Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tuning Edelbrock Quiksilver Carb (Read 28 times)
Yellow96

Tuning Edelbrock Quiksilver Carb
10/07/06 at 04:47:42

Anyone have one of these.  I like the carb but it back fires when I shut-off the bike

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Tuning Edelbrock Quiksilver Carb
Reply #1 - 10/07/06 at 07:52:47

I am assuming that you do not have the instruction booklet that goes with the carb?
It is pretty easy to do.

1.  Select the size needle that will yield the most power/speed at wide open throttle without faltering from a too rich mix ... probably about a #5.  Needles available from Edelbrock for $12.95 the last time I looked.  The K series needles are a little shorter for a quicker profile.  The E series are longer for a bit longer profile.  The regular needle is ... well, regular.

2.  Then adjust the screw (or knob) on top (the needle has 30 click adjustments ... left for lean and right for rich) for the best low/midrange performance.  To make the adjustments the engine must be off, the throttle turned and held in the wide open position, then you can turn the screw L or R.  The setting is referenced by the number of clicks from the seated position, which is all the way to the right.  Backing off by turning to the Left 15 clicks will get you to the middle position.  Whenever a new needle is installed and you have no previous info to work with then start here.

3. After making the adjustment, start and test run the bike.

The Edelbrock carb, when properly adjusted, will absolutely completely eliminate all backfiring.

I may have some info sheets somehwere and if I find them I will pass it along.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 10/07/06 at 09:33:17

How much are these, and how hard are they to put in a savage?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #3 - 10/07/06 at 17:05:17

Mine came with my bike so im not sure on the cost.  I think they're pretty pricey and edlebrock has never marketed them for the savage (according to Edelbrock on a return e-mail).  Ithink they make these still for Harleys.  Mine is more than a few years old so I'm not sure if they are the same still.

IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #4 - 10/07/06 at 17:08:11

Lancer,

So if the thing has been on there for a while and I dont know which needle is in it, is the backfire caused by too rich condition or the wrong needle?  This is really new to me but I'm ready to get into it and get it right.  I do have the manuals being sent from Edelbrock so they might help too.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 10/07/06 at 20:25:17

Backfiring is usually the result of the low throttle range being too lean (pilot circuit on a typical carb), or sometimes due to an air leak in the exhaust system.
The needle size in the Edelbrock is like the main jet size in a typical carb.  That does not affect the backfiring.  It is the adjustment screw which controls the low & mid range, thus the backfiring.  That is like the pilot jet and needle on a typical carb.
If with the needle you have in the carb now, the bike will run wide open with power and NO BOGGING DOWN, then you are not too rich.  Maybe lean, maybe just right, but not rich.  If that is the case, then you just need to adjust the needle.  R for rich, L for lean.  Find the best of the 30 click settings which make the most power/best acceleration and no backfires.

By the way, what muffler are you running?  The Edelbrock will flow a lot of air/fuel, so you need a good flowing muffler for a good match.

IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #6 - 10/07/06 at 21:30:03

Thanks for stickin with me here.  I think I'm catching on.  I have a Jardine muffler, way loud.  I'd like to quiet it down a bit, make it less harsh.  Maybe a Dyna, someone else told me it bolt right up?

So let me give this a shot.  My bike does run wide open fine.  It starts cold with the choke open and a little bit of throttle.  So, I'm gonna give it a click to the right to richen up the low end until is stops backfiring when I shut it down.  Click it, test it, repeat.  As it is now is rarely backfires on the road.  Let me know if I've got this right and I'll get to work.

It still makes me scratch my head to think that this backfire (it's like my bike is telling the whole nieghborhood that I just took out the key) is caused by not enough fuel...I don't get that part.  Also, It only does this after I ride it or it's good and warm.  Just running in the driveway doesn't always do it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 10/08/06 at 11:32:56

Yes, you are thinking correctly.
When adjusting the needle, you can move it 3-4 clicks at a time initially so the process doesn't take a long time ... like you are bracketing it.  When you get the results you want going one way, then back up 2 clicks the other way, then one click back again ... that sort of thing.  That will zero it in for you on the best position.  The last few clicks may take a few trial and errors, until you can hear & feel the difference between the individual clicks, say # 14, 15 or 16 for example.  The changes are subtle from click to click.  That is another reason to use up to 4 clicks at a time initially, it is easier to feel & hear the difference between them.

Regarding the "why lean = backfire" issue ... lean fuel/air mix does not burn as well as a proper mix, sometimes letting unburned fuel out of the cylinder and into the header pipe, pooling there as it were,  which then catches fire moments later and goes "boom"!  Ala BACKFIRE.

IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #8 - 10/13/06 at 15:13:24

Just got the tech manual from Edelbrock!  Love that company.  I guess I'll be tuning this weekend.

IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #9 - 02/07/07 at 09:15:07

Lancer,

I've tuned the carb a bit but now I think I might need a new needle.  I noticed that when I open the throttle all the way the engine boggs down until I back off a little and then it picks back up.  I guess that is a rich condition that is fixed by replacing the needle with a leaner one.  So I have a way lean on idle with a rich on open throttle combo.

Have you put together a good needle, intake, muff combo with the QuikSilver II?  In one of the earlier posts you mentioned a #5 needle but in the book they are numbered 12, 13, 14, 15 and so on.

I have the stock airbox and a dyna muffler.  Not sure which needle is in it now. I read that there are two different needle types.  One is straight cut and the other is curved or spoon shaped.  Any Ideas?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 02/11/07 at 05:44:28

Yellow96 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Lancer,

I've tuned the carb a bit but now I think I might need a new needle.  I noticed that when I open the throttle all the way the engine boggs down until I back off a little and then it picks back up.  I guess that is a rich condition that is fixed by replacing the needle with a leaner one.  So I have a way lean on idle with a rich on open throttle combo.

Have you put together a good needle, intake, muff combo with the QuikSilver II?  In one of the earlier posts you mentioned a #5 needle but in the book they are numbered 12, 13, 14, 15 and so on.

I have the stock airbox and a dyna muffler.  Not sure which needle is in it now. I read that there are two different needle types.  One is straight cut and the other is curved or spoon shaped.  Any Ideas?

I only have a minute before I need to leave for Beverly's grandmothers funeral.  I will get some detail for you later, but for now ...
-you are rich on the high end
-you need a #5 needle (they sent you the booklet for the carbs that go on the Harley's, that is why the numbers start at 12, 13 etc)
-the tuning process is the same, you just need a smaller needle
-all of their needles are flat on one side and rounded on the other.
-some needle sets (same numbers) are shorter and some longer ... makes for a quicker progression from lean to rich with the short ones, while the longer ones take a little longer to get to the same point.  

Call their tech/order line and get a # 5 needle.  If you pull the needle out of the carb now you will find a much bigger one in there for sure.

**The needle size (#'s) controls the max fuel flow ... like a main jet ... while the adjusting knob on top (30 click adjustment) controls the lower range ... like a pilot jet & its' adjusting screw.
Get the right size needle first, you want it sized so that the bike runs great in the full throttle position.  
After that, adjust the knob for the low throttle range (idle to 1/4 throttle).
Then your done.

IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #11 - 02/11/07 at 08:55:38

Lancer,

Thanks for the update, sorry about your family's loss.

I am going to take the one that's in there now and pull it out first and then place the order.  The needle size thing makes sense now, and it doesn't seem too difficult to make the switch.  

Ill let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 02/11/07 at 18:56:21

I am assuming that the "adjusting knob" is on the top of the carb body.  On older models it was considered an optional item, so if it is not on the carb then I would suggest that you get one, it makes tuning MUCH easier...even on the road with the engine running.  It is a bit hard to reach with your fingers with the hot cylinder head right there, but it is possible.  When turning the knob it is RIGHT FOR RICH & LEFT FOR LEAN.
The 30 click adjustment makes for a large range ... worth at least 3 pilot jet sizes on a round slide carb.

Have fun.

IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #13 - 02/12/07 at 17:07:57

Called Edlebrock today and talked to the tech there.  He wanted to know which #5 I wanted.  I took the needle out of the carb I have and it is a 6-K.  He said that was a pretty aggressive grind.  So he says they have a 5-K, 5-E and a 5-O.  Can you tell me which one I'll have better luck with?  I'd like the bike to run well and get the best milage possible with this setup.  Not sure what the difference is between the E and O series.

Great news, I thought I had the stock setup on the airbox.  Looks like the stock box with a K&N filter.  Took that out and cleaned it.  Ill oil it back up tomorrow.  It was pretty dirty.  Any truth to the K&N oil fouling things up in the carb??

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 02/12/07 at 18:39:19

The longest needle would have the most gradual fuel curve and might give a little better milage, but that is just a guess.  Ask the tech about that.
The K is short with a fast fuel curve, and I think the E may be the longest one, with the O being the standard size.  It has been a while and I may have the E & O mixed up.  The longest needle will have the most gradual curve.

I do not think the milage will be very different between the long and short needles unless you get on it hard when accelerating.  If you like to ride fast and hard then the faster response of the short needle may cause you to use a bit more fuel during the acceleration phase, but wide open is wide open, regardless of how many hundreths of a second it took to get there.
I used the K series because of the ever-so-slightly quicker response time at the throttle.  I never paid much attention to the milage, I was having too much fun.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:50:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tuning Edelbrock Quiksilver Carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.