Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transport a Savage (Read 2 times)
xuqiang_liao
Ex Member

Transport a Savage
10/11/06 at 08:55:25

Dear All,

Does anyone has used a mini-van to transport the Savage. I bought a Savage and would like to use my wife's Dodge mini-van to take the bike home.

Regards,

Xuqiang Liao

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Re: Transport a Savage
Reply #1 - 10/11/06 at 09:27:26

If it will fit, I don't know what the problem would be, but don't tip it so fuel leaks, she might not like that. Do some measuring, it doesn't weigh much until you are pushing it uphill into the back of a vehicle. If you don't have a place to tie it, make a tire cradle out of 2x4's to hold it upright.
One of my exes hauled his bike in the back of his mom's old Plymouth, his buddy rode back there to hold the trunk lid off of it and hold it upright, rode 50 miles that way.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
xuqiang_liao
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/11/06 at 09:40:02

I checked the minivan. The tail gate height is about 40'. I don't know how tall is the bike. I assume I have to remove the windshield but don't know if I need to remove the mirror. Anywhere to get some dimension information about the bike.

Thanks.

Xuqiang Liao

IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #3 - 10/11/06 at 09:45:24

well you could loosen the clamps on the bars if it has regular bars and not straight ones..  Then you could roll them back while you transport it.

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
xuqiang_liao
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/11/06 at 13:27:23

Can you tell me what tools to use to loose the clamp? I think I need to remove the windshield. What tools do you suggest me to bring?

Regards,

Xuqiang

IP Logged
mavrik

Toronto
Reply #5 - 10/11/06 at 14:08:32

Hi: Last time I needed service I used the local cab company to bring my bike home. They use Dodge Caravans that have a wheelchair access ramp, and the roof is cut out and alot higher than normal van for disabled people. No they don't mind moving bikes.

I just sit in the back and make sure Suziq doesn't want to roll over due to all the motion and vibrations Wink

BTW this only works if you live close to the bike shop. Otherwise it's gonna cost you big time. Cheers

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 10/11/06 at 14:32:20

If you're near me I ride can over, you drive me to the shop, I ride back on yours, ride home on mine.

Near, in So.Cal, means within 150 miles.

Would be neat to see how much the same/different two Savages are.

WWW   IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #7 - 10/11/06 at 15:38:50

for $20 you could go to u-haul and get a tow behind trailer or one of there trucks and dont have take anything or worry about anything spilling on the rug

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #8 - 10/11/06 at 16:00:37

It will fit. I hauled my bike from Maine to North Carolina in a Dodge Grand Caravan. The bike is only about 36" tall at the handle bar clamps. I pulled the bike all the way into the van and closed the rear door. I loosened the bar clamps, rolled the bars down and strapped it down good inside with ratchet straps and away we went. For the handle bars you will need a metric (allen) hex wrench. Not sure what size. The windshield hardware will determine what other tools you may need. They are NOT all the same.

FWIW, You may want to take an old bed pillow or quilt to put over the tank. My loading helper scratched mine by not holding the bars straight as we loaded it.

WWW   IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/11/06 at 22:28:36

Why don't you have your wife drop you off ,and ride the bloody thing home

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
xuqiang_liao
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/12/06 at 06:03:05

Firstly, it is 170 miles away. Secondly, the MSF's RiderCourse is my only motorcycle experience. Thirdly, the bike is in the garage for a long time, not suitable for a long ride.

Regards,

Xuqiang

IP Logged
Roadrunner17
YaBB Newbies

We are men of
action.  Lies
do not become us.

VA Chesapeake
Reply #11 - 10/12/06 at 07:10:04

Well, that's 3 good excuses.  Good luck, you'll enjoy it.

Check to see if your van has some attachment points for the ratcheting straps to hold it up and away from the sides.  If so theyll be very helpful.  Otherwise you could rent the flat-bed U-Haul and strap it on there.  It'll be easier to get it in & out, remember that it's approx. 450 lbs, so the less you have to raise/lower it the better.  That trailer should also come with ramps, which will help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:29:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Transport a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.