Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
oil cooler/external oil filter (Read 33 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
oil cooler/external oil filter
09/29/06 at 15:12:05

Hey guys, not being familiar with the LS 650 oil system I've got a dilemma.  I want to put on an oil cooler and external oil filter and eliminate the stock oil filter, but...

I'm concerned an oil cooler will rob some oil pressure from the system and cause "top end oiling problems."  Also, if I take out the stock oil filter for an external spin-on type, will that alter the oil flow within the block?

Anyone have any info/advise here?

Thanks

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: oil cooler/external oil filter
Reply #1 - 09/29/06 at 15:17:18

BTW, thanks lancer for the pictures of the oil system...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 09/29/06 at 15:48:55

Check out what Ed_L did.   Use search feature, or click on his profile and look for all posts by this user.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 09/29/06 at 16:57:40

Wow!  Suzuki sure did an efficient job of rendering the return line unusable!  That thing is completely centered on the frame bolt with just enough room that you have to pull the engine from the frame to thread anything into that port.  

I guess going thru the oil filter cavity is really the only viable option.  Guess that's why Ed_L did it that way.

Any innovative ways to get to the oil return port in lancers oil passage post?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 09/29/06 at 18:58:38

I took a long look at Lancers idea for an oil cooler/filter and came to the same conclusion, there is no way to access the bolt hole for the return line. Too bad cause it would be the easiest way to go. So far my mod is working fine, the cooler is getting hot within the first two or three miles so it must be getting a good flow thru it. Drilling and tapping the return line in the side cover was the simplest solution to the problem. I've convinced myself that it doesn't look too bad, course I believe in function over looks.  The next step is to plug the oil line going to the oil filter cavity. This will force all the oil thru the cooler. The easiest way to do this would be to make a plug out of the head and shaft of a bolt that fits into the oil port that goes to the oil filter cavity. If the head of the bolt is ground down the edge of the oil filter will keep it in place, simple and effective, beats trying to tap the hole. I don't plan to do that since I was only interested in a cooler but it would be needed for a remote filter setup.
  The other option would be to do away with the oil filter cover and tap the two oil line holes, then you could run any fittings you wanted for a filter/cooler setup. Now that would look and be real different but I'm not sure how much metal is there for tapping. Got to hand it to Suzuki, they really didn't make installing aftermarket parts easy on the Savage. Undecided
 Let me know if you need a oil plug modified into a hose fitting, they are kind of fun to make.  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 09/29/06 at 19:32:04

in the service manual on the page b-4 the oil path diagram there is a "lubrication system chart"maybe laner could post that page also(i would but have no flat
bed scanner)that may help you decide what path to use..the front plug is where you take pressure tests
spec is with oil temp @ 140 f  above 7.1psi  below10.7 psi.. i have a horz. cyl. thumper the oil cooler for it tyes into the side cover at the cam shaft..
on the ls id think the optium would be feed the cooler and or external filter from the front plug(from the sump) and return up the bottom plug (flows to the stock filter) one would /should plug the  short passage between the two...
imo id rather just find a oil temp gauge and install the sender in the front plug....even in this upland desert
bike will stay cool e nuf ala oil flows, & idle speed is  between 1000 and 1200rpm...sometimes those LOONNGG
stop lites in the summer gets me thinkin but a cooler wouldnt help while stopped  xcept for the increase  in volume..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/29/06 at 21:42:29

if you want to bring service manual over to our place you can use Kathe's scanner, thumperclone - give us a call or e-mail us - same with anything you want to scan, of course, Suzuki related or whatever, Lon

george

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 09/30/06 at 02:19:40

Thanks Ed_L, thought about the options you mentioned but am trying not to stray too far from a "stock-look" although like you I'm more of a function than form guy.  I shouldn't have any problems finding a nipple that will thread in.  I ran into a similar problem when I installed a bypass oil filter system on my dad's Duramax Diesel.  I discovered hydrolic and pnuematic fittings come in lots of odd shapes and sizes and will readily flow oil just like any other fluid (including air).  Since they are all made of brass, heat, corrosion, etc. aren't issues.
Thanks for the offer Ed_L.
Actually now that I've taken another hard look at the oil diagram, I've concluded that not blocking that short passage with an oil cooler installed, you have likely INCREASED oil flow to the top of the cylinder head.

