Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: bang for your buck
Reply #15 - 10/27/06 at 08:39:53

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I got a 98 Savage with 698 miles for $1775.  It was in showroom condition when I picked it up.  I hope nobody hates me for this, but I had no intention of buying a Savage (I'm over 6' and everything I read said the Savage was too small for me.)  Now that I have it I've been riding it to work everyday and really like it!  I've been getting close to 60 MPG and I'll continue to ride it as long as the temp is above freezing.  

That is one heck of a deal.  I got my 98 Savage a little over two years with 1640 miles on it in excellent condition for $2200.  Good enough for me.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Vikki
YaBB Newbies

I love my 1996
LS650!

Aldergrove, British Columbia
Reply #16 - 10/27/06 at 08:46:38

You're right, Diane. The prices are horrendous. I was shocked when I started shopping around for a used bike and discovered that $2,000 Canadian would generally only get you a 20-year-old bike with 40,000 kilometres on it and in need of some work.

My husband fluked out on a website where a guy had just posted his 1996  Savage with 5,800 miles (9,300 kilometres) on it with no work needed for only $2,000 Canadian. You can bet we jumped on that right away, especially when he sent us the pictures and we saw the excellent condition of the bike.

There were some additional costs incurred along the way because the bike had been purchased in the U.S. and had never been registered in Canada, so we agreed to split the costs, and in the end we paid $2,200 – still WAY better than anything else we had seen. It has turned out be an excellent purchase.

Vikki

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/27/06 at 13:59:40

I think for that price your options are SEVERELY LIMITED.  I think u could get a very nice bicycle with that budget tho. I think for the money you are better off with a Suzuki Savage that has been taken care of and low miles.  

U'll notice that the stock savage has a longer rake than a harley sportster.  wierd huh?

ps no offense about the budget..  I only paid 1300 for mine but the cam chain broke like 1k after I got it.  I should have realized that METAL SLAPPING NOISE wasnt normal hehe.  I had a 1995 with a 5 speed.  U prob want a 5speed because it breaks 100mph easier (  Roll Eyes )  Teasin

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #18 - 10/27/06 at 18:07:42

In the Buy & Sell magazine (at least here in Ontario, Canada) I often see used savages with very few kilometers on them.  I guess people buy the bike, ride it for a bit, and then want to move up to a two cylinder or bigger bike.  

I am the 5th owner of my savage, and yet in the 5 years before I purchased it, those 4 owners only put on 7,400 kms.  Couldn't have ridden it much.  I don't ride it in the rain, but even so, I've just about gotten 13,000 kms. on it so far.  Kind of feel that the bike must be happy to finally be ridden and taken care off (lol).  

There do seem to be an awful lot of used bikes for sale though.  I wonder how many people go out buy a bike, find it's too much bike to handle, and then sell it.  

There sometimes seem to be good deals on salvage title bikes, if you know what to do to fix them and bring them back to title status.

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #19 - 10/27/06 at 19:00:54

I have a new S40 that I bought from the local Suzuki dealership for $4099.  I get compliments from Harley riders all the time on what a sharp bike it is.  It is stock with a Boulavard Sport shield and Boulavard compact slant bags.  I go out on very short 50 and 60 mile cruises all the time, and sometimes I go out on a medium cruise of around 200 miles or so.  The bike is comfortable for me, and when I get on the Interstate, I have no problem cruising at 70.  It is great around town and commuting back and forth to work (12 miles round trip), and just overall a pleasure to ride.  What more can you ask for for around $4000?
Gotta love the S40
Smiley 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
pittmancharles
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/28/06 at 19:35:19

01 ls650, 5000 miles on it, highway pegs, saddle bags, two helmets, sissy bar, got it for $1500. definately bang for a buck

IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 10/29/06 at 13:31:47

Pittmancharles,
Can I hear a hell yeah ?
that was an awesome deal, how long did you look for that bargain ?

IP Logged
femme fatale
YaBB Newbies

First Time Rider!
 Took me 50 years...

Reply #22 - 10/29/06 at 20:06:22

Hashbrown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
$1600 for a 98 with only 3500 miles.  Now thats a bang for your buck.  

Also, its not the fact that you can push 80 that makes the savage great, its because you can get their in 6 seconds!  Grin

Aaaa, I got a 2001 with only 533 miles for $1800!  I got a great BIG BANG for my buck!  The Michigan economy is all downhill so you can find great deals here.

2001 Savage. 600 Miles when I bought it. Put on highway bars, highway pegs, saddlebags, and looking for a windshield that will fit a person of my small stature.
WWW   IP Logged
pittmancharles
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/29/06 at 21:28:49

hell yeah.  deal fell in my lap, from a guy i was selling a guitar to.  

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #24 - 10/30/06 at 02:20:36

Quote:
Aaaa, I got a 2001 with only 533 miles for $1800!  I got a great BIG BANG for my buck!  The Michigan economy is all downhill so you can find great deals here.

Wow!  Guess I'll have to shop for stuff in Michigan...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/30/06 at 04:44:50

Can't match those supercheap purchases - The Lettuce cost me 2400€ (3000$) for a '97 with 20k km/12k miles on it, one previous owner.

However, the other question that the Savage wins on is cheap insurance.  I pay 180€ (230$) a year whereas the XJ 600 Diversion I was eyeing up would have cost me almost 1000€ (1290$) to insure! No contest, the Savage wins hands down.

Insurance is something I don't understand as it varies so much between markets - maybe there's a US/Canada divide on this too. There certainly is in Europe. That Divi could be insured in the UK for a mere 78 pounds a year i.e. 120€/150$.  Makes me seriously consider buying my next bike back in England, riding it the 1500miles out here and see how long I can get away with it on UK plates without importing it.

IP Logged
Bulwark
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 11/15/06 at 14:09:33

Well, I was heavily leaning towards a new 2006 GS500F but I think a S40 may be a better deal for me.  

Cash is very limited for us as Ive been on disability for a while now.

How is the Savage for having a passenger on it?  It will mostly be myself and my 7 yr old on the bike but once in a while I wouldnt mind having my wife on the back.

The S40 is $1100 CAD less than the GS and Ill mostly be in town with the occasional 2 hr drive.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 11/15/06 at 14:30:21

The substantial torque in the low/mid range and upright riding position make the Savage  a great "around town" bike.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #28 - 11/15/06 at 16:46:20

I've taken several trips with my 7-year old and my 10-year old.  Can't even tell they're on the back!

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:26:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bang for your buck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.