Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CHIRPING SOUND (Read 10 times)
grey-head
Ex Member

CHIRPING SOUND
10/18/06 at 18:33:02

MY SAVAGE IS A 2001 WITH 22000 MILES ON IT, RECENTLY IT STARTED MAKING A CHIRPING SOUND (THAT'S THE BEST WAY I CAN DESCRIBE IT) WHEN I SHIFT GEARS AND WHEN I LET OFF THE THROTTLE. THE CHIRP SEEMS TO BE COMING FROM THE BELT (USED THE FACTORY ADJUSTER TO CHECK TENSION)
 CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THIS MIGHT BE?
THANKS AND GOD BLESS...GREYHEAD

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: CHIRPING SOUND
Reply #1 - 10/18/06 at 18:35:56

It's the belt. Take your factory adjuster and sell it on ebay. It's worthless. Adjust the belt manually by tightening/loosening until you can turn it 90* in the middle. Wink

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 10/18/06 at 18:59:32

this again,  Wink ok.. several factors to be considered. belt adjustment, belt alignment, high humidity. the best thing to do is adjust, then ignore it.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 10/18/06 at 19:58:50

And that 90° twist should be in the middle of the bottom length of belt.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/19/06 at 10:35:26

how come you don't have to rotate wheel to find tight spot on belt to adjust where that falls @ bottom of chain run as you do with a chain - nobody seems to put this down as a requisite.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 10/19/06 at 20:52:36

I've rolled mine over many time while supported on the muffler bracket with a scissors jack and never noticed a tight spot like I often found in chain drive. Will have to check this out more next time mine is on the hoist for service. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #6 - 10/20/06 at 13:49:06

I have a chirping sounds too.  Drives me nuts, I have no clue what it is.  Sounds like its coming somewhere from the carb but I have taken that apart 3 times and still nothing.  

Ill pay more attention to the belt though.

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 10/20/06 at 14:58:19

luken- does your passenger have a rather elongated body and odd helmet? Kinda overdoes the body armor?? Cheesy

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 10/20/06 at 18:35:01

when i was shopping for a bike last feb my main 2 choices came down to the savage and the kaw vulcan 500 ltd..dealer at kaw was a stealer wouldnt deal PLUS bike had a chain....
love my  suzi to pieces but the belt chip drives me nuts..tried the tension tool, the 90 deg method, the dealer when he mounted my metzlers.. all adjustements in the last 6-8 weeks have not lasted more than a few days..
ok... supossed to get down in the 20s tonite was 50+ today .. reason i metion temp,  when i rode UP to the mesa(10k asl im at 4 k or so) a couple of times this summer, tee shirt in the valley chaps and leather jacket up top, the belt responded to the temp change,fine here,chirpin on the way up top(sometimes its a "wall"of temp change w/ elevation gain) about the same time the ears equalize the second time..
i thought the advantage of a belt was less headaches....can (should) belts be so temp sensitive as they age?5k on the od.... ???

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 10/21/06 at 14:33:08

Nothing a good set of earplugs won't fix   Grin

Yes, belts are temp/humidity sensative in terms of the sounds they make but they don't wear unevenly like a chain (that's what causes the tight and loose spots.)

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #10 - 10/21/06 at 18:49:13

The problem you guys/gals are having with belt chip can be cured simply by getting a louder pipe! Shocked Grin Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/21/06 at 19:45:58

can't get much too louder than the pipe I have, steelwolf - as it is Kathe hates it! ask thumper clone - he is not happy with chirping noise & has same muffler Smiley

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 10/22/06 at 08:03:47

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The problem you guys/gals are having with belt chip can be cured simply by getting a louder pipe! Shocked Grin Shocked
got the lrg hard crome slash cut, pipe is enuf LOUD and im not takin the baffles out..  live with it ill do as i tweak the darn belt

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/25/06 at 09:03:37

Previous threads on this theme - it could even have been back on Bert's site also suggested two other possibilities foir chirping belts: some belt grease needed (I have none nor have I ever used any so I'm not talking from experience just from memory) or the belt fouling the belt guard and the chirp being produced as the swinging arm moves with the road surface. You'd have to have a dinged belt guard for that one methinks.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #14 - 10/25/06 at 15:28:15

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
can't get much too louder than the pipe I have, steelwolf - as it is Kathe hates it! ask thumper clone - he is not happy with chirping noise & has same muffler Smiley

Gotta loose the baffles. Grin Shocked Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:29:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CHIRPING SOUND

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.