Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should I buy now? (Read 2 times)
Sweet_Pea
Ex Member

Should I buy now?
10/06/06 at 09:37:15

Hi, I just got my license early Sept.  I found a used savage 2003 with 2500 miles on it.  The person is asking $3,200 for it.  I am trying to decide if I should buy now or wait until spring.  I am just not sure how much riding I will get in this year as I live in NY.   I am also not willing to ride along yet, so unless we get a heat wave I am afraid I won’t get to ride this season.  Also anyone out there who can tell me if this sounds like an OK deal?  

I have been reading a lot of postings on this bike and it sounds like a good first bike, anyone disagree?

Thanks
Sweet Pea

IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Re: Should I buy now?
Reply #1 - 10/06/06 at 10:04:00

The price seems a little steep to me.  I have seen '02s with the same mileage for 1k less.  

Have you checked bluebook?

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
Dragon King

IL
Reply #2 - 10/06/06 at 11:58:13

new york is high blue book times 2 is there prices on everything.   by the way sweet_pea what part of New York

I refuse to tiptoe through life...
Only to arrive safely at Death.
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/06/06 at 12:12:33

seems a little pricey to me too. other thing to think about is that we are coming into the non-riding season where you are (though know others may say they could/would ride all year).

as a result, it is really a buyer's market where you live until the Spring & if you do wish to buy it now it should be @ a lesser price than normal/the Spring/Summer, not what luken believes to be, if not overpriced, then certainly top price (though like I said it seems a bit high, too).

check the Kelly Blue Book value site on the web (can't recall its exact address but you can Google it). bear in mind these are prices to expect to buy from/sell to/trade in to a dealer but nevertheless give you a good comparable idea of value in absence of a load of bikes for sale to compare prices such as HD sportsters, which you see in papers for sale all the time.

great first bike - enough power, light, manoeverable, etc., Sweet Pea. Kathe took to it in a way I can't imagine she would have done with any other more unweildy/heavier machine. also if you like doing some work on bikes (to me part of fun owning one) it is easy to "hop up" when you want to modify it - lots of help on this site.

good luck riding - you have started on one of the most enjoyable stages in your life - one that hopefully will last for years.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 10/06/06 at 12:57:08

+1 on Savage's being a good first MC and that $3,200 is too high for a 2003 unless you are in a hurry.

IP Logged
luken

Mesa, az
Reply #5 - 10/06/06 at 13:29:46

Ya I didn't think about riding season.  It's always riding season in Arizona  8)

Black 02, 55 pilot 155 main, 1/2 spacer, seat mod, sporty muff, air pod.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 10/06/06 at 13:41:36

find the machine you want (any) get the money together cash 100 dollar bills. lay the amount YOU want to pay on the seat. then say, that's it, take it or leave it.  do be perpared to put the money back in pocket and walk away.  by the time you make it to the car, seller will change mind and do the deal.  now don't go in trying to get a lowball price, go for a "fair" price.  

it's amazing what the sight of cash will do. if the seller is like most human beings he'll take the cash and tell spouse it was a couple hundred less than it actually was.  yes i'm painting the human race with a broad brush, but wasn't it michael douglas who said in the 80;s  greed is good, look what that has led to.  enron,tyco,h.p.  the list goes on and on.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
rich1959
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/06/06 at 13:58:39

Agreed, too high. I paid about that for an 05 with similar mileage.

Rich

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/06/06 at 14:37:38

I got my 2002 for $2700, with 6000 miles on it,the guy wanted 3000 ,I low balled him with a 2500 offer ,we went back and forth,I wound up with the bike and a helmet ,2 extra mufflers ,saddle bags and new wind shield,I think I did ok Grin Oh ! and a repair manual.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #9 - 10/06/06 at 15:07:17

Save a thousand more and buy new rather than buying used at such a high price. There are cheaper bikes available and probably with fewer miles and quite possibly newer bikes as well. Waiting to find just the right bike seldom turn out to be wrong.

WWW   IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #10 - 10/06/06 at 15:55:49

IMHO, around $1000 too high for an excellent commuter bike. make a counter offer in cash.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Sweet_Pea
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/06/06 at 18:34:20

Hey everyone,  Thanks for the great info,  I did go on kellyblue book site  but the savage is not listed for the year 2003, it is listed for the year 2002 and the retail is only 2575.00  Could she be mistaken aobut the year of the bike?  She also said she was the 2nd owner, maybe she go snowed!!!  

I live in Salt Point NY, near Poughkeepsie.  So I would be able to ride a little more this year but not much.

Thanks again, I love this site...
Sweet Pea

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 10/06/06 at 18:37:15

got my 06 for 1k more 0 miles,sport shield, light visors,back rest, luggage rack,engine guard....check the marketplace this site rent a trailer and save some $$ title xfer in your state may be cost prohivitive..
im on the west slope in colorado got mine in feb..ride most days cept when the roads are icey...here lately dont like ridin on wet roads cause i cant stand her to be dirty...takes two hours of massage to get her lookin primp again....if you find a good deal you can always store it and stare at it like alot of us do(see addiction post) you can get a much better deal so be patient( easy to say tough to do!!) Roll Eyes

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:36:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Should I buy now?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.