Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
12.5" shocks: 3 lessons learned (pics) (Read 38 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
12.5" shocks: 3 lessons learned (pics)
10/08/06 at 10:48:14

I put 12.5" shocks from a suzuki intruder 800, on my savage, and I like them a lot.  Softer ride and I like the looks, but here are 3 things to watch for.  I imagine these apply to progressive shock upgrade too.

First, you have to grind a little metal off the front of the belt guard, top and bottom both to avoid rubbing.  I also replaced one hex -head engine bolt with a round-head allen bolt at the bottom curve of the front belt pulley.

Second, the oil level site glass reads low because of the tilt of the engine.  Check oil with front wheel on a 3" rise or brick. (Pain in the ...)

Third, I used to get 100 miles before hitting reserve, now I hit it at 85 miles (1.75 gal US).  (ran out twice before figuring that one out).
I may try shortening the on position petc0ck tap to remidy this, as I like 100 mile to reserve.

Anyway, just wanted to point these things out.

I still think it's a worthwhile mod, I like it better anyway.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Re: 12.5" shocks: 3 lessons learned (pics)
Reply #1 - 10/08/06 at 13:18:57

very nice it is something on my winter list to get done Grin

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 10/08/06 at 20:28:43

I did notice the first two items with the exception of the engine bolt.  I don't think anything rubs there on mine.  I modified the top belt guard and removed the bottom one.  I later removed the top one too and haven't missed it at all.  I just use the homemade bike lift/stand from the Tech Ref forum and it makes it easy to check the oil since it raises the front end of the bike.  I did hit reserve once a while back and thought it was early but didn't really think about much at the time since I'd just switched carbs and hadn't tuned it very well yet.  Makes sense with the tilted tank though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 10/09/06 at 06:43:37

Serowbot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
 I imagine these apply to progressive shock upgrade too.

only if you go to the longer length - there are progressive shocks that work far better than stock and keep the bike at it's stock height.

IP Logged
Crobins365
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/14/06 at 16:29:39

Hi, All!
I've been working on my 1992 Kaw 750, and all of my work there is done... hooray  Cheesy, except now I have all these tools and nothing to do. SO I thought I'd start looking at mods on my 2005 Savage.  The stock shocks are rough, and I've been reading everyone's recs for the Progressive 412 series.  But can someone tell me what size (11", 11.5"?) I should be looking at to replace the stock ones? And, per the first email in this thread, with a shorter shock, do I have to shave anything to install them?

Thanks!!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/15/06 at 09:38:10

The length you choose is a personal preference.   12.5" will add about 3" of travel and height to your ride.  Stock length 10.5" progressive's are said to be better, but won't give you any more travel and keep the bike looking stock.  If I could choose, I think 11.5" is a good compromise.  The higher you go the more you should watch for the beltguard clearance issues I mentioned in my original post.  They're no biggie to deal with but don't ignore them.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 10/15/06 at 09:59:26

these are a fine fit and change the stock stance very little both 11" - might want to search the site on these, much written, pictures, and measurements (change the days back on the seach to 800)

412-4232C for a soft ride @90/130lb springs  
412-4233C for a firm ride @115/155lb springs

IP Logged
Crobins365
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/15/06 at 18:48:50

Cool, thanks. So 11" requires no changes around the belt guard, but will improve the ride?  Stock is definitely, um, painful.   Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 10/16/06 at 10:30:48

Crobins365 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Cool, thanks. So 11" requires no changes around the belt guard, but will improve the ride?

Yup.  Stock are 10.5".

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #9 - 10/16/06 at 15:25:20

You know, I was looking at the oil diagram in the tech section and thinking about the effect of 12.5" shocks (thinking about doing that mod myself)...

The oil pickup and the crankshaft are at the front of the engine, so with the front higher than the rear I think you need MORE oil in the crankcase and a higher reading to ensure the same oil level at the pickup and crank.  (since the pickup and crankshaft are the limiting/controlling factors on oil level design.)

Bottom line here:  I think with 12.5" shocks you want the same or more oil in the case, not less as the sight glass would indicate.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 10/16/06 at 19:07:13

Whoa!  I take back what I said earlier.  A raised back will cause more oil to flow to where the pick-up and crank shaft are...in the front.  That might mean you shouldn't even see oil in your sight glass and you should decrease the oil in your crankcase.  For some strange reason I was picturing the other way...the front being higher than normal.  Someone give me a sanity check on this, I've had to use my brain all day today Roll Eyes

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #11 - 10/16/06 at 19:43:30

With my bike pointed up my inclined driveway, my oil level is halfway up the sight glass, w/12.5" shocks. On a level road it's near the bottom, which freaked me out the first time I saw that. Grin Also, 12.5" shocks put your high beam about where your low beam is now, so you'll have to raise it some, (easy, phillips screwdriver) The fork rake is noticeably steeper which sharpens the steering some.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #12 - 10/17/06 at 15:45:32

Babbalou,  my concern is the oil will sit too high at the crank shaft even though it may be reading low at the sight glass.  The long term consequences of a condition like this are catastropic!  If the crankshaft is slapping the oil as it spins it will cause it to foam which will do a number of REALLY BAD THINGS.  First it will dramatically increase the oil pressure inside the crankcase and cause seals to be pushed out and begin to leak.  In addition, foamed oil losses most of its lubricating properties and will cause increased ring/cylinder wall wear and premature bearing failures.  
I may be "mother hen" here but I think this is something worth considering... Undecided

I guess I'm wondering how many of you have been running this mod, and how does engine/seal life stack up to a stock steed...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 08:20:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 12.5" shocks: 3 lessons learned (pics)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.