Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drive pulley guard screw - broke (Read 2 times)
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Drive pulley guard screw - broke
10/13/06 at 18:04:57

Hi!  The other day I was putting the drive pulley guard back on my bike, and when I tightened the third bolt, it snapped in two.  It was the rearmost bolt of the three.

Questions:  

1.  Are the bolts on the Savage poorly made, and has anyone replaced them with stronger bolts?
I've seen some on Ebay for the savage.  Though I haven't seen them recently.

2.  I bought three replacement bolts (just in case) and found out that the bolts are slightly different lengths.  Anyone know which size goes in which place?  I wouldn't want to snap another bolt simply by trying to put a bolt that's slighly too long into a shorter hole.
I should have left the two bolts in the holes, so they wouldn't get mixed up, but I didn't realize that they were different lengths.  Thought that there was a short one, and two longer, but same length ones???

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: Drive pulley guard screw - broke
Reply #1 - 10/13/06 at 18:29:41

There are three different length screws. 6X45, 6x50 and 6x55. Using a clock guide for the housing the 50 goes at 12, the 55 at 3 and the 45 at 6. Hope that helps. if it doesn't have several beers till it does. Grin

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 10/13/06 at 18:29:46

I'll go out there and pull'um won't take just a second - I did pickup a stainless allen head set for the bike but haven't used them yet - and they're likely softer than the chrome bolts in it - but they don't seem to rust as quick - dang saltw@ter air takes it toll.

beat me to it....

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #3 - 10/14/06 at 12:42:34

Thanks guys!  That info really helps, especially the clock face info for the three bolts!  The ones I ordered should be in early next week, so I'll refer to that post when I install them.

The reason I took off that guard was because a bolt behind had loosened off.  I had used locktight on certain other bolts, but I suppose it would be wise to use them on those ones too.  

It's difficult to know how tight to tighten the bolts, because I usually use a socket wrench, and want the bolts in tight enough so they don't vibrate loose again.  I guess I have to be careful.  That'w why I wondered if the bolts were just made of inferior metal, and were subject to snapping etc.  

Any other suggestions?  

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #4 - 10/14/06 at 13:00:47

Seat bolt has also stripped

Another comment about a bolt - I keep stripping one of the seat bolts.  We've re-threaded it once, but it is stripped again.  Anyone else find the same thing?

Don't know if the seat would fly off if the one bolt is in but just turns and turns - cause the other bolt is fine.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #5 - 10/14/06 at 19:31:26

it would stand to reason, if the little screws in the carb are barely addequate, the rest of the hardware on the bike would be of the same inferior quality. perhaps a nut and bolt, or tapping to the next nearest US std thread may tighten it up.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #6 - 10/16/06 at 06:36:55

Thanks!  We did tap a slightly larger thread into the seat bolt hole that was stripped.  So, I guess we can go larger again - as it's stripped a second time.

Anyway, the drive pulley guards screws that I ordered should be in later today, so I can put it back on the bike.  I was going to ride it without the guard, since it's a nice day - but my daughter has a fever so I'm home instead.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:32:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive pulley guard screw - broke

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.