Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It's good to have a buddy (Read 2 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
It's good to have a buddy
10/15/06 at 21:49:28

Just recently a buddy of mine had his VTX 1300 hit by a cager. (My buddies alright, he was at work and someone ran over his bike while he had it parked.) Anyhow, he used the insurance money to do some remodeling on the bike and he gave me his old exhaust, saddlebags, and crashbar.

I'm gonna use these items to mod my Savage. Anyone know how well of a sound a stock VTX muff will be on a Savage? I'm gonna use the footpegs on the crash bar to replace the front pegs I currently have which are mismatched and not sturdy.

Don't know what I am gonna do with the other muff and pipe or the crash bar itself. Not sure if I can mod the bar to fit.

But it is good to have a buddy who is willing to give you his old in excellant condition parts so you can fix up your own bike.

Now I just need to get my Savage out of hock so I can work on it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Re: It's good to have a buddy
Reply #1 - 10/31/06 at 16:33:07

Can anyone please answer my questions? Even if it's an I don't know?

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/31/06 at 16:45:39

I'd say the reason you haven't gotten an answer is because nobody has slapped a VTX muffler on a Savage.  A lot of this stuff is purely trial and error.  You want a VTX muff on the thumper, then slap one on and see if it works.

This may be the mecca of the Savage world, but even then there is still uncharted waters that someone has to tackle -- might as well be you!  8)

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #3 - 10/31/06 at 22:14:45

Thanks Radio, I'll buy that as an answer.  8)

Now another question though, the saddle bags off of the VTX are the stock ones that were hard mounted to my buddies old bike. (no strap to just hang over seat or under seat) Any idea how to install them on the Savage? They are leather by the way.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 11/01/06 at 03:22:16

You are likely in a situation that most Savage owners are in when it comes to aftermarket parts ... you have to improvise & make it fit.  
I suggest you measure the mounts on the bags, or make a cardboard template, then set that up against the Savage and see where you need to put the mounts, then either make them yourself or have someone make them for you.  It could be as simple as drilling a couple of holes and putting some bolts through, or you may need to make a mounting bar or plate to use in between the bike and the bags.  
It will take some time to do the work but should not be a difficult task.
Keep us posted on your progress, and do include pic's of course.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 11/01/06 at 05:16:15

You may also want to look at some of the other mounts/guards that people have done on the savage to give you some ideas on a starting point. There are pictures around.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 11/01/06 at 15:16:27

Or you could rivet a leather strap between the two bags and mount under or over the seat.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 11/01/06 at 20:16:09

After you get that muffler on and working, record it and email it to me and I'll add it to the sounds in the Tech Ref forum so others will know how it sounds.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 11/02/06 at 10:49:16

Stock Honda exhaust tends to be on the quiet/mellow side. I imagine it should sound pretty sweet - not loud but mellow  Grin

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #9 - 11/03/06 at 15:56:20

I should be getting my bike out of hock in a couple of weeks. Then I will start doing the mods.

I think I have come up with a solution for the saddlebags. (It involves a couple of old leather belts with the buckles still on them)

I will definately take pics of the progress and record the sound of the muf.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:24:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It's good to have a buddy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.