I'm committed to the mod, I've ordered a frame rail transmission cooler to cool the oil and it has a magnetic internal filter so I'm abandoning the external oil filter idea.  (Plus I couldn't find a good place to mount one.)

Once I get the project underway, I'll try to figure out how to post the pictures.  I'm much better with mechanical things than computers.  Smiley

Thumperclone, we agree with your assessment of the "best path."  Problem is, there's only about 1 inch of clearance between that bottom bolt and a large frame crossmember and bolt.  So it's tucked in neatly...  I suspect the bolt that's in there won't even thread all the way out without removing the engine but I'll find out for sure next weekend when I start to tear into it. Undecided

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 09/30/06 at 07:43:31

Sounds like a good plan, the threads on the bolt are the hardest to match up, if you find a supplier that has the right fittings let us all know. Good luck with it, can't wait for the pictures.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 09/30/06 at 07:47:14

my first self oil change i wrongly pulled that plug..a banjo fitting(like on the front brake line)ought to work i know its tite ..if not a banjo then a straight nipple to clear the frame then a 90 barb fitting  this is a low pressure system as long as all passages are clear.. cant find the sizes of these two plugs  ed has the front ones size any one know the bottom??saw in one of the cataloges an auto bypass valve , has four fittings and is temp sensitive anything less than 50 F and the cooler is bypassed..if the extenal filter is wanted w/ cooling there are cooling fins that attach to the outside of the filter..
i have a magnetic drain plug (web address listed here somewhere)it works great amazing amount of small particles at every oil change..keep us posted.. 8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 09/30/06 at 14:16:37

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #11 - 09/30/06 at 17:42:37

UPDATE:  I've located the right part...It's a JIC 6 thread aka. 9/16 UNF 18 TPI.  You can find it anyplace that sells JIC brass fittings.  I'm about to go get some for myself, let me know if anyone else is interested and I'll pick-up enough for all of us. Cheesy

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #12 - 09/30/06 at 17:44:27

Shocked
OOOPPPSSS, forgot to mention that its also known as 3/8" JIC and will fit 3/8 inch high pressure hose.  Anybody confused yet?   Wink

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #13 - 10/01/06 at 06:43:17

Here's the list of parts I ordered from summitracing.com to complete my project.  I already had a -6 AN hose barb to female -6 AN fitting.  This will also fit 11/32 or 3/8 hose:

SUM-220632B Fitting, Coupler, Straight, Male -6 AN to Male -6 AN, Aluminum, Black Hard Anodized

SUM-220646 Fitting, Straight, -6 AN Male to 1/8 in. NPT Male, Aluminum, Blue

SUM-220711 Fitting, Hose End, 90 Degree, -6 AN Hose Barb to Female -6 AN, Aluminum, Red/Blue

Ed_L apparently tapped a 1/4" NPT into the oil filter cavity, I'm planning on using a 1/8" NPT since AN fittings out flow brass NPT fittings.

BTW, -6 AN = JIC 6.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #14 - 10/01/06 at 15:50:12

Yea, I used a 1/4 inch NPT as the return line. The ID was close to the size of the port feeding the oil filter cavity and I also had a tap handy. I also drilled out the passages in the elbow past the threads. The holes were smaller where they met in the fitting but there was enought metal so I was able to open it up with a 3/8 drill. My main worry was restricting the oil flow thru the fittings. Think it is great you found the fittings for the job Grin, had no luck when I was looking. Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:26:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil cooler/external oil filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.