankes including compound fracture of the left - the bone broke out through his Alpinestar kevlar racing boots.  Skin stripped off both hands.  he was wearing full leathers, boots, winter gloves and a quality full-face helmet, plus back-protector.  The skid generated enough heat to melt the plastic of the back-protector underneath his leathers.  He was pieced back together with titanium and mesh.  A year on he can walk again but very stiffly hence repeat operation on knee.

He had been doing something near 180kph/112.5mph.  Speed and overconfidence (AKA stupidity) very nearly killed him.

Sobering stuff.  The Lettuce in stock form will do for me.

IP Logged
riptide_fl
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/24/06 at 08:32:48

Mick, The riding position on any bike is a matter of individuality...I'm 61 years old and can ride my ninja 250 for 500+ miles a day and it doesnt bother me in any way...I've done it several times.. To me that position is more natural and comfortable, no sore back or monkee butt..I could never last that long on the S40, even with the frequent fuel stops required..

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #24 - 10/24/06 at 12:35:51

mick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
    Yes indeed I am getting close to the non flex years I will be 69 next month,however I have been on a diet of late and lost 25 lbs ,I exercise every morning,I'm almost down to my army wieght of 135 just 4 more pounds to go before I would fit in my old uniform,if I hadn't thrown it away in complete discust.
      I can touch my toes without bending my knees,the only difference now is that I creek a bit ,and let loose the occasional fart. and as I always say,"your a long time dead"
       One more thing ,my 70 year old brother in law drag races a chevy pick up at the strip that is very close to us,he is doing about 84mph in a quarter mile,I would very much like to beat his sorry a$$ Wink

sounds like a job for an older 1200 bandit

and several others that will do the job

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_street_bike_performance_times/

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #25 - 10/24/06 at 12:38:05

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Wow! 60lbs?!  How you did that?

What I meant earlier is that I thought removing things like mirrors and signals would not make any real difference (and also you kinda need things like signals and mirrors) but 60 pounds are A LOT of weight.

signals are not required in washington state.

reducing the weight was pretty easy. signals, signal mounts. right hand mirror, every reflector, all  that stuff adds up.

the biggest gain came from the bob job.. fender, fender rails, sissy bar. both seats. muffler change.

here's the end result, check out the lines from handle bars to rear wheel.  down the tank and curved over seat and fender, and the dual triangles of front end and engine area.  i spent alot of time getting the lines right, and i believe it shows.  i bought the machine just so i could bob it. i was stripping off stuff the day i brought it home. every part i replaced has come off some other machine.  50 year old tail light, used supper trap, used chopper seat.  seat springs off a thirty year old bicycle seat. handlebars from a junk pile.  chrome fenders off a 25 year old gn400.
thats why everybody thinks it's an old harley.  ask max, he's seen it in person.  he provided the suppertrapp, and helped me burn off the rear tire.  thanks max it's gotten alot of hits on youtube. only regret from that deal was it was just me and him.  i watched a simular burnout on biker build off, the crowd went wild. and it wasn't even as good as mine.  just in case you missed it http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4pnqtSfqcM

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #26 - 10/24/06 at 15:55:19

Okay!  I've fought the urge to chime in and lost!

I reiterate...there are only TWO ways to increase top speed:  HP, and aerodynamics.

Weight affects acceleration (WHEN you hit top speed) but has virtually NO EFFECT on top speed itself.  (More weight will cause a miniscual amount of extra friction on the tire-road contact, but also drops the bike a little, decreasing drag.  Result:  A wash.  Extra weight in the form of ground effects, airfoils etc. can increase weight AND increase top-speed.)

If you study Sluggo's bike you will notice a MUCH better coefficient of drag than stock!  No mirrors and signals acting like sails, lower rider seating position (biggest effect), less air catching fenders, etc.  Until somebody disproves the laws of physics (don't hold you breath folks) there are still only TWO WAYS to increase top speed on a land-locked rig!  HP and aerodynamics!  (Again, aerodynamics are more important.)

Note:  weight DOES affect aircraft BECAUSE more weight for a given lift WILL increase drag.  Not-so for land-born vehicles.  Sea-born vehicles can experience the same effect as air-born craft by increasing the draft (depth craft sits in the water), but hydrofoil designs can reverse some of this effect by lifting the craft out of the water and limiting drag from the water + increaseing top speed.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #27 - 10/24/06 at 16:17:33

i'll buy that concept for a dollar.  the lower seating position allows the rear pegs to be used in a better aerodynamic seating position.

franky, i made the mods as appearance mods, not performance. i will probably not take it up to top speed again.  yeah right.   i am quite satisfied with the way thumper looks and runs.  when i get the need for speed i go beat up the kids and their high rev tuners with my 95 accura.  it looks like a grandpa's car, fly's like a bat out of well you know where.  i topped that out at 139mph one evening on a road we closed at 3 am. a trooper friend of my did the radar to verify, a fact the department never heard about.  i wanted 140 but just couldn't get it.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #28 - 10/24/06 at 16:57:37

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
i'll buy that concept for a dollar.  the lower seating position allows the rear pegs to be used in a better aerodynamic seating position.

franky, i made the mods as appearance mods, not performance. i will probably not take it up to top speed again.  yeah right.   i am quite satisfied with the way thumper looks and runs.  when i get the need for speed i go beat up the kids and their high rev tuners with my 95 accura.  it looks like a grandpa's car, fly's like a bat out of well you know where.  i topped that out at 139mph one evening on a road we closed at 3 am. a trooper friend of my did the radar to verify, a fact the department never heard about.  i wanted 140 but just couldn't get it.  

acura's are high reving tuners too!

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #29 - 10/24/06 at 17:01:10

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
acura's are high reving tuners too!

with the exception of a k&n filter it's stock. that's why i don't consider it a HRT.  but it is the engine model number the kids are looking for.

oh yeah,  i'm getting your piston from lancer to make a headlight out of.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:34:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › MPH

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.