steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Ok, what caused this?
10/10/06 at 19:18:36

I was headed to work this morning and just outta the blue the Savage will only give me 1/4 throttle. I thought I needed to switch over to reserve but that didn't help. Anyhow, I rode on in to work and thought nothing more of it. Then this evening when I started home It didn't get any better. It ran that way from the shop all the way home. So I check my air filter....clean as a whistle. So I check my spark plug....nice and brown just as it should be. So I check the pilot screw....right where I left it at 2-3/4 turns. That left me only one other place to look.....The Carb. Angry

After taking the top of the carb off I found that the slide was actually stuck to the carb body. I bumped it with a screwdriver handle and it popped loose. When I took it out I found that the slide had what looked to be carbon deposits all over it and the inside of the carb body. I cleaned it up best I could as well as the carb itself. That's when I found that the slide had some shiny places on it where apparently it has been rubbing.

Anyway, why did it get the deposits?

Obviously it stuck due to the deposits. And I suspect that the deposits also caused the scuffing/scratching of the slide.

Next question. How do I prevent it from happening again?

For the record I am still running the stock air filter, 152.5 main, 55 pilot, and an open 1-3/4" straight pipe, with the idle screw out 2-3/4. Also running regular (85 octane) unleaded fuel. The bike runs a tad rich. Not enough to blacken the spark plug though.   ???

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Ok, what caused this?
Reply #1 - 10/10/06 at 19:55:34

get it real clean - i use contact cleaner and an old sock on the slide and the bore - be careful not to have any oil finger prints on it going back in - make sure the air tube is very tight so it can not suck any air, I use silcone grease on the back side on the stock airfilter to make sure it seals good.

on the pm side of things sometimes i pitch a little bit of 2-stroke oil in the tank - 1 oz of castrol tts, some use marvel mystry oil to help lube the slide - do these really help? don't I've done it for a long time on slide carbs - this crap gas we have doesn't help matters either.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #2 - 10/10/06 at 20:02:02

why you say.  well here it is.. everything god makes dies, everything man makes breaks.  Shocked

think about it. it's true.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #3 - 10/10/06 at 20:57:03

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
why you say.  well here it is.. everything god makes dies, everything man makes breaks.  Shocked

think about it. it's true.

A ton of help Sluggo. THNX Grin

WWW   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #4 - 10/10/06 at 21:03:56

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
get it real clean - i use contact cleaner and an old sock on the slide and the bore - be careful not to have any oil finger prints on it going back in - make sure the air tube is very tight so it can not suck any air, I use silcone grease on the back side on the stock airfilter to make sure it seals good.

on the pm side of things sometimes i pitch a little bit of 2-stroke oil in the tank - 1 oz of castrol tts, some use marvel mystry oil to help lube the slide - do these really help? don't I've done it for a long time on slide carbs - this crap gas we have doesn't help matters either.

I cleaned it up good before reinstalling it, but I am still perplexed by where the crap came from. Surely it isn't just the fuel or else I would have some sign of it elsewhere.

Think I'll try the Marvel Mystery Oil. I know it's good stuff. I once used it in the spark plug holes of an old "58 DeSoto Firedome that had seized up from setting for 20+ yrs. Half a can total and 4 and a half days later we took it up the road boiling smoke from the oil burning off of the same 20+ yr. old spark plugs that we took out. What a ride! Grin Shocked Grin

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #5 - 10/10/06 at 21:16:42

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
A ton of help Sluggo. THNX Grin

you know me, big picture guy, broad strokes r us.

feel free to use it if you like.  it's mine, from the mind of sluggo, a scarry place when ya really take a good look at it 8)

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 10/10/06 at 22:17:34

The intake tract pulses when the bike is running even though it is in a vacuum so the slide get pushed back and forth, yours looks pretty good compared to some I've seen. The sticky stuff is fuel that has not gone into the combustion chamber. If you run the intake valves with a tight clearance it will be worse than on the looser end of the range. Also some oil may get down the intake valve guides and be part of the gunk. It will work its way back toward the carb as it is heaver than the air so doesn't turn around and head back down the inlet as fast. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 10/11/06 at 04:01:59

Yep, Sluggo has a handle on things ... it helps all of us sleep a little better at night.    Roll Eyes

A scary mind is a terrible thing to waste.    Shocked  

Rock on dude!  Wink Grin

you know me, big picture guy, broad strokes r us.

feel free to use it if you like.  it's mine, from the mind of sluggo, a scarry place when ya really take a good look at it 8)

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #8 - 10/11/06 at 04:41:50

Grin OH SH!T, we all agree with Sluggo. Now at the risk of sounding like my mother, Lancer I really expected more form you. See what happens when you hang out with deviants. Grin

Thanks guys, really all jokes aside. Max that all makes sense, but other than the suggestions by Reelthing what would you recommend as a preventative measure?

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 10/11/06 at 05:12:10

do you ride in a high dust environment? if so getting a good seal on the intake track is important to these slide carbs - grease the foam on the backside on the filter and tight clamps on the rubber tube.  

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 10/11/06 at 05:45:43

You could use some fuel system cleaner but that's basically what Marvel does.  It's a penetrating oil and solvent and has been used for years as an additive in gasoline and/or oil to help remove sludge/deposits from fuel systems and engines.  For the Savage, a capful in a full tank of gas every now and then is probably not a bad idea and that's what I use.  If you have a vehicle with fuel injectors, it's probably not a good choice.  While on the subject of Marvel; though it's promoted as an oil additive to help clean engine parts and quiet lifters, etc., I would not use it for that unless your engine is older and you suspect it's gunked up.  One other note is that manufacturers of synthetics like Mobil1 advise against using any additives in their oil.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 10/11/06 at 05:51:53

...from the mind of sluggo, a scarry place when ya really take a good look at it

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
A scary mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Though he may have meant scary, he actually used the word scarry.  A scarred mind could well be closer to the truth after all the dumpster duty he's pulled.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 10/11/06 at 19:13:06

from the pics im seenig varnish.. this is from old fuel if it is varnish .. did you buy a tank full for the wrong place??
still haave the locking gas cap??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #13 - 10/11/06 at 20:44:21

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
from the pics im seenig varnish.. this is from old fuel if it is varnish .. did you buy a tank full for the wrong place??
still haave the locking gas cap??

One thing I can promise you is that it is not old fuel. "Thing" gets a good healthy dose of rubber shaving ride time. I buy fuel at the same place once a week on my way to work. And yes the gas cap is OEM. It was kinda like a graphite powder but harder to get off.

WWW   IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/13/06 at 22:26:18

Steelwolf ,I noticed I had the same problem when I took my slide out,I used 600 grit emory paper to clean it off,
it looks like a nice gun metal blue when finished. when I put it all back together my throttle snapped back really smooth ,I don't know why but since I cleaned it I have not had one backfire. good luck,mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:32:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ok, what caused this?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.