sportster seat mod (Read 2411 times)
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

sportster seat mod
10/16/06 at 08:06:45

this seat was ordered from ebay, as "savage seat conversion" seller is kwikbay, he sells the seat with modification instructions, they probably work just fine, i chose to do it my way.

this bracket is 1" angle iron 8" long, with 1" strap iron ears welded on the ends and bent to pick up the suzuki frame mounts from the origional seat. the ears are drilled and tapped for 1/4"x20 bolts.

the bracket attatches to the seat with four stainless steel screws and a 1/4"x20 bolt.

the regulator requires moving, in order to clear this bracket.

the rear bracket on the harley seat lines up perfectly with the existing hole in the suzuki fender that the taillight wires previously occupied, a 5/16"x18 countersunk bolt and three stainless steel washers occupy the hole now. the wires will be run on top of the fender. the tailight requires a small hole cut into it to clear the rear seat mount, and the tailight pad will need a small notch cut out of it also.

once in place the wires are tucked under the seat, and otherwise not visible.

the stock front suzuki mount may work, i opted to build my own, and perhaps raise the front a bit. it was fabbed from 1" strap iron and drilled to pick up the suzuki mounting holes, i even used the suzuki bolts!

we are pleased with the results, and better yet, debby really likes the WAY MORE comfortable ride.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: sportster seat mod
Reply #1 - 12/31/06 at 08:13:54

Just 2 more pictures of how I made the bracket. Also I moved the rear attachment as far forward as possible.

Hope this will help you do the mod.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 01/05/07 at 09:30:42

Here's my 2 cents on the seat mod.

I didn't like the flexibility of the seat (plastic pan), so my bracket adds stiffness in that area.  
Also, I didn't have to move or remove anything so it's reversable.
What I don't like is that I'm sitting quite a bit higher.

LS 650 Sportster Seat Mod ala Verslagen1

Required ingredients: Suzuki LS650, 27" Sportster Seat, 12x12" Framers Tee bracket, various screws and (2) Ø1/4" x 3/4" Speed Pins.

First bend the bracket to match the frame.

The seat has molded in part number RDW-92/61-0067
Now attach the bracket to the seat.  I used a 1/4-20 bolt and held it inplace with a funky wrench while I tightened it down.
Notice the speed pin for attachment to the frame.
Also, the rear clip is made from the original HD seat front bracket.  Cut one hole off, cut the ramp down and wrap it with some electrical tape to keep it from rattling.

You'll need to bend the stock seat brakets up until they are verticle.  And then drill a 1/4" hole into the frame on each side for the speed pins.

To install: hook the rear tab on the seat to the metal loop and drop the seat until aligned with the seat brackets insert the speed pins, one on each side.

Finito!

« Last Edit: 08/21/11 at 15:14:32 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #3 - 10/08/13 at 05:07:36

Now the Sportster seat is on.
Made the bracket from 4x20mm and 4x40mm. The rear bracket on the fender had to be bent backwards. Rubber is moved from Suzuki seat to the Sportster seat. 8 mm distance it put on the fender on same place the Suzuki rubber rests. At tank the bracket rests on the Suzuki bracket.
Rear lamp has to moved, the wire goes now in the old hole from the last lamp mount hole. New holes had to be drilled.
« Last Edit: 10/08/13 at 07:33:59 by swedishbiker »  

PICT0059.JPG
14365412   IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #4 - 10/08/13 at 05:10:48

And what it look like.
And it rides as a Savage Smiley
And all it takes to make it Suzuki way is, remove two screws and seat, put on Suzuki seat with three screws Smiley
« Last Edit: 10/08/13 at 07:41:45 by swedishbiker »  

PICT0061.JPG
14365412   IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #5 - 10/08/13 at 05:13:00

Other side.

PICT0060.JPG
14365412   IP Logged