Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ok, what caused this? (Read 2 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Ok, what caused this?
Reply #15 - 10/14/06 at 03:46:04

I agree, gas is the culprit here.  Use some type of quality detergent/solvent in your tank with every fill-up and you shouldn't have this problem again.  I use Amsoil PI which is a carb/injector/valve cleaner in the gas tank of every thing I own.  I would guess that marvel, or one of the products from STP or Mobile would serve the same purpose.

Steelwolf, what brand/weight oil do you use?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 10/14/06 at 13:14:16

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
One thing I can promise you is that it is not old fuel. "Thing" gets a good healthy dose of rubber shaving ride time. I buy fuel at the same place once a week on my way to work. And yes the gas cap is OEM. It was kinda like a graphite powder but harder to get off.

naw, wasn't thinking old gas just the junk they sell as gas - if your forced to use the 10% Eth it washes off any hope of lube effects ... eats rubber and such - tad bit of additive in the tank ever now and then should keep it going

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #17 - 10/14/06 at 16:47:23

My oil this go around is motorcycle specific 20w. Not absolutely sure what brand. I have been experimenting a little with different brands and weights at each oil change. So far the only difference I have seen in any of them is price.

I leaned the mix screw about a 1/4 turn more and so far she has run a little stronger and with a slight increase in gitty-up. But then again it could just be the cooler weather too. "Thing" really likes these cool mornings. Grin Grin Grin Friday morning it was 43* and I hit almost 90mph in 4th gear. Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #18 - 10/14/06 at 16:52:41

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
naw, wasn't thinking old gas just the junk they sell as gas - if your forced to use the 10% Eth it washes off any hope of lube effects ... eats rubber and such - tad bit of additive in the tank ever now and then should keep it going

Luckily we have not been forced into that crappy chemical c0cktail around here. We are still getting good ol' run of the mill push-water.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:38:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ok, what caused this?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.