Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
oil cooler/external oil filter (Read 33 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: oil cooler/external oil filter
Reply #15 - 10/01/06 at 16:04:43

The way I did it will be much more expensive, I spent $20 on the fittings.  Could have done it cheaper with JIC one piece fittings but wasn't sure how a 90 degree would fit into the top, considering you had to create some space with your setup.  For cost to benefit, your mod rocks!  One reason I went with AN fittings was I may upgrade to aluminum tube all the way thru.  There were a few online suppliers that would sell the JIC 6 to hose barb fittings, but I would have had to buy a boat load of them.

I'm also considering installing a 7" fan hooked to an oil temp switch but I'm wondering if that's overkill... Undecided

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #16 - 10/02/06 at 03:58:28

You can find just about anything you want pretty cheap online at fittingsandadapters.com.  If you prefer AN setups with stainless steel or aluminum lines I recommend summitracing.com.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #17 - 10/02/06 at 07:40:18

if you guys keep this up, you're going to have me doing the oil cooler mod too! Grin it was 118* in july, i'm sure the bike would have appreciated an oil cooler!

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #18 - 10/07/06 at 15:36:50

Hey, sorry all.  My oil cooler didn't come in.  JCWhitney says it's on backorder until 29 Oct.  Guess I should have ordered everything from Summitracing.  The cooler was only $2 more from them.  Oh well, it'll get pics/give updates when the cooler gets here.  It's been raining here all day, great day to do some wrenching...oh, well.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #19 - 10/08/06 at 16:52:43

got my cooler core mounted today went to the hdwre store no luck on fittings.. theres a hydraulic shop up the street will try to see him tommorow..had the cooler  on my thumperclone(chinesse ct 70)its billet aluminum from ada racing, was just lyin round since i pulled the race engine out of the ct ..p.s.  got to the return plug just 2 nuts that hold rear brake pedal assy,heat shield, engine mount..the two plugs have the same head 17 mm but the stem is smaller on the bottom one..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #20 - 10/09/06 at 04:49:13

Thumperclone, how'd you move the frame rail piece that the bolt runs though?  The motor/tranny is bolted to the frame in 4 spots including the top of the cylinder.  I thought that piece of frame was welded...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #21 - 10/09/06 at 07:08:05

barry,
i didnt "move the frame rail piece..2 acorn type nuts hold the brake assy,and heat shield..brake cable and switch cable come with it, used an open end wrench to remove plug have yet to get fitting have about an inch of clearance to top of frame from bottom of eng case where plug inserts..thinkin a banjo fitting will work..
you are correct those acorn nuts are on engine mounting bolts but did not remove them...

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #22 - 10/09/06 at 15:40:16

Oh, sorry thumperclone, I misunderstood.  I got that bolt out from the front without taking anything off, but the banjo fitting I had wouldn't fit into that space in order to be able to thread it in.  Maybe a cut down one would work?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #23 - 10/09/06 at 16:34:32

my thoughts also barry..since stock plug is shorter and smaller than front plug...hopefully can find one that doesnt need mods..

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #24 - 10/14/06 at 16:58:18

For those of you with an oil cooler, this should help...
You can and should check your oil level WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING.  While idling, just make sure the oil level is EVEN with the bottom line on the sight glass.  This assumes the engine has been running long enough for all the oil passages to be filled with oil including the oil cooler and any other external oil filled accessories...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #25 - 10/15/06 at 11:06:28

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
For those of you with an oil cooler, this should help...
You can and should check your oil level WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING.  While idling, just make sure the oil level is EVEN with the bottom line on the sight glass.  This assumes the engine has been running long enough for all the oil passages to be filled with oil including the oil cooler and any other external oil filled accessories...
does this mean your install is complete??

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #26 - 10/15/06 at 14:00:00

Not yet, I was doing some "experimenting" over the weekend, but I'm still waiting on my frame rail cooler to arrive Sad  
I was testing to see whether I'd have to install a shut-off to keep the oil in the cooler from running back into the sump.  I've decided to skip the ballvalve install to keep the connections to a minimum.
I'll have my wife take pictures when the time comes and have her post them for me... Embarrassed

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #27 - 10/15/06 at 15:55:09

I've been clamping the "to the oil cooler" oil line while the bike is running and then shutting the bike off. It works fine cause I never blocked off the internal oil line. I'll check the oil level next time the bike is running and see if it sits at the bottom of the sight glass. Thanks for the tip Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Martin
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 10/16/06 at 07:52:37

Can someone please enlighten the ignorants (that is, me) about the benefits of an oil cooler and external filter? What type of use/ operating environments justifies or requires that?

Thank you,

Martin

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #29 - 10/16/06 at 14:39:15

martin,
less heat = less friction = longer engine life,better peformance...in the hotter climes especially..
plus its another gadget for us tinkerers Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:23:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil cooler/external oil filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.