Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TDCC - Valve adjustment (Read 4 times)
ohms
Ex Member

TDCC - Valve adjustment
10/09/06 at 10:04:48

How important is it to find exact TDCC. I want to adjust the valves but I dont have access to remove the timing plug as it stuck and the head is all scuffed up. I just plan on jacking up the rear wheel and turning the engine over that way. I know to turn until the exhaust valves open and close and the piston is at the top but how critical is it to get it at exact TDCC?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: TDCC - Valve adjustment
Reply #1 - 10/09/06 at 10:17:49

that should likely work if your at tdc via the piston at the top of the cylinder and the rockers loose - might just want to measure them. are they clicking right now? these engines because they do not have shims get looser over time not tighter as shim'd engines do - so if you can't measure over spec i'd leave them where they are.

IP Logged
ohms
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/09/06 at 10:52:18

They are clicking right now. Quite noisy actually. When i measure the clearance they are in spec. Between .003 and .005. How could they be in spec and so noisy?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 10/09/06 at 11:22:40

reading back through some of the other posts - did this all start after the head cover was removed to fix the leaking oil plug? and before this the valves were much quiter?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 10/09/06 at 12:21:19

When you are looking for TDCC, basically you are looking for the round part of the cam, so being exactly at TDCC is not necessary.  The cam should be round for at least 120 degrees, or so, I believe.

IP Logged
ohms
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/09/06 at 12:58:50

They were always somewhat noisy. Just thought that i should probably get around to checking them. They were noisy before the oil plug fix.

I think im just going to take it to a bike shop and have them remove the timing plug. That way I can be sure im in the right spot.

Thanks guys.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 10/09/06 at 13:04:03

I concur with vroom.  The cam shaft rotates once for every two revolutions of the crank.  Therefore, even the most radical cams made for race-only applications will still leave the intake valve closed for 80-degrees of rotation.  I don't know exact specs of this cam, but I'm sure it's FAR less radical, 120 at least, likely more like 160.

Sum up: you have plenty of slop to find it for valve adjustment.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:32:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › TDCC - Valve adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.