Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
K & N filters (Read 11 times)
mickthelimey
Ex Member

K & N filters
10/15/06 at 00:07:48

Can any one tell me what type of K& N air filter fits the Savage 2002 ?  part number if you have it,and the best place to purchase one,thanks guys

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: K & N filters
Reply #1 - 10/15/06 at 01:36:35

Here ya go...

http://www.performanceintl.com/shop/products.cgi?comp=kn&make=SUZUKI&model=LS...

I bought mine from these guys earlier this year.  Looks like they've gone up a bit in price, but they were good to deal with.  Go ahead and pick up the recharger kit while you're at it as well.

Hope this helps you!

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 10/15/06 at 08:09:45

I'll confirm that performanceintl.com is a good place to buy the filter.  I ordered by phone because I wasn't sure of the proce.  The call seemed a bit odd - talked to the person about 30 seconds all together. The box showed up a couple of weeks later.

BTW, this is the "drop-in" filter.  Replaces the OEM perfectly.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Martin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/16/06 at 07:58:54

What is the actual improvement in performance (or other benefits) of upgrading from the stock to the K&N filter?

Can you actually notice it, or is it more about feeling good that you give your bike the best.

Thank you,

Martin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 10/16/06 at 10:51:51

Martin wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
What is the actual improvement in performance (or other benefits) of upgrading from the stock to the K&N filter?

Can you actually notice it, or is it more about feeling good that you give your bike the best.

Thank you,

Martin

Better airflow.  In fact, the K&N filter can allow slightly more particulate matter through than the stock paper filter, so "best" is a matter of what you want from yours.  I believe the K&N filters deliver cleaning that is more than adequate (given that they don't void vehicle warranties) and provide better airflow.  That's me.  Check out the K&N site and do some other online searches for more info.  Another advantage is that you never throw it away.  You simply clean and re-oil it on a regular basis.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 10/16/06 at 14:27:47

most all my combustion engines(san mower and edger)
have k&n air filters what sold me was my 97 tacomas' (2.4L  I-4) peformance when towing my 2500# camper trailer in the rockies..cant speak for the ls 650 cause did muff change and carb mods at same time.. i like the fact that they are reusable after cleaning and re oiling...too many things are use once and throw away...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/16/06 at 14:31:02

I use a K & N slot in but when I ran a mine office the rep who collected our vehicle's filters to clean them out (& as it was a coal mine they got really dirty) advised against K & N - said let too much (air) through & can allow grit to come in to carb.

I'm suspicious (& it obvoiusly did not stop me using one in the Savage), but that is what I was told.

can't recall costs - but even if you don't factor in the lives forever factor of a K & N, I seem to recall it did not cost too much more than an oem one -especally considering how many people use/recommend them.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 10/16/06 at 14:56:18

I certainly don't want to "rain on anyones parade".  But the info you received is accurate.  Wetted gauze (think K&N style filter) will allow BIG airflow but also allows BIG dirt particles thru.  Standard paper elements trap small particles but also give small airflow.  The best air filter media currently is foam.  Why you might ask?  Because it allows as much airflow as wetted gauze, but because of its thickness, it will catch as much dirt as a paper pleated filter (and in some cases even smaller dirt particles because it filters better the dirtier it gets).

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/16/06 at 18:18:34

not raining on my parade, barry68v10 -you're just corrobarting what the rep told me.

thanks for info & reasoning.

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/16/06 at 18:44:40

Quote:
I certainly don't want to "rain on anyones parade".  But the info you received is accurate.  Wetted gauze (think K&N style filter) will allow BIG airflow but also allows BIG dirt particles thru.  Standard paper elements trap small particles but also give small airflow.  The best air filter media currently is foam.  Why you might ask?  Because it allows as much airflow as wetted gauze, but because of its thickness, it will catch as much dirt as a paper pleated filter (and in some cases even smaller dirt particles because it filters better the dirtier it gets).

Ditto!  I have been running the UNI foam pod filter # UP-4245 for a couple of years now and am very satisfied with it in all respects.  The filter has a 2 1/2 inch ID and is 4 inches long. I do not know if it will fit a stock carb; I am running an Edlebrock.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 10/17/06 at 11:27:49

Actually, here are some independent tests run by BobIsTheOilGuy.com and the results are what I would expect.  Gauze flowed best and paper filtered best.  Foam filtered only marginally better than gauze and flowed only marginally better than paper.  Take a look and decide for yourself.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #11 - 10/17/06 at 17:04:07

Two VERY important points to note from this test...
#1 the test was only conducted for 500 miles, most filters recommend changes at 7500-25000 miles.
#2 (related to #1) this test does not address dirt holding capacity of the filter media what-so-ever, which is a HUGE factor in the long term performance of a filter.  I know for a fact that foam and gauze filters will filter better as they get dirtier.
Also, if you look closely, 2 of the 3 foam filters flowed within 3% of the K&N filter, yet Bob said they only flowed "marginally better" than paper.  In reality, the Amsoil filter performed within 1.5%.  (Paper flow was within 7% of K&N flow.)

The problems with BOB's test are numerous (I, myself am an Astronautical engineer), but as I've seen even in my own circles, carelessness with test results can lead to drastically different conclusions.

Again, I don't want to "beat BOB up", but anyone ever notice that within 5 minutes after changing the oil in a diesel engine, the oil is black?  Does that mean it needs to be changed immediately?  No, the soot in diesel oil is smaller than 1 micron in size and no threat to the engine whatsoever, but looks pretty disturbing.  Point?  Without analysis of the size of the dirt particles, and test controls over which day was dustier and what kind of dust was encountered, further ?'s arise.

In the end, I agree with SavageRob.  Do some research and decide for yourself.  My own experience and research have indicated to me, that over the life expectancy of an air filter, foam can't be beat.  On the other hand, I agree with Bob...when it comes time to clean the foam or gauze filter, a paper filter looks pretty appealing.   Grin

One thing that has not been researched/tested to my knowledge is: what size dirt particles injested thru the intake cause the majority of engine wear.  (Extensive testing has been done in this area with engine oil, and the answer is 5-25 micron dirt particles account for 50% or more of the engine wear on an internal combustion engine.)

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #12 - 10/18/06 at 09:32:21

Sorry for the wicked noob question but what kind of filter is the K&N.  I just picked up the cone filter and am waiting for it to come in.  This post kinda freaks me out, i dont want to damage my engine.  Is the final concensus on the K&N positive or negative?

Also, slightly unrelated question; I've been waiting for all my parts to come in to transform my sewing machine savage into a bumpin thumpin beast.  How long would it take the average person with minor experience and a Clymer to do the following upgrades?

1) spark plug door
2) K&N cone filter
3) 1/2 spacer mod
4) 152.5/55 pilot switch
5) supertrapp muff
6) fine tune to optimum performance

p.s. does anyone have extra main and pilot jets?

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 10/18/06 at 12:15:52

K&N filters, at least all of them I've seen and used, are oiled cotton gauze inside a steel mesh.  You clean and re-oil them at regular intervals.

Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #14 - 11/06/06 at 08:23:18

Another K&N questions.  I just realized that thier is a difference between the drop in filter vs the cone style filter.  Is their a big difference between these two products?  What offers the best overall filter/flow ratio.  i know the closer you get to one end of the filter/flow spectrum the farther you get from its opposite.  

Thanks.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:37:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › K & N filters

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.