Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil in the Airbox (Read 3 times)
georgekathe
Ex Member

Oil in the Airbox
10/14/06 at 06:58:44

Help -

I have a moppable-up amount of oil in my airbox (I know a small amount can look like a lot in confined places but is/was noticeable - too long to go into & not relevant why I noticed it).

I know/suspect it must have something to do with the breather tube & that the drain pipe plugs have likely not been removed in eons (I have not since I bought it in May & I am going to do this as soon as sent message).

However - should there be a noticeable amount of oil as much as this rather than just a little mixed in with emission gases? (we are talking enough to cover the bottom of the airbox)

If not what is wrong? (bike is running fine except for carb issues)

Lastly - assuming all is OK after I take the drain pipe plugs out, do I have to take airbox out to clean it (I'm lazy), can I leave it as is (mopped up as well as I can reach) or can I just put some solvent in there (gas?) so the oil will run diluted down the drain tubes?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Oil in the Airbox
Reply #1 - 10/14/06 at 07:37:23

First time I pulled the drain tube plugs on the '95 there was quite a lot - couple oz's seemed like and was a bit concerned - but those plugs may have not been out ever - just drain it swap it out from the air cleaner door - bet it doesn't build very fast - drain them when you change the oil

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 10/14/06 at 10:49:48

It's normal Wink Just drain it out once in awhile(EPA requirement Roll Eyes) You don't have to clean out the air box because that oil will return again. I believe the oil there is the one that vaporized from the crankcase vent.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/14/06 at 15:15:07

thanks for response gentlemen - surely was enough oil coming out the tube when I took the plug out (only one though Clymer's diagram showed 2 - other drain hole hole had more like a rubber "nub" held on with a clip covering it - filled with nasty black sedimentr when taken off).

never seen a air box with oil in it like this - must have been years since if it was done (if ever per reelthing).

thanks again for taking time to respond. Smiley

IP Logged
MOPAR
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/14/06 at 16:21:43

I just posted about this subject on tech board. Only all the crankcase oil is being sucked into the box within moments. Just pouring into the airbox. Any idea on this problem?

IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/20/06 at 13:09:42

Crankcase breather plugged - but I can't tell you where that is. That's what it has to be - you have a vacuum at the airbox.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 10/20/06 at 13:38:00

If it's a lot of oil, it's possible the crankcase was overfilled and the oil overflowed through the breather tube into the airbox.  It could even have happened if the bike was on it's side long enough for oil to flow through the breather tube.  However, you don't know when it happened and the oil looks old so I'd basically drain it, clean the airbox, check the oil level and monitor it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 10/20/06 at 18:38:13

Am I missing something ? Whats a drain tube and a drain tube plug ?

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/20/06 at 19:44:18

The drain tube hangs down under the bike directly in front of the rear wheel and has a drain plug in it that you remove to drain the gunk.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/20/06 at 19:45:57

if you have not bought a clymers manual I suggest you do, franch - can't recall what page it is (I am typing later in evenning & manuaul is in garage) - but there is picture of airbox & drain tubes/plugs in manual. "in the flesh" the tubes (or in my case one of them - see my response earlier above about the other "nub/plug" I had on one hole - are tied to frame under the belt.

IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #10 - 10/21/06 at 07:41:20

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
if you have not bought a clymers manual I suggest you do

http://www.campusi.com/bookFind/asp/bookFindPriceLst.asp?prodId=0892879742

Im getting one now.

This one is actually cheapest.

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/suzlssav19.html

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 21:19:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil in the Airbox

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.