Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Broken solenoid? New '97 (Read 1 times)
phasender
Ex Member

Broken solenoid? New '97
10/18/06 at 17:35:36

I just got my first savage a week ago and, aside from the massive vibrations that's agravating my carpal tunnel, I love it.

The biggest problem is the starter. To start the bike, you have to take off the center seat, find something that I guess is the starting motor, use a screwdriver to connect two posts, and then it starts perfectly fine. It looks like a wire is supposed to go to at least One of the posts. Pressing the starter button does nothing.

The guy told me that it was a broken solenoid, but when I look at the diagram at mrcycle.com, it looks more like the starting motor.

If I just order and replace the starting motor, will that fix it? Will replacing the solenoid fix it? Any suggestions, anyone?

And does anyone know an easy way to reduce the vibrations other than taking off the carb and rejetting it? I'd take off the carb, but I don't have a garage to work in, and it sounds like a pretty intensive job.

Thanks all!

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: Broken solenoid? New '97
Reply #1 - 10/18/06 at 18:41:21

The placement of what you are describing would suggest it is indeed the solenoid. The starter is down low under the carb. By using the screwdriver you are actually bypassing the solenoid to start the engine.

I am a little perplexed about why you think the vibration may be related to the carb though. ??? Vibration is part of a thumper. Try different grips.

If you want to do the carb mods they are really easy. You don't need a garage either. I did mine outside in the yard. Just be sure not to drop any parts in the grass. Pull the bike onto a piece of plywood or a tarp.

WWW   IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/18/06 at 19:29:05

Thanks!

darn, the guy that sold me the bike told me the solenoid was a $30 part. Mrcycle.com wants $130. Can bypassing the solenoid do any damage to anything, or is this a repair that I can put off for a little longer?

As for the vibrations, I guess that's why they call it a "thumper." I've got a pair of summer gel gloves which helps some. I've heard that adjusting the carbs can make the engine run smoother, so maybe I'll try the mod in the spring.

Also, is the thing with two plastic pipes under the seat the air filter? Thanks again

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #3 - 10/18/06 at 19:52:00

By passing the solenoid is really only a PITA. As far as long term effects and damage from starting the bike that way, I don't know of any. I am NOT a mechanic, but I have had my share (and probably someone elses) of cars with crappy solenoids. Here is a parts list for the electrical parts.

The carb mods will help the engine live longer by richening the mix thereby lowering operating temps. Heat = death. Adjusting the carb may help a bit if the bike is running rough, but it will never smooth the engine completely. You only have one piston flopping around down there. There is no other piston to counterbalance the centrifugal force of the single.

I assume you mean by "the two plastic pipes" that you are talking about the two black hoses about the size of pencils. If this is the case then those are vent tubes from the carb. The free ends of these go up inside the hole in the "Y" of the frame. The air filter is behind the right-hand side cover. Take it off, then take the door off of the plastic airbox. The air filter is in there.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 10/18/06 at 20:09:59

Hmmm, I figured he meant the two squarish openings into the top of the airbox under the seat.  If so, that's the snorkel... simply the air intake port(s) for the airbox below it.  The air filter is in the airbox and is accessed behind the right side panel.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 10/19/06 at 07:05:24

check out metricmagic.com  The dude buys about $3500 of parts / month from a dealership and gets huge discounts, and passes them along to you and me.  Just give him the suzuki part #, and a zip code.

Or check ebay.  I have a spare that may or may not work, but I don't really want to get rid of it...

V

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 10/28/06 at 06:36:27

Oops! my applogies...

http://www.metric-magic.com/

V

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 10/28/06 at 11:46:06

Check out the marketplace, Capt-capsize is parting out a Savage and might be able to help you out with a replacement solenoid.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/29/06 at 13:44:54

I'm starting to hate this bike. Every once in a while, it just refuses to start. It usually starts up with no problem, even in the cold, but every once in a while, it'll keep cranking without starting. Sometimes when I turn the key to turn on the bike, nothing happens. No neutral light, no headlight, nothing. Then, if I take out the key and wait a couple minutes before I try again, it usually starts normally, as if nothing had happened.

Today, it gave me a LOT of trouble starting. On one attempt, the green neutral light was on, I put used a screwdriver to connect the posts like I normally do, there was one spark, and the green light went out.

PLEASE tell me that if I replace the solenoid that it will fix all these problems? I don't have much time to work on my bike and I need reliable transportation, so I was thinking about replacing the relay starter motor while I was at it.

I'm very tempted to buy a used solenoid assembly off of ebay, but I'm worried that it might fail on me. Do you think it's worth paying for an OEM part?

I submitted a quote request at metric magic, so we'll see how much he wants for the parts.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 10/29/06 at 15:54:41

OK sounds like frustration is setting in, you have a love/hate thing going on. Undecided. First thing I'd try is to bypass the kickstand safety switch, they are known to cause a lot of problems with starting the bike. If the problem is still there then check the solenoid. Another possible problem is dirty battery terminals or a bad engine ground which would fit the ocassional no juice problem. Try the easy stuff first then check the solenoid. Oh yeah, if bypassing the solenoid kicks the starter over then the starter should be fine,don't mess with it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #10 - 10/29/06 at 17:00:09

I would check your battery charge too.  I thought I had a busted solenoid too because I could hear it clicking when I tried starting.  It gave me all sorts of grief; it wasnt even the same thing that kept happening.  A new battery fixed it all though.  If you know you have a good charge you can at least eliminate that.

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 10/30/06 at 05:04:24

The juice( positive) to the starter relay is comming from the Starter Solenoid Controller. That's the black box just above the carburator. The same box that transmits power to the decompession solenoid.
Suggest to take the plug off and clean it( and reconnect ofcourse)
Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:31:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken solenoid? New '97

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.