Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dyna Muffler Install (Read 40 times)
Yellow96

Dyna Muffler Install
10/11/06 at 19:48:15

I'm looking at Ebay for dyna mufflers and it looks like they all have some kind of paragraph etched on the side that's gonna show when I install.  What do these look like?  I really don't want a bunch of words printed on the outside of my muffler where you can see them.  Am I being too picky here for a 30 dollar ebay buy?  Also, I saw the slotted bracket on the dyna, does that match up with the stock mount or do I need to get an adapter?

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Dyna Muffler Install
Reply #1 - 10/11/06 at 22:45:15

Not ALL of them have the Harley writing on them, but the ones without tend to cost a few dollars more. Personally, I don't want a bunch of crap written on my muffler, and I'm too lazy to go to the trouble to dumpster dive at Harley shops; so I paid a fairly high price on eBay for my Dyna muff so would magically appear on my porch (UPS).

From my research, the Dyna can be directly bolted on, with only a little bit of metal shim between the 1-5/8" O.D. header pipe, and the 1-3/4 I.D. muffler connection.

I've read that the sliding bracket is an easy bolt up, but there are a couple of issues to beware of: Seems there is a short 16" version that has a tendancy to exhaust onto the rear brake rod, and maybe the brake hub itself. I've read that the 19" isn't so bad to do that.

I'm thinking about trying mine without going to the muffler shop for a custom made adapter with a bit of kink in it. Then if I don't like the results, it's simple enough to ride it down to the local muffler shop and do a bit of rework. Might be nice having that Dyna muff a couple of inches farther back anyways. May make covering the ugly part with a chrome dress-up heat shield easier.

I'll be finding out soon, as it is next on my list of 'to do' on the old '87. Frankly, I don't look forward to exhaust work. Would have put it on today, but got into a big mess that the previous owner left the wiring in. Good part though, the Big Crank battery came in, so no more slow cranking and fear of getting stranded.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/12/06 at 00:17:27

The adapter is well worth it.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 10/12/06 at 14:49:55

I noticed JCWhitney has several mufflers.  They have a couple turn-outs for ~$45.  Anybody try these or know anything about them?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #4 - 10/12/06 at 17:14:42

I have a 19" Dyna muffler.  I think it's from a '97 model.

The writing ended up on the bottom side of the muffler, so it's not visible. Since there are two Dyna mufflers per set, I'm not sure if the other one from the set would be turned so that the writing is visible, but I do not think it would be visible.

IIRC, there was only a few inches gap between the muffler and the headpipe when I mounted it as far back as possible. You might be able to get it to fit without an adapter, but you'll only be able to use one bolt.  I wanted to move the muffler back as far as possible and I wanted to use two bolts to mount it, so I needed an adapter to reach the head pipe.  I went to a muffler shop and the made it in a few minutes and only charged $5.

BTW, you might check with the local HD shop.  I picked up a used Dyna muffler in excellent condition for $20.  No shipping costs and instant delivery. Smiley

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #5 - 10/12/06 at 18:51:22

Just got a set from ebay, Steve, can you post the specs you asked for from your muffler shop for the adapter?  I definitely want to use both holes and clear the brake lever.

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #6 - 10/26/06 at 15:42:04

Just got an almost complete dyna Exhuast from Ebay. Its the 19" style with baffles punched out. Probably get some sort of baffle from Jireh[urlhttp://www.jirehmetric.com/servlet/Categories?category=Exhaust [/url] Is a 10 degree bent adapter the right angle? I'm thinking 157.5 main. Maybe pilot jet upgrade.I could use the feed back, I'm still a newbie to the Savage. Going to the Muff shop tomorrow to make an adapter.      

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/26/06 at 15:58:33

Actually mine turned out to be more like a 7-8 degree bend.  Doing that enabled me to use both mounting holes on the muffler bracket.

I run a 150 main and a 52.5 pilot jet and mine purrs like a kitten and gets about 58 mpg.  Depending on your location/altitude, a 157 may be too rich.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #8 - 10/26/06 at 16:27:14

Yellow96 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Just got a set from ebay, Steve, can you post the specs you asked for from your muffler shop for the adapter?  I definitely want to use both holes and clear the brake lever.

No specs, I just mounted the muffler and measured the distance from the head pipe to the muffler. I took both to the muffler shop, laid it out at the measured distance and asked them to make me a pipe to fit between.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #9 - 10/26/06 at 16:37:04

Thanks for the tip 911Radioman. Just did a mock fit and it seems the rear mounting bolt might need some spacers between the bracket and the muff Or i could bend the bracket.  other than that this should be an fairly easy mod. I'll try 152.5 first and see what happens

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/26/06 at 17:22:38

Try rotating the adapter you're getting made, it can change your angles just enough not to need a spacer.  I know that's how mine worked.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/26/06 at 21:26:16

gentlemen - here's a tip or 3 that may have been on the site ot not but I know about them because thumperclone advised me -

a) use hi temp Permatex sealant on both joints between muffler & connector & connector & header.

b) do not run bike or move around for 24 hours to give sealant time to really set.

c) use Harley clamps to eventually clamp the connectors, but in the meantime just put them on the connector & use regular car clamps to clamp down on the joints - they clamp tighter than the Harley ones that may break if overtightened. after 24 hours take off the car clamps & move the Harley clamps into position & clamp them down.

I did not have luck with a HD muffler from local HDstore ("most customers want their old ones when we upgrade") but did get very cheap used (about 11") long heatshield from local old school place that specializes in working on big twins.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/26/06 at 22:15:20

Permatex isn't necessary if you take your muffler with you to the shop and have them flare the pipe to fit the inside of the muffler.  That's how I did it and it works fine -- no Permatex and I used car clamps.  Aftermarket heat shield hides clamps pretty well and I ain't changin' it now!  Grin

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #13 - 10/27/06 at 13:32:12

just finished install followed advise about car clamp and sealer going to the bike shop for some jets. I did start up before doing sealer and was getting some smoke is that a lack of back pressure and being lean? just don't want to finish this up and find that i'm hurting my beast.

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #14 - 10/27/06 at 15:59:10

Ahhh, Just came back from my local MC shop. Guess what the only jets they had in the savages range were 147.5 and 157.5. ???  157.5 is too rich would barely start. probably not worth trying the 147.5 with this free flowing Dyna.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:26:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna Muffler Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.