Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
bang for your buck (Read 11 times)
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

bang for your buck
10/20/06 at 19:16:22

Can anyone think of a better bike for the buck than we get with the savage ?

In my case I had limited funds ($1200 from an ATV sale) and i had asked my friends advice, he said get the newest model year you can, no matter what it is. Everything I looked at was 80's, chain drive, needing something or other, then stumbled on to the savage, a 98 for $1100 jacket and helmet thrown in. yeah it had 16k but so what ? this was clearly a case of rather being lucky than good as the savage is in it's own right an awesome motorcycle.
recently we measured the 2 bikes to see if they would both fit in my toyota pickup and he was flabergasted when the harley was only 2 inches longer.
It's all in the sweeping savage rake.
By the way that friend who gave me advice rides a 2000 harley 1200 sportster xl for which he paid 8999 used.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Re: bang for your buck
Reply #1 - 10/21/06 at 18:00:31

I got my '95 in August with less than 8000 miles, with studded throwover bags, Slipstreamer windshield and a highway bar with O-ring footpegs, for the paltry sum of $1200. It's been great. T'is better to be lucky than good most times.  Grin

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #2 - 10/21/06 at 22:58:40

Nop, canīt think of any bike that comes even close for that price.  

$1,100 for a 98 with 16k sounds pretty sweet to me.

Maybe you can get a recent model Honda Rebel 250 (or a Suzuki GZ250 or something from the now "classic" Honda CB series) for around that price.

Rebels are a bit underpowered and lack the torque of a Savage (which is the FUN part Grin) but the top speed issue can be fixed easily by getting a 30 or 28 tooth rear sprocket instead of the 33 stocker.

Rebels, and such, are cheap, light and nimble and good enough to learn the basics and this will give you enough time to save some more money untill you are ready sell the pile and upgrade, and buy a Savage Grin.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 10/22/06 at 05:44:24

Just changing the rear pully will not make for a higher top speed, only more power will accomplish that.  
When the engine is making enough power to pull 5th gear all the way to 6500 rpm (the stated redline/max rpm), which will translate to about 100 mph +/-, then you could change the pulley and expect that it might increase the max speed.
Many bikes may even have a higher top speed in 4th gear than 5th, because 5th is too tall for the power available.  5th gear is typically a highway cruise gear, made to be able to cruise at 60 or 70 at a lower rpm than the old standard 4 gear trans.

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/23/06 at 03:04:17

With respect, I read the earlier post to be referring to changing the rear sprocket on the Rebel not the belt pulley on our Savages - an issue pretty comprehensively debated recently in another string. Tongue

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 10/23/06 at 04:11:49

Salad_Shaker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
With respect, I read the earlier post to be referring to changing the rear sprocket on the Rebel not the belt pulley on our Savages - an issue pretty comprehensively debated recently in another string. Tongue

OK, it is out in the open now, I am mentally challenged.  Roll Eyes  
Of course there are some folks who having known me for many years would say that is nothing new.  Thank you for helping this older person across the road of words in order to avoid being hurt by the oncoming traffic.  I thank you.
Trying to skim through the posts too quickly ends up with me in a rear end collision when I post a response that is #*@^ ... wrong.
Thank you for being gentle as well.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Reply #6 - 10/23/06 at 11:43:50

All that Iīm trying to say is that:

- NO, I donīt think anything comes even close in value more than a Suzuki Savage. Thatīs why I bought one Grin  

- And that I used to have a Rebel a while back and it would seem that the engine would explode at 60m/h (4th top/gear) untill I changed the rear procket and that helped things A LOT.

- And that the Rebel (and other bikes like it) and the Savage are in the same price range (both new and used) and that itīs clear which is the better choice, for people in the market for one, that is. Unless you want to spend $5000+ for a used Sportster which is the bike after which basically the Savage was designed after.

Thatīs all.

(And donīt roll your eyes at me for trying to participate and give my opinion and share my experiences Roll Eyes )

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 10/23/06 at 11:50:50

Quote:
(And donīt roll your eyes at me for trying to participate Roll Eyes )

I used the rolling eye character because I am a bit goofy at times, and because like everyone I may say of do something dumb.  I was making fun of myself.
Lighten up and have fun.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Reply #8 - 10/23/06 at 11:58:01

Grin

Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #9 - 10/24/06 at 10:22:19

$1600 for a 98 with only 3500 miles.  Now thats a bang for your buck.  

Also, its not the fact that you can push 80 that makes the savage great, its because you can get their in 6 seconds!  Grin

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/25/06 at 08:55:34

Whilst I do enjoy going from zero to max in as short a time as possible I've not yet worked out how to time myself while doing it - it takes pretty much all my powers of concentration to get The Lettuce screaming down the highway without keeping half an eye on a stopwatch.  How? Any suggestions?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 10/26/06 at 05:19:25

That is what the Veypor is for.

By the way, just as a general notice, I am backing out of the parts business a good bit.  It is taking too much time with little return for it.  Especially the ebay fee's, they are eating up most of the gross profit and leaving almost no net profit.
So if anyone wants to get a Veypor, VR2 or accessories for them, I will get them at cost + shp  for anyone who wants them.
By Christmas time I plan on being down to just the Savage specific parts.

The Veypor lists for $279, cost was $205 the last time I ordered one.  Shipping runs $15-20 mostly, depending on whether it is shipped from the Canadian or the US facility.
So the total would be about $225 instead of the regular $300.

I will post a seperate notice with closeout prices on parts after we get back from out trip this next week.

Salad_Shaker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Whilst I do enjoy going from zero to max in as short a time as possible I've not yet worked out how to time myself while doing it - it takes pretty much all my powers of concentration to get The Lettuce screaming down the highway without keeping half an eye on a stopwatch.  How? Any suggestions?

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #12 - 10/26/06 at 05:22:12

I think the Concours is more bang for the buck than the Savage, but then again some people would just call me cheap. A lot of other people out there agree that there isn't a MC that gives more bang for the buck than the Concours, and acknowledge the Savage as a close second. Personally, I think the Ninja 250 is a lot of bang for the buck also.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #13 - 10/26/06 at 15:21:35

I got a 98 Savage with 698 miles for $1775.  It was in showroom condition when I picked it up.  I hope nobody hates me for this, but I had no intention of buying a Savage (I'm over 6' and everything I read said the Savage was too small for me.)  Now that I have it I've been riding it to work everyday and really like it!  I've been getting close to 60 MPG and I'll continue to ride it as long as the temp is above freezing.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #14 - 10/26/06 at 19:46:15

I got an awesome deal when I purchased my used Savage.  A 2000 with 7,400 kms. on it for $2899 Cdn.  New ones were going for @ $5000 here.  

I keep snooping in the Buy & Sell magazine - not because I am looking because I love my savage, but just to keep an idea of prices etc.  The only bikes I've seen with similar prices are the 250s, or older bikes with lots of miles on them.  The cheapest new Harley, the 883 retails here for @ $8 or 9 grand.  Though there are some pretty nice end of season deals.

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:17:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bang for your buck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.