Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newbie to the club and first overhaul and mods (Read 2 times)
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
newbie to the club and first overhaul and mods
10/11/06 at 05:40:46

Dear all,  I just bought a new LS650 (2006) and decided to try and do the maintenance myself rather than take it into the shop.  I got the service manual (which just came out) and it is suprising how clear the instructions are, especially compared to the one I have for my car, which is almost incomprehensible.  Let me know if you think I am headed down the road for a mechanical disaster or a meaningful maintenance experience.  Any other advice would also be appreciated.  Here are my current mods.

1) removed all the stickers and the cheap plastic "boulevard" stick ons.  That took a lot of gasoline and careful scraping.  It took me almost a month to figure out that my motorcycle was really a "Savage" and not an "S-40 Boulevard."  That is really confusing.
2) installed Saddlebag supports and got some saddlebags
3) got a license plate and a parking permit for my job.
4) broke it in so it doesn't look so new
5) changed the oil but not the filter.  My motorcycle store was out of the savage filters so I have to go back later or order them online.
6) tightened the two exhaust bolts (coming out of the engine) which were loose.
7) starting reading "Zen and the Art of motorcycle maintenance" for inspiration.
Yours, M U

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: newbie to the club and first overhaul and mods
Reply #1 - 10/11/06 at 06:21:11

First of all, welcome.  The bike is an LS650 (the model) regardless of whether it's called as a Savage or S40 (the marketing names).  I'm not sure what you meant by breaking it in so it doesn't look so new but as long as you're happy with the looks, it's all good.  Personally, I'm going for low maintenance flat black and truck bed coating seems to be a great choice to achieve that (that idea thanks to Clueless).  I'll be getting my exhaust ceramic coated sometime also... at least the header anyway.  I always change the filter with the oil.  I usually get about a half dozen at a time to make the shipping cost work out better.  Try RonAyers.com if you haven't already ordered one.  That's where I got my last set.  They are also one of several sites with an online parts fiche catalog.  Don't tighten the header bolts unless the engine is cold and don't overtighten.  That aluminum is soft and could strip easily.  I read Zen and the Art a long time ago and I personally get a lot more enjoyment out of Daniel Meyer's Life Is A Road series.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #2 - 10/11/06 at 10:46:43

Welcome,

Raised seat mod a must.  Sportster seat is better.  You hinder parts will thank you.

Also, carb spacer mod highly recommended.

Then there is the windshield, new muffler, carb rejet, K&N air filter, better shocks... well, the list continues to grow.  Soon as I finish one addon, I find a new one I want to do.

I'm curious about the "broke in" as well.  Heck, if you want a "broke in", I'll trade my "broke in" '95 for your "unbroke" '06!   Grin

Gary

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 10/11/06 at 19:07:09

the 06 has a one piece seat ive looked hard a few times at doin the seat mod on my 06 has anyone done it??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 10/11/06 at 20:10:51

I put the S40 gel seat on my 98 and did the standard seat mod, if that's what you mean.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 10/11/06 at 21:15:42

Welcome aboard Newbie, you are riding the right bike and have found the right website ... good job!   Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:16:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › newbie to the club and first overhaul and mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.