Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What to do for a used bike (Read 2 times)
xuqiang_liao
Ex Member

What to do for a used bike
10/13/06 at 10:04:31

I am going to pike up my first bike next week. I know the bike has not been used for years and the battery is weak. Other than charging the battery, what should I do. I think I should change the oil. What else.

Regards,

Xuqiang

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: What to do for a used bike
Reply #1 - 10/13/06 at 10:30:49

clean out the carb, new spark plug, fresh gas.  prolly need new tires. change the brake fluid.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 10/13/06 at 10:31:55

And if the battery isn't sealed, check the levels and refill with distilled water if needed... before charging it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #3 - 10/13/06 at 18:49:28

First on my list would be a new battery and a charger. Then change fluids and inspect the tires and barakes for wear and or  dry rot( hairline cracks). Then its a matter of getting the bike running and then creating a starting point for PMS. that would include fresh fuel, fresh air filter new plug and perhaps a carb cleaning. Good luck ask many questions. Someone will know the anwser.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/15/06 at 16:12:52

I agree with everything others have said - here are my expansions/recommendations on their entries -

for the price of a OEM air filter you can almost get a K & N slot in filter  allowing the bike to "breath" more. when you buy a new plug might want to spring the extra few $$ for an iridium one - many use them. when you buy a battery get a sealed maintenance free one (there are links on this site to find out source/type).

tires are again an item best replaced with non OEM ones - much better grip/safer. Metzlers are the best but a bit pricey - Dunlop are good but not so much $$.

if you are changing the brake fluid (really good idea) may want to replace the old brake line (they should be replaced every 4 years per Clymers but doubt everyone does that often) with steel brake line - get better feel/braking power - see technical posting I did on how to do this & a great source.

when you change the oil don't forget a new filter & a new gasket for drain plug (replace every time).

if you need to replace brakes here is another place you can spend no more than for the OEM product & get a much better  one, improving the brakes. I use EBC ones.

you can get all of the above online (save $$) - buy several oil filters & drain plug gaskets @ once to save on shipping.

smart move buying the Clymers (some prefer the Suzuki Workshop Manual) already. That & this site will really help you get the bike running like a top, or at least like the good motorcycle that is the Savage!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:31:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What to do for a used bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.