Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Straight or pulled back handlebar (Read 62 times)
xuqiang_liao
Ex Member

Straight or pulled back handlebar
10/15/06 at 10:18:01

I plan to pick up my used bike on next Monday. Went to a Suzuki dealer to see the new S40 on Saturday. They have one in show room for months and yesterday I found they cleared most of the motorcycle space for snowmobile. The S40 is not on the floor any more.

I bought the Clymer repair manul from the store and found there are two handle bar styles. Can anybody comment their like and dislike of each style?

Regards,

Xuqiang Liao

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Re: Straight or pulled back handlebar
Reply #1 - 10/15/06 at 15:02:37

Ni Hao Liao!

There have been several discussions on these Forums regarding the pull-back handle bars vs the flat drag bar set up ... a Search should bring 'em up for you!
If you are buying an S40, then it'll come with the drags, whereas the 2004 & earlier Savage will be equipped with the pull-backs ... excepting 80's vintage LS650's which were available with both types of bars ... and then there are many owners who switch to aftermarket bars ... there are lots of choices!
Though my '03 Savage has the pull-back bars, a Ride this past July on an S40 made me realize that I like the drag-bar set up more ... but it's all personal preference ... as many people seem to prefer the pull-backs as do the drag-bars!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/15/06 at 15:53:49

as PerrydaSavage said it is a matter of personal preference. for instance I took off my pullbacks (have a '96) & put on almost straight bars, no riser, for a lean forward ride (how I like it though know thumper clone who lives nearby says he prefers his  own straights with a riser - he has a 2005-6)

hope the (new for you) Savage works well for you.

this site is great - has lots of tips & is a great place for any advice

I welcome you to it! Grin

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #3 - 10/15/06 at 18:45:36

My 96 had buckhorns when I bought it. I took them off and put on the flat bar with risers. Took them off and put the buckhorns back on with the risers. Took those off and put the flat bar back on without the risers. Now I have taken those off and put on 12" apes without the risers and that's how they're gonna stay now. I love them that way. Grin Other than the apes I found the flat bar without the risers to be the most comfy. But they let the controls hit my tank. Angry

WWW   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/15/06 at 21:36:00

I love my buckhorns.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 10/15/06 at 21:49:50

I've already had three handlebar configurations on my '87 Savage in the few months I've had it... When I picked it up, it had the buckhorns on top of the high risers for the drag bars that were included in the deal. I rode it home with the buckhorns in the tilted forward position the old man had them in, and hated it. Even after trying to adjust the tilt the buckhorns didn't suit me on top of the tall risers (I suspect they would be fine on the short risers they are supposed to be on.)

Then I put on the stock drag bars, and they were a great improvement in position, but were rather narrow and I didn't like the weak leverage I had on the front end. Saw some low (2") rise bars on eBay that only had a very slight and  nearly flat pullback; plus they were 34" wide instead of the 28" of the stock drags. I love these new bars. Riding position is near perfect, and now the steering is almost "twitchy" like a bike with much less rake angle.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #6 - 10/16/06 at 04:01:57

A solution I've employed to "un-tuck" my elbows, which has resulted in greater comfort and much better steering control, is to rotate the buck-horn bars forward a bit, raising the grips higher ... am amazed at how much this simple modification has improved overall Ride-ability! Was going to switch to drags on risers (still may do this eventually ...), but now I'm in no real hurry!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #7 - 10/16/06 at 06:32:40

personal preference! i ride with wide beach bars, but my arms are rather long and my knuckles come very close to dragging on the ground Roll Eyes i replaced the suzuki pullbacks with harley pullbacks on debby's bike, and they are just right for her, just a little wider and flatter angle, much more natural feeling.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 10/16/06 at 10:43:44

36" wide drag bars on pullback risers.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 10/16/06 at 12:34:41

flat bars on stock risers, barely clear tank on a to the stops turn.  along with the solo seat it works great. it's moved me forward making a more of a convential leg position, and allowing me to use the rear pegs as an alternate leg rest position.  l like it.  

bottom line is, it's a matter of preference.  check out a few and go with what you like.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 10/17/06 at 05:00:27

I use some kind of Moto-x bend, 33" wide.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #11 - 10/17/06 at 13:59:59

It's all personal preference...

...I prefer 15" apes.
(except for trying to get it inspected...)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #12 - 10/17/06 at 15:29:17

Librarian!! Man that is a wicked cool Bike ya got there dude ... love what you've done to it!
Any close-up pics?  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
MOPAR
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/19/06 at 17:47:12

Did you two guys with ape bars get your extended cables on line. What all has to be changed to use the high rise bars?
Thanks

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #14 - 10/19/06 at 18:26:27

If I'm not mistaken I think SavageLibrarian got his cables/hoses from Lancer here on the site. I have not purchased new cables or a brake hose as of yet. The stock set was just long enough to work with my 12" bars but they are maxed. So to gain a little more slack I will buying a set from Lancer as well but I'm waiting on the end of riding season.

You'll need longer clutch and throttle cables. A longer brake line and you may need to splice some length into your wiring depending on how high your bars are.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:37:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Straight or pulled back handlebar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.