Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spark plugs (Read 6 times)
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Spark plugs
10/15/06 at 23:14:24

Can some one tell me where I can buy iridium plugs, I did find a place on line but they wanted over $10 for shipping,is it me or does that seem a little over the top?
$hit ! I could put one in a padded envolope and send it any where in the US for less than $2.
Arent there any automotive stores that sell them?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Spark plugs
Reply #1 - 10/15/06 at 23:29:12

Mick, I bought my iridium plug at Shucks automotive on 181st and stark. Put at least 5,000 miles on the plug. For some reason it felt like my bike ran a bit rough. I think I have better acceration at higher speeds with the stock plug. Give it a try, it was under $10

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/16/06 at 00:01:20

Don't know if they are in your area, but O'Reillys Auto Parts has them up here.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 10/16/06 at 04:49:14

I have an extra one on the shelf, $8 for plug & shp will get it to you.   That is at my cost + shp.  I can put it in the mail today if you can get right back to me.

Just a note to anyone out there, if you need an iridium plug then drop me a line, I will make a list of everyone  and on my next parts order will include them.  It will likely take 10 days to get them in and send them out.
This is at my cost + shp.

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/16/06 at 13:43:09

thanks guys,I found the plugs at "Schucks" for $6.99  Smiley

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #5 - 10/16/06 at 13:51:57

Umm, I was told by the stealership that iridium plugs will not increase performance, and in fact run too hot.
Anyone else hear this?  Undecided

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/16/06 at 14:04:41

Starlifter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Umm, I was told by the stealership that iridium plugs will not increase performance, and in fact run too hot.
Anyone else hear this?  Undecided

I will let you know,just going to give one a try,others on this site are using them,besides I have little faith in whatever a dealer might tell me

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/16/06 at 14:13:56

must admit I did find my bike seemed to run better w/iridium plug - say "must" as sometimes I think when I put something on/in the bike that costs me $ I wonder if it runs better or if it is "just me!" Smiley

still, I've found my bike is becoming a pig to run in mornings (though only about 45 here in morning & bike is garaged) as far as needing choke out for what seems to me an inordinate amount of time/distance (which I know mickthelimey says is not his case with his bike in a much damper clime)

so - next time tank is pulled (unless I figure out other reason for choke needing to be used more) I think I will put former "normal" plug back to see what that does.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 10/16/06 at 14:21:10

i had the i rad for awhile didnt notice any peformance difference went back to stock last service (6k )...next time i pull the tank and if is still sooty(as all have been since new even pre mods) am going to the next hotter ngk plug per owners manual....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 10/16/06 at 15:03:32

Just a note:  the plug that will work best will be DRASTICALLY affected by how lean or rich your bike is set up to run.  Those with intake/exhaust mods will experience much different results than stock bikes.  Drag engines with superchargers and wildly modified exhaust/intakes can't even run with stock plugs and many need recessed plugs to keep the flame front from blowing out...

Depending on mods, altitude, temperature, etc. each bike may be different...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 10/16/06 at 18:19:34

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Just a note:  the plug that will work best will be DRASTICALLY affected by how lean or rich your bike is set up to run.  Those with intake/exhaust mods will experience much different results than stock bikes.  Drag engines with superchargers and wildly modified exhaust/intakes can't even run with stock plugs and many need recessed plugs to keep the flame front from blowing out...

Depending on mods, altitude, temperature, etc. each bike may be different...
I concur..so what is the benifit of the $10 or more I rad plug ?? longivity? me thinks thats the only benny...was in line @ the auto parts store today fellar ahead of me was asking for a differently gapged I rad plug clerk was puzzled, said you dont gap them or you 'll break them...they come pre gapped..
i ve asked for gap specs from auto parts clerks over the years and the most common response was the same , come to think of it suzuki parts guy here told that also..pulled the plug after my last service and it was gapped too small...a properly gapped ngk is my bet...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/16/06 at 18:32:50

Quote:
Anyone else hear this?

I have been using iridums for several years now and am very satisfied with their performance and durability. However, I did have to go to the next colder heat range plug to get rid of a low rpm ping.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 10/17/06 at 23:22:13

I have also been told that the iridium plug is not made for this type of engine. I rode from Portland Or to Illinois with a iridium. bike seemed to run rough a bit. But I thought I felt somewhat more power. I did seem to run hot . In Illinois, I changed back to the stock plug an rode home. It seemed then I had more acceration in 4th and 5th gear and ran cooler and smoother.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 10/18/06 at 06:24:11

I've been pleased with the iridium plug in my Savage.  To my understanding, it's just a more reliable ignition source since it requires less mojo to function effectively.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 10/18/06 at 06:42:22

I like the iridium plug also, enough that I include it in my carb kits.
I find it lasts longer and does produce crisper combustion.  
Hotter?  Maybe.  Perhaps that is why the combustion is crisper.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:23:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spark plugs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.