Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Handlebars (Read 3 times)
mavrik

Toronto
Handlebars
10/06/06 at 18:41:10

I notice the older Savages have the monkey bar style. Me I have the straight across style. (sorry i'm a newby)

What's the difference as far as comfort is concerned? is it easier/harder to clutch and brake on monkey/straight
what about turning?

This group is fantastic always get the right answers Cheers Grin  

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Handlebars
Reply #1 - 10/06/06 at 18:55:52

my 06 has the flat bars they are tad short with the drivers backrest i like the reclined position.. its a matter of taste,riding style and  comfort...george just changed  his bars i think on his 96..i sit on his its a lean forward position (havent ridden it) compared to my bars, i dont care for it and i think when he sat on mine he didnt care for the feel... someday im goin to a little more set back than stock... Smiley

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/06/06 at 19:53:42

yeah, mine came with the original "monkey bars" - thumper clone has flat bars with risers - which it looks like you have in the pic.

my bars are almost flat & moderately wide - no risers, as Lon said, leading me to lean forward (I like that style in part from being from London, England).

have read on here many prefer the lean back style, either from the monkey bars as I originally had or from straight(er) bars with risers.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 10/07/06 at 02:48:01

My '03 has the original "buckhorn" style bars which, even with my shorter stature/reach, caused me to have my elbows "tucked in" a wee bit too much ... this had the effect of compromising my cornering abilities ... as I was to learn when this past July I rode a friends '05 with the OEM flat bar/riser combo ... couldn't believe how much easier that Bike was to throw into turns and how much more comfortable it was Riding!

I've since adjusted my buckhorn bars for more forward reach by loosening the clamps and rotating them so the grips are higher (of course I re-tightened the clamps after doing this  Wink ) ... and it has made a world of difference in the way the Bike handles and improved my cornering immensely! A bonus, is that the Bike looks cooler now too ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #4 - 10/07/06 at 06:22:00

thumper is an o4, i swapped out to flat bars, no riser, what a difference it made, for me.  the solo seat sits lower and forward of the stock seat. i have a slight lean forward,so it places the front pegs in a more tradional position. i also use the back pegs as an alternate foot position.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 10/07/06 at 06:45:01

NOT being a canyon carver, at 5'10" and shrinking CheesyI find my buckhorns let the controls fall exactly where my hands want to be. Again, I ride with a windshield so I prefer the more "upright" position..   Sans windshield, a slight forward lean allows the wind blast to support and makes flicking the bike quicker, makin flatter bars more enjoyable.  (tried a friend's sportbike to compare)..

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 10/07/06 at 18:00:09

I think the 86-87 models came with either and the subsequent Savages came with buckhorns until just a few years ago.  I'm not sure if it was at the time of renaming them to S40 that they changed them or if it was a year or two prior.  I personally think the smaller flat bars are less comfortable than the buckhorns but I love my 36" drag bars on pullback risers.  It's always a matter of individual taste and personal comfort though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #7 - 10/07/06 at 20:54:17

I have a 95 with buckhorns.  I turned them up a little and are just right for me.  I've tried the new flat bars that are coming with cruisers now.  Personally, I like the smaller buckhorns.  I really like the look and the style gives you a lot more room to turn them up or down to get the height right.  Turning flat bars up or down makes them look funny (imho).

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 10/07/06 at 21:17:35

I too just loosened the clamps/risers/ rolled the buckhorns foreward so that the grips are allmost parrallel to the ground and it made a huge difference. I can stretch out my arms and lean slightly back or just have a small elbow bend and sit upright. the bike takes the curves much better without my arms tucked in and I agree with Perrydasavage, It makes the bike look better.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #9 - 10/08/06 at 03:41:49

Don't know how you call the type of bar on my bike.
I like the setup so far for the last 3000KM I have been riding it.

BTW the RPM indicator is from Byron

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:25:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.