Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carburetor Jets (Read 6 times)
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Carburetor Jets
10/02/06 at 20:02:32

I have a 97 Savage. Trying to fix the backfiring. I am upgrading to a K &N Air Filter (Drop In). Stock muffler. May upgrade to a Hard Krome when Lance gets some new ones. I run Premium gas.

What kind of carb do I have? What jets should I buy? Where can I buy them online?  Any Suggestions???

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Carburetor Jets
Reply #1 - 10/02/06 at 20:37:55

Your carb is a Mikuni BS40. You can order the jets through any dealer & Parts Unlimited (distributor for dealers). Just ask your partsman at the dealer for large round Mikuni jets.

You must decide what sizes based on posts here. Do a search or ask for owners of similarly modded Savages for their recommendations.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/02/06 at 23:32:18

georgiaredhead - don't know if you are from the Peach state or where but one thing to take into account with advice about size of jets from other folk out there & what they use is what seal level they are at (like I'm @ 4200-4400 feet). understand this has a bearing on jet sizes, etc.

also, though again those more carb savvy than I could confirm, I understand each bike is a little different so what works in Joe's bike just down the street may not work in yours. I'm sure others can confirm this.

Think you can take others advice + what is on the site here & use it as a springboard for your experimenting, so it is certainly worth reading all you can on it here & take all advice you can get (like I did/do).

lastly, though know you can read this elsewhere a zillion times, maybe I'm the first to say - once you get the durn screws out of the carb (see a loooong ongoing link on this) be sure to replace with stainless steel allen head ones (I love this site for the small tips I've read like that!)

good luck with carb work!Smiley

IP Logged
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/03/06 at 03:42:19

Ok Large Round. Good, I want an assortment of jets just to try em all out.  I am from the peach state and I have read alot on the sea level stuff.  What size are the screws? I work with a large assortment of stainless steel screws available.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 10/03/06 at 13:18:03

Don't run premium.  These bikes aren't designed for it, and don't need it.  If you ever end up with a high compression piston in there, then run premium.  I run the lowest grade I can find (85).

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/03/06 at 14:28:53

sorry don't know size of screws - someone (hopefully someone who reads this) on site had several sets to sell - that's where I got them - think he bought them from local Ace Hardware in his town (not one in this place).

I know thumperclone bought from him too & know he reads this site avidly so he might recall source (unlike me). he told me local True Value here did not have them & even the store specializing in fasteners here (a national chain I think) could only order them (who wants to have the carb apart while you wait for someone to match your parts & get them via mail - @ least with guy I bought from I could wait until they arrived to attack the carb).

good luck with your work,  Smiley

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #6 - 10/03/06 at 15:46:30

georgiaredhead2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Ok Large Round. Good, I want an assortment of jets just to try em all out.  I am from the peach state and I have read alot on the sea level stuff.  What size are the screws? I work with a large assortment of stainless steel screws available.

seems they are 4 or 5mm.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/03/06 at 16:26:04

likely you have seen  it by now, but see today's entry for SS screws for link to size & more sources. must say my local True Value was no good for source so guess inventory depends greatly from town to town.

Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 10/04/06 at 10:59:20

My local Ace Hardware has been an excellent source.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/04/06 at 15:24:26

boo hoo - don't have an Ace (hardware) in our town but think True Value is comparable so surprised they don't have carb screws & other stuff I've wanted (not necessarily for Savage). Don't think it is just size of town (bit over 40,000 population, but  there's another 60,000 in nearby areas)

IP Logged
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/04/06 at 16:32:04

Ok, So no premium gas??? Why??? I always thought it was better.  Ok so the Stainlesss Steel Screws are 4mm or 5mm. I hope I can find some at the Home Depot.  I will try more to find the jets. Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/04/06 at 19:34:57

here's a bit more help for you, georgiaredhead - checked other entry & went to link from there.

could not figure out how to attach to this message so did it old way (wrote it on a bit of paper & typed it in here!) -

screws are M5 X 12 mm 0.8 thread top of carb, M5 X 15 mm 0.8 thread for bottom.

save you buying uneeded 4 mm ones.

hope carb work goes well for you.

Smiley

IP Logged
georgiaredhead2002
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/09/06 at 17:43:59

No Luck On The finding the jets anywhere online. I work so much I can't make it to the nearest dealership. Stainless Steel is hard to find- Lowes had alot of stuff but just not the socket head allen types. I will just have to buy them online as well. I seen a guy one time with hole Stainless steel screw sets. Anyone know if he is steel around?

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #13 - 10/09/06 at 17:58:23

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 10/09/06 at 18:49:50

georgiaredhead2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
No Luck On The finding the jets anywhere online. I work so much I can't make it to the nearest dealership. Stainless Steel is hard to find- Lowes had alot of stuff but just not the socket head allen types. I will just have to buy them online as well. I seen a guy one time with hole Stainless steel screw sets. Anyone know if he is steel around?

my have the screws and jet's in the garage - what sizes are you wanting ?

by the way premium gas helps prevent pre-ignition cause by higher compression as well as heat - here I use it because of the heat.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:31:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Jets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.