Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain gone?? (Read 23 times)
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Re: Cam Chain gone??
Reply #15 - 10/15/06 at 23:57:41

Not to rain on the Savage Parade, but the cam-chain is the one nagging weakness that has me wondering if its worth tearing the engine down as "preventive maintenance".... One shouldn't have to do that, especially on an under-stressed engine design like the ls-650 . Just out of sheer paranoia, I'm changing oil every 1000 miles- but that only accounts for the last 3000 miles of 16000. Is there any quick way to gain a peep at the tensioner?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #16 - 10/16/06 at 00:49:53

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
NO, the gear won't clear the clutch basket. So it has to come apart. Use a couple pennys clamped together between the gear teeth so you can loosen the crank shaft nut and please remember it is LH thread, that is righty loosey, lefty tighty just the opposite of normal.

Sorry to correct you Max.

The clutch can stay in place. Only the primairy gear has to be removed.

You're correct about the LH thread of the primairy gear nut.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
keeef
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/16/06 at 05:39:59

I will give it a try and let you all know if the primary gear will come off with clutch in place.

When I have replaced cam chain and beginning re-assembly is there any timing between the primary gear and clutch?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #18 - 10/16/06 at 10:27:41

Ok, I'll have to rethink that. I used an new air gun to remove the crank nut and had it on tighten and fractured the cam chain drive gear so had to do some extra to make sure I didn't ruin anything else. Was going to replace the primary gear and it was on national backorder and none showing on the computer. Had a local aviation outfit do all the non-destructive tests possible to determine it wasn't cracked so reused it.

Using the 2 pennies clamped together between the gears will allow you to use non air tools to R & & the clutch and crank nut. At other times I've used a strap wrench to hold the clutch basket. I now have the Vice Grip based tool that is made to hold all those things and have got great use out of it and used it to hold something else I was fixing that had sproket holes. Either a baler or vehcile A/C clutch.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
keeef
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/16/06 at 23:29:28

Max, can you remember the size of the nut the holds the primary drive gear. I need to order a socket to fit.

Also can you recommend a parts supplier in the USA. I have been quoted around £250 GBP for the cam chain, tensioner, guide and gasket set in the UK which seems quite high to me.

Thanks
Keeef

IP Logged
pittmancharles
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/18/06 at 18:30:13

how much would this cost to do if i took it to a shop?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 10/19/06 at 07:08:17

I think at least a grand.  There were a lot of problems w/ mine besides the ctt when I took mine it, and it was over 1k...  this was years ago, too.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #22 - 10/19/06 at 09:52:32

keeef wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Max, can you remember the size of the nut the holds the primary drive gear. I need to order a socket to fit.

Thanks
Keeef

Are you refering to the nut that holds the belt pulley? If so I believe I used a 32mm socket when replacing my drive belt. If not I'll just shutup for now.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/19/06 at 10:30:58

After my cam chain went and blew my valves it cost me like 1.5k to get it fixed.  OUCH!

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #24 - 10/19/06 at 10:32:07

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Are you refering to the nut that holds the belt pulley? If so I believe I used a 32mm socket when replacing my drive belt. If not I'll just shutup for now.

How the heck do you unbend that little tab that helps hold the drive pulley nut on there?

IP Logged
keeef
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/19/06 at 12:37:14

The primary drive gear couples to the clutch and has the cam chain running underneath and I need the size of socket to undo it (left handed thread I believe). I think its approx 25-26mm.
Once I have removed the gear I can fit a new chain and start reassembly.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #26 - 10/19/06 at 17:01:50

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
How the heck do you unbend that little tab that helps hold the drive pulley nut on there?

I just used a large flathead screwdriver and rubber mallet and whacked it a few times to bend it back straight. Your supposed to replace that locknut but I didn't, I just reused it and bent the tab in a spot that wasn't bent before.

Apparently this nut (32mm belt pulley) is not the one they are refering to in earlier posts. I apologize if I added to any confusion.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #27 - 10/19/06 at 20:49:58

Believe the nut to be 24 mm or 27mm but not sure. I've got a set of deep impact sockets for FWD vehicle drive axle nuts and just used the one that fit.
Regarding the time to repair it, I'm sure the factory provides a warranty flat rate time for the operations needed to do that, you multiply the time by the local labor rate and add whatever fees they charge to get a price. Sometimes when it comes in as a "basket case" it is strictly time and materials as the tech did not take it apart and cannot be sure if all the parts are there or fell out of the "basket" and some shops won't touch what they did not diagnose and disassemble. It is not a hard job, ask lots of questions here and I'll try to think over what I did on mine 4 months. Us retired guys some days have bad CRS disease. I used some soft mechanics wire to pull the chain up from the bottom end and so I could not lose it back down the tunnel while I fussed with the cam gear and insured it was timed correctly. Mine did not break however, just got noisy. As your broke you may find no compression due to bent valves on reassembly. You could check with a cylinder leak tool if you have the piston at TDC dead on so it won't spin and see if the valves are holding tight. Don't even need the tool if you can get an air hold that fits. Techs use air holds to hold the valve closed while they change the valve stem seals wo removing the head(s).   Piston on TDC and the air pressue will hold the valve up while you remove the valve keepers/spring and replace the seal and put it back together and do the next one. Probaly could test it with a cone shaped rubber tip on an air nozzle for that matter. Trick is the piston has to be at TDC and the connecting rod straight up and down the cylinder or it will spin. We used to start our big marine diesels with an air injection system tht was timed to the power stroke. Only took one cylinder or 2 to hit TDC &  fire and it was off and running.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:28:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain gone??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.