Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain gone?? (Read 23 times)
keeef
Ex Member

Cam Chain gone??
10/12/06 at 11:48:17

Savage died on the way home yesterday! Just cut out, no nasty noises or bangs. It is now turning over real fast!
I removed the plug and the valve covers and turned the engine by hand, but the valves are not moving.
Whats the easiest way in to check the chain or tensioner?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Cam Chain gone??
Reply #1 - 10/12/06 at 12:35:38

might as well pull the head cover it's got to come off to replace it any way - hopefully it didn't bend any valves or bark the piston

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 10/12/06 at 17:14:17

A little info please. What year and how many miles? (as he bites his nails in trepidation)

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
keeef
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/12/06 at 23:04:06

Its an '87 with 27000 miles on the clock.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #4 - 10/12/06 at 23:19:16

think that chain went 'bout 10k on borrowed time.

IP Logged
tfrawg75
2005 No Login

that's right  
I  do rock

Reply #5 - 10/13/06 at 07:32:21

I think it depends on how u ride  mine is a 97 with 25000 and has'nt been changed but am going to do it this winter just to avoid any unnecessary damage. Winter is the perfect time for it.  lol

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 10/13/06 at 08:32:12

Seems like I've been hearing they tend to go somewhere between 20k and 30k miles.  Is that about right or is it more like 15k-25k?  25k-30k?  What's the average seem to be?  I'm asking because I'm thinking of picking a point to just replace mine.  I also noted Tfrawg75's comment on thinking it's dependent upon riding style.  Anyone have any comments/thoughts on contributing factors?  To me it seems that using good oil and changing it (and the filter) regularly should contribute to a longer life than it might otherwise have.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 10/13/06 at 08:48:12

Mine went around 16k miles.  I'd been abusing the bike on the highway.  The sucker was eating oil pretty bad, so I'd top it off, and a little over, every 100 miles or so.  If I recall correctly, I was eating/loosing 1/2 qt every 100 miles.  As for the abuse, 70-80 mph, for 6000 miles in six days.

IP Logged
keeef
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/13/06 at 11:41:10

Update.

I took the right side casing off this evening to find the broken chain and tensioner. Have not yet removed the head but need to start making a shopping list.
Apart from the chain and tensioner and gasket set what else should I replace while the engine is apart. I have never attempted this kind of job before so please feel free to offer advice and tips.

Cheers
Keeef

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 10/13/06 at 13:57:28

Oil quality and RPMs are the major contributing wear factors to a cam chain.  

RPMs ARE related to riding style but quick acceleration/deceleration won't have a significant effect if RPMs are kept at a reasonable level.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
tfrawg75
2005 No Login

that's right  
I  do rock

Reply #10 - 10/14/06 at 01:13:07

I agree with what barry says because the majority of my miles came from running 65 on the interstate for 120 miles 4 days a week. I change my oil every couple months which averages out to about every 4000 miles but I don't really get in the throttle that much.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #11 - 10/14/06 at 19:14:55

Back on Bert's Savage fprum the first failure I remember someone talking about was a rider from San Diego who comuted some 2 hours one way each day. HIw went 90,000+ miles. Mine went about 25K miles and I like to lug or thump mine and I think that makes the chain jerk more violently and wears the tensioner more.  I use syn oil and change oil and filter between 2000 and 2500 miles. It isn't the strongest design with the steel plunger wearing on a aluminmu housing at an angle. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
keeef
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/15/06 at 11:18:32

Ok, I have removed head and chain tensioner, guide etc.

Can I remove the primary drive gear without removing the clutch plate assy.

Thanks
Keeef

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #13 - 10/15/06 at 22:29:41

NO, the gear won't clear the clutch basket. So it has to come apart. Use a couple pennys clamped together between the gear teeth so you can loosen the crank shaft nut and please remember it is LH thread, that is righty loosey, lefty tighty just the opposite of normal.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
keeef
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/15/06 at 23:26:00

Thanks Max

Clymer manual says I need special tools to remove clutch which I don't have. Have you tried using impact driver and how about re-fitting and aligning clutch plates.

Thanks
Keeef

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:25:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain gone??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.