Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
It's here, It's on, and It's LOUD! (Read 17 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
It's here, It's on, and It's LOUD!
10/18/06 at 15:45:44

Postman delivered my new exhaust pipe and a Sportster seat a few hours ago.

Of course I couldn't wait to hear the pipe, So...

Man is this baby LOUD! I looked through it, and all it has is a kind of round "snuffer" covering about half the middle, and that is supposed to direct "some" of the exhaust through a baffle pipe with holes, about an inch in diameter less than the outer pipe.

And where the Dyna muffler on an extension didn't backfire any more than the stock can, this thing is sounding like .22s mixed with the occasional 12ga.

I got it to putt around the block without being too annoying by backing the idle mix screw about 1-1/2 out from stock. Still sounded like a cannon when I rolled the throttle off though.

Gonna take some serious jetting to settle this pipe down, but I'm tempted to stick with it and see how civil I can get it to behave. If I can minimize the backfires and short shift through the neighborhoods, I don't mind a bit having the loudness out on the highway or backroads, or interupting those stop light cell phone calls at intersections  Grin

Gonna have to fabricate a bracket, and thinking about taking 3-4 inches off of it (requiring a trip to the muffler shop to get the pipe swedged out).  As long as there is still enough straight pipe to keep my chrome flame heat shield   Smiley

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: It's here, It's on, and It's LOUD!
Reply #1 - 10/18/06 at 17:06:09

Just curious- is swedged a real word.   At least folks willknow when you are ariving. Ride safe.

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/18/06 at 19:34:12

Just checked,Swedge is not a word dangit,I love that word,it's funny it may not be a word but I think every one knows what it means,OK so where did you get it and how much was it,looks very nice,good job.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 10/18/06 at 21:16:19

That is strange I've heard that word used by muffler folks, plumbers, irrigation pipe fixers, mechanics and others. Maybe the dictionary just doesn't have technical words in it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 10/19/06 at 03:47:48

You have to have the "Special Tech Dictionary" in order to read those very special technical terms.

IP Logged
Enfield_fan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/19/06 at 05:19:49

The word is "swaged," guys...and it's a perfectly good word.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 10/19/06 at 10:01:35

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
That is strange I've heard that word used by muffler folks, plumbers, irrigation pipe fixers, mechanics and others. Maybe the dictionary just doesn't have technical words in it. Max

Yeah, like "Fogerty bevel or phreniated plebney".

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 10/19/06 at 11:30:52

Enfield_fan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
The word is "swaged," guys...and it's a perfectly good word.

Right you are, and I should have known better than to use the common shop vernacular. After all, I've "swaged" a few thousand hydraulic hoses in my day. But in the case of a hose, you are crimping the connection smaller, instead of enlarging it like a muffler pipe. Still, the same word applies.

In fact, one might say I was a swagin’ MF’r don’t cha know! Oops, there I go using a vernacular in the place of real words again!   Tongue

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 10/19/06 at 11:36:42

mick wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Just checked,Swedge is not a word dangit,I love that word,it's funny it may not be a word but I think every one knows what it means,OK so where did you get it and how much was it,looks very nice,good job.

Hey Mick, I got the pipe and the Sportster seat from that eBay seller kwik-bay. Gave him $49.99US for the pipe, and $99.95 for the seat. He sent them together, and I should be due some money back on combined shipping charges.

I know that there are cheaper ways to get some of the parts I've bought, but sometimes I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium to have them magically appear on my doorstep  Smiley

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 10/19/06 at 15:17:29

"Swedged" is a perfectly cromulent word!

Good work John!  Don't PO yr neighbors too much... unless...

IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #10 - 10/21/06 at 07:54:35

That truly looks awsome.  Thats a Dyna?  Looks just like the screamin eagle I have been coveting.

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 10/21/06 at 08:48:17

luken wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
That truly looks awsome.  Thats a Dyna?  Looks just like the screamin eagle I have been coveting.  

No, the turn-out is replacing the Dyna:

Which was temporarily fitted with U-bolt clamps just to hear it. I was a little disappointed with how quiet the Dyna was, so I bought the turn-out to try. The turn-out has VERY little baffling and is almost too loud. I'm debating with myself which pipe to keep and tweak the carb to.

Since I bought this bike to customize, I'm leaning towards letting it be louder than my typical tastes dictate.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 10/21/06 at 17:17:50

If you like the turnout muffler the best, but think it is just a bit too loud, you can always add a small baffle in the long neck at the front end.  They are very cheap, easy to install, and can make a noticeable sound difference.  Check www.jirehcycles.com and you will likely find one for $10 or less, + shp of course.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/27/06 at 14:21:07

Haha I remember I bought 2 of those mufflers and put them on my bike.  It was the mysterious one cylinder that kept people guessing.  I do remember it being LOUD as heck.  Its alot of fun being under highway overpasses and letting it echo off other cagers.

Oh those were the days.

IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #14 - 10/28/06 at 23:18:16

One of those would be interesting as a turn down..    Let it rumble off the pavement.

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:20:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It's here, It's on, and It's LOUD!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.