Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tuning Edelbrock Quiksilver Carb (Read 28 times)
Yellow96

Re: Tuning Edelbrock Quiksilver Carb
Reply #15 - 02/21/07 at 22:00:25

Did you have to replace the intake hose on the filter side?  After taking it apart and back together again I noticed that the hose doesn't reach or fit over the stock airbox outlet.  Looks like the hose should be the same diameter on both ends, but the stock one is smaller on one end.  The small end probably used to go on the carb but it doesn't fit the Edelbrock.  Anyway it is just turned backwards and the big end fits the carb with the smaller end pretty tight but not perfectly sealed on the airbox.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 02/22/07 at 05:36:54

Yellow96 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Did you have to replace the intake hose on the filter side?  After taking it apart and back together again I noticed that the hose doesn't reach or fit over the stock airbox outlet.  Looks like the hose should be the same diameter on both ends, but the stock one is smaller on one end.  The small end probably used to go on the carb but it doesn't fit the Edelbrock.  Anyway it is just turned backwards and the big end fits the carb with the smaller end pretty tight but not perfectly sealed on the airbox.

I think a lot of folks who change carbs use a pod/cone filter instead of the airbox.  I have an Amal Mk2 carb and I bought some flexible ducting (made to replace A/C ducting in cars) from Autozone and it works perfectly.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #17 - 02/22/07 at 11:40:20

Ok, frustration is setting in now.  
Here's how I installed the new needle:

Installed in the slide over spring
Installed needle adjuster pin, threaded side up
Installed the adjuster screw assembly
Turned center screw right until it stopped
Turned center screw left 14 clicks
Bumped up the idle to be sure it was over 1000 RPM

Started adjusting from there.  Never could get a good start and run.  It will start with the choke on but then when I start to turn the choke off, it revs up and then dies.  I tried all the way lean and all the way rich with similar results.  Also started at full rich and bracketted it down 3 or 4 clicks at a time, no dice.  Not sure what's up here, any thoughts?

The old setup had the vaccuum line from the carb to the petc0ck disconected and plugged and the valve in PRI all of the time.  Not sure if that matters or not.

IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #18 - 02/22/07 at 14:25:12

I put the 6-K back in today and is starts and runs fine with the exception of being too rich at wide open.  I was able to tune all of the backfire out but had to go to full rich on the idle mixture to do it.  I'm thinking of trying a 5-K or E, do you think it will matter?  

Maybe this is a problem of filter, carb, muffler combo?
The only other thing I can think of is that this carb can't run on an O needle which is designed for street carbs.  E and Ks are used on ATV carbs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 20:00:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tuning Edelbrock Quiksilver Carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